• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No Display from RX 6600

RX6600wner

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: Radeon-RX-6600-XT-MECH-2X-8G-OCV1 (second hand)

CPU: Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz

Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP

BIOS Version: P1.80 (but also didn't work with P1.50)

RAM: 32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz

PSU: Integrator 850W

Monitor: Philips 273V7QJAB

Case: IONZ KZ21 Full ATX 3x120mm Fans 2 pull one push

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (fully updated) - dual boot w/ Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (fully updated) : have tried to install card on both.

GPU Drivers: Currently each cards driver is shown in the screenshots attached. AMD automatic driver detection seems to suggest the same driver for both cards; 24.7.1

USED DDU to remove old driver before trying new card. Any time the driver seems to install, I reboot, there's a yellow triangle, and the installed driver is some Microsoft version, not the one I tried to install. Even when it says it has installed Adrenalin drivers or Pro drivers and to reboot, result is no signal from the card, and the driver I just installed doesn't seem to have installed.

Chipset Drivers: Intel H77 chipset with stock motherboard drivers

Background Applications: N/A

Description of Original Problem: Bought an MSI RX-6600-XT to upgrade from a working RX-570M that's flashed with a 580 BIOS (game compatibility reasons).

Used DDU to remove the 580 Polaris driver, turned off PC, Inserted RX-6600 connected via HDMI and not even a splash screen load. Black screen: no signal; monitor sleeps.

When the card is in I can't get a signal from the mobo onboard graphics either. It seems to disable graphics output for the PC entirely.

Just black. No Splash screens, so can't even see the BIOS prompts. BIOS has no graphics card related options other than to allow onboard graphics to sleep.

When the RX-6600 is slotted in as the only card (either slot), as soon as I press the power button the PC is straight off with no delay.

When the RX-6600 is not slotted in, if I press the power button the PC does a regular shut down and takes 5 seconds or so

If I add my 570M in the top PCI-E slot, the PC boots and shuts down normally, even with the RX 6600 in the lower slot, and the onboard graphics work when there is no card in at all.

Since having both cards in let's me get into Windows using either the onboard graphics or the RX-570M, I was able to do the following troubleshooting.

Troubleshooting: Updated the H-77-PRO BIOS from 1.5 to 1.8. I had to downgrade it to factory 1.5 to get the RX-570 working back in the day. The 580 BIOS I flashed onto the RX-570 means it now works fine with 1.8.

The RX-570M has the correct amount of shaders to allow this, but that was another Black Screen of Death nightmare to get up and running after I bought it second hand years ago.

Before updating the motherboard BIOS, I had removed all but 1x8GB RAM stick, so I booted with 8GB and both cards in and for the first time with the RX-6600 slotted in, Windows loaded normally.

Rebooting and adding one more stick of RAM back in after that didn't cause any complications, as far as I can tell.

When Windows loads with both cards in, I check Device Manager and load up MSI Afterburner. Since this is the only way I can get the PC to boot, I can't troubleshoot the RX-6600 on it's own.

The PC will not give a display even from onboard graphics if only the RX-6600 card is in either PCI-E 16X slot.

Device Manager will have a yellow triangle above the RX-6600 that can be fixed in a minute by removing the device then searching for new hardware.

Windows finds it, and it then downloads the correct driver with the standard icon displayed that says it's correctly installed.

At that point, all three graphics units are "functioning" or should do, as far as Windows is concerned.

That doesn't actually work out in practice, as I still can't get a display out from the RX-6600, but can switch between the other two easily whether it's installed or not.

Afterburner will show me 3 GPUs, but the 3rd for the RX-6600 is not listed with the name of the card. The RX-570 and onboard graphics are.

GPU-Z does see and list all the cards, as does Device Manager.

Slot 3 in Afterburner just has "3" and no card model at all. When I switch Afterburner to that card it shows no option for me to interact with it to overvolt etc, like I can on the others, no matter what I enable in Afterburner settings.

I have tried every combination of each card in together and solo, swapping top and bottom slots, power connected and not connected to both or either, HDMI and Display Port connected to both, either and the onboard graphics, and tried all possible connections alternately in each.

I've removed both the cards from Device Manager and updated the drivers, rolled back the drivers, and tried disabling each then rebooting.

My RX-570 boots up just fine and installs the basic driver automatically within a few minutes of being in Windows.

I have also installed various Adrenaline and Amernime builds with the RX-570 with overall stable results.

The 6+2=8 pin power connector is fitted to the RX-6600, and both fans spin as expected.

When I had problems with my RX-570 a while back (had to change driver due to crashes in Bully and Hogwarts Legacy on latest Adrenalin) I could just plug in my onboard graphics while the card was in the slot, and I'd get a display exclusively from the onboard.

I expected the same thing with the 6600, but there is nothing but a black screen and plugging in the onboard doesn't change that.

Nothing comes up on the screen apart from some message bopping around on a black screen saying no display detected, then entering sleep mode shortly after.

Again, the PC is working fine with RX 580 or Onboard Graphics as long as the RX-6600 is not installed at all.

If it is installed without the RX-570M in the top PCI-E slot, it's a solid black screen and never boots into Windows.

Soon as I add back the RX-570M, I can get the PC to at least load into Windows.

Thought this card might have a flashed BIOS, GPU-Z reports it's BIOS Version: 020.003.000.030.000000.

Everything else about the card seems standard, and it looks basically brand new.

Not fully looked into the possibility of it being an incredibly good fake, but most fakes are incredibly bad. This one looks fully legit and like any other standard MSI RX 6600 MECH.

I had to remove all but one stick of RAM and put it in the lower slot on my Asrock H77-Pro (1.8 BIOS) to even see the card was installed.

Adrenalin doesn't report the name of the card but it's recognised as a RX 6600 in Device Manager.
Just can't get it to output any display at all, and I'm running out of troubleshooting ideas, or insights into what the problem might be.

I've uninstalled drivers in safe mode and tried to install the Pro 22-Q4 and Adrenalin-edition-24.7.1-minimalsetup-240805_web as well as full version. Tried that several times.

Anyone got a clue what could be wrong, or how to diagnose it?

Attachments

• rx6600screenshotdevmang.png
    rx6600screenshotdevmang.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Rx570driver.png
    Rx570driver.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 51
  • rx6600gpuz.png
    rx6600gpuz.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 61
System Name Obliterator
Processor Ryzen 7 7700x PBO
Motherboard ASRock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 G2 LBC
Memory G.skill Trident Z5 Neo 6000@CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock rx7900 GRE Steel Legend
Storage 2 x 2TB Samsung 990 pro nmve ssd 2 X 4TB Samsung 870 evo sata ssd 1 X 18TB WD Gold sata hdd
Display(s) LG 27GN750-B
Case Fractal Torrent
Audio Device(s) Klipsch promedia heritage 2.1
Power Supply FSP Hydro TI 1000w
Mouse SteelSeries Prime+
Keyboard Lenovo SK-8825 (L)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 21H2 / Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC 24H2 with multiple flavors of VM
UEFI or CSM/legacy boot? Could be a GOP problem or the rx6600 just doesn't support csm/legacy, so it just can't use it for boot display. Maybe, maybe not....but worth looking into.

RX6600wner

UEFI or CSM/legacy boot? Could be a GOP problem or the rx6600 just doesn't support csm/legacy, so it just can't use it for boot display. Maybe, maybe not....but worth looking into.
UFEI all the way. I've been through the BIOS pretty thoroughly. The main reason I'm persevering with trying to get the card to work is that I had such a similar problem with my RX570M with the 580 BIOS. It was almost identical in terms of what was happening, and I managed to get it working by sheer bloody minded persistence and trying everything possible.

The board is ancient, but it does have the 2022 BIOS on it now, but the RX-6600 is a much newer card. I do wonder if the slots are fully compatible, even though technically they should be. The card running at 8x in a 16x slot is another factor, that again "shouldn't" be important, but might be.

My reading on this also indicates several people have had very similar problems, with the drivers just not taking. The card appearing to work for one boot cycle, and they the drivers needing reinstalled every time.

Not exactly my problem, as my card doesn't output a display at all, but that is also part of my problem. The drivers don't seem to stay installed, even when Pro or Adrenalin say they have.

It was also unclear if those people had back-up display coming from onboard graphics or not, which I do.

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name DarnGosh Edition
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E GAMING PLUS
Cooling AM5 Contact Frame + Thermalright PS120SE
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000 CL32-38-38-96
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage WD SN770 1TB (Boot)| 2x 2TB WD SN770 (Gaming)| 2x 2TB Crucial BX500| 2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White) {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 80+ GOLD
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Since you say the card was secondhand. My immediate priority is finding out if the 6600 is in working condition and not had its bios tampered with. Too many times have I heard stories about owners doing some bios tampering, messing their card up and being unable to fix it so they flipped it on FBMP or ebay etc etc.

Is there any way you can test the card in a different machine?

RX6600wner

Since you say the card was secondhand. My immediate priority is finding out if the 6600 is in working condition and not had its bios tampered with. Too many times have I heard stories about owners doing some bios tampering, messing their card up and being unable to fix it so they flipped it on FBMP or ebay etc etc.

Is there any way you can test the card in a different machine?
I've had the card a day, so haven't had time to find and absorb every bit of information yet. Just thought it possible someone here would have a lot more experience than me, maybe on that specific card.

No display at all was also the issue with my previous (also second hand) card. Someone had flashed the BIOS and it wasn't compatible with the motherboard BIOS I was running at that time.

Same display issue, almost exactly, and it took me a few days to read up on it and get it working. I am unaware if the 6600 has valid BIOS flash "upgrades", but it is "possible" the first owner just messed up and flashed completely the wrong BIOS.

That is such a stupid thing to do, that I'm still hoping nobody actually did it... but I am aware it is unfortunately somewhat possible. I don't know enough about the card to know if it is actually possible to apply a non-compatible BIOS to it, and GPU-Z does report it as having the original BIOS revision.

I actually thought AMD's own BIOS tool wouldn't allow a non-compatible BIOS to be flashed, but there are probably work-arounds for the determined GPU destroyer. I'm continuing to research and hope.

I'm interested in recovering the card, and did suspect someone had messed with it as soon as they bought it, screwed it up, then re-flashed the original BIOS unsuccessfully. That's my "most likely scenario".

It still seems unlikely, but I'm kind of out of possibilities. Cards are tested before sale, and usually don't just fry and die, at least not without actually pretty much trying to fry it...and even then.

It has not been disassembled according to the sticker over one screw. It's possible, but unlikely again, that it got damaged by severe mishandling but not sure what they would have had to do it.

The fact GPU-Z can detect and read everything about it fine is encouraging, but the fact Afterburner doesn't list a model for the card does make me wonder about the integrity of the BIOS.

Cosmetically, the card looks like it's never been used. The fans run. It's recognised by Windows, and I can install at least the MS driver version of it (hard not to actually, it's been automatically pushed on it before I can complete an install from AMD on at least one of my attempts to get the card working).

More or less my first though was someone had messed up a BIOS flash on the card, but the BIOS revision reported by GPU-Z seems to be the default BIOS for the card.

I have a a PC with onboard graphics and 2 PCI slots, and I have a new board with a single PCI slot and new CPU with no onboard as my upgrade.

I want to get the 6600 reflashed and working again (if that is the problem) before I transfer everything to my new set up, as with no other graphics output I'm not going to be able to do anything on the card if there is no alternative display out.

I'm hoping that was the problem the previous owner had, and that because I do have additional working GPUs I will be able to flash the card if necessary.

I've not done that for a few years or researched it fully for this particular card. I can find videos on flashing the full BIOS onto the Mobile versions, so assume it will be using the same tools.

Just don't want to do a BIOS flash on the card unless it's absolutely necessary or in case there is some other possible problem I could be overlooking.

I've been hoping it is just an incompatibility with my current board, but I am also aware that should technically be the case either, and other signs such as the PC switching off like a light switch when I press "Power" when it's the only card in the machine doesn't add up either.

I hate giving up on things like this, or not fully understanding what is actually wrong, so I'll keep at it.

Thanks for any insights or experience on this kind of thing anyone can share.

It's not entirely my area of expertise.

Attachments

• rx6600BIOS report.png
    rx6600BIOS report.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 43

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
So where did you buy the card from?

I've had the card a day, so haven't had time to find and absorb every bit of information yet. Just thought it possible someone here would have a lot more experience than me, maybe on that specific card.

No display at all was also the issue with my previous (also second hand) card. Someone had flashed the BIOS and it wasn't compatible with the motherboard BIOS I was running at that time.

Same display issue, almost exactly, and it took me a few days to read up on it and get it working. I am unaware if the 6600 has valid BIOS flash "upgrades", but it is "possible" the first owner just messed up and flashed completely the wrong BIOS.

That is such a stupid thing to do, that I'm still hoping nobody actually did it... but I am aware it is unfortunately somewhat possible. I don't know enough about the card to know if it is actually possible to apply a non-compatible BIOS to it, and GPU-Z does report it as having the original BIOS revision.

I actually thought AMD's own BIOS tool wouldn't allow a non-compatible BIOS to be flashed, but there are probably work-arounds for the determined GPU destroyer. I'm continuing to research and hope.

I'm interested in recovering the card, and did suspect someone had messed with it as soon as they bought it, screwed it up, then re-flashed the original BIOS unsuccessfully. That's my "most likely scenario".

It still seems unlikely, but I'm kind of out of possibilities. Cards are tested before sale, and usually don't just fry and die, at least not without actually pretty much trying to fry it...and even then.

It has not been disassembled according to the sticker over one screw. It's possible, but unlikely again, that it got damaged by severe mishandling but not sure what they would have had to do it.

The fact GPU-Z can detect and read everything about it fine is encouraging, but the fact Afterburner doesn't list a model for the card does make me wonder about the integrity of the BIOS.

Cosmetically, the card looks like it's never been used. The fans run. It's recognised by Windows, and I can install at least the MS driver version of it (hard not to actually, it's been automatically pushed on it before I can complete an install from AMD on at least one of my attempts to get the card working).

More or less my first though was someone had messed up a BIOS flash on the card, but the BIOS revision reported by GPU-Z seems to be the default BIOS for the card.

I have a a PC with onboard graphics and 2 PCI slots, and I have a new board with a single PCI slot and new CPU with no onboard as my upgrade.

I want to get the 6600 reflashed and working again (if that is the problem) before I transfer everything to my new set up, as with no other graphics output I'm not going to be able to do anything on the card if there is no alternative display out.

I'm hoping that was the problem the previous owner had, and that because I do have additional working GPUs I will be able to flash the card if necessary.

I've not done that for a few years or researched it fully for this particular card. I can find videos on flashing the full BIOS onto the Mobile versions, so assume it will be using the same tools.

Just don't want to do a BIOS flash on the card unless it's absolutely necessary or in case there is some other possible problem I could be overlooking.

I've been hoping it is just an incompatibility with my current board, but I am also aware that should technically be the case either, and other signs such as the PC switching off like a light switch when I press "Power" when it's the only card in the machine doesn't add up either.

I hate giving up on things like this, or not fully understanding what is actually wrong, so I'll keep at it.

Thanks for any insights or experience on this kind of thing anyone can share.

It's not entirely my area of expertise.
Start posting sticker pics from the card back, also a pic of a ram chip helps too

Also why did you use 1.50 and not try to use 1.70 for the motherboard bios?

RX6600wner

Latest update on this. Downloaded the flash tool and BIOS for the card from TechPowerUP, and I get a "mismatch".

EDIT: Added a pic of the actual BIOS version I tried on the card that gave a mismatch.

I did then try an "unverified" BIOS for the same card, and that did in fact claim to have worked.

That was according to AMDVBFlash/ATIFlash 3.31

Still no video output.

Attachments

• RX6600FLASH.png
    RX6600FLASH.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 36
  • rx6600 MISmatch.png
    rx6600 MISmatch.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 37
  • rx6600 tpu BIOS options.png
    rx6600 tpu BIOS options.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Latest update on this. Downloaded the flash tool and BIOS for the card from TechPowerUP, and I get a "mismatch".
Stop trying to use winflash

JUST STOP, follow my directions above please

RX6600wner

Start posting sticker pics from the card back, also a pic of a ram chip helps too

I had to revert the motherboard BIOS at some point, but it's now flashed to 1.8 and has been for most of the time I'm trying to get this card to work. Just tried flashing it with an "unverified" BIOS from this site for the same card, and that DID say it was successful. Sill no output signal from the card.

Following instructions of contributors on thread I will turn off PC, remove card and take a picture of the back. Disassembling it to get pics of the chips is necessary, or not?

Ebay. The seller said "I can't test the card" so I got it cheap...if I can get it to work, that is!

I had to revert the motherboard BIOS at some point, but it's now flashed to 1.8 and has been for most of the time I'm trying to get this card to work. The card succesfully reflashed with the original BIOS now, but that was before I read your STOP code. Have now stopped.
Stop trying to use winflash

JUST STOP, follow my directions above please
Will do. This is the current reports from Windows and GPU-Z. Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

I've seen at least three threads on the front page for this card range (6600) currently. I guess this one makes four, and I guess I better read the other three.

Will also read all the links in your sig, as even if it's not a bad BIOS flash, I'm bound to learn something.

Here is the sticker on the back of the card as requested. Thanks.

By the way, I'm not using Winflash. I used the recommended AMDVBFlash/ATIFlash non command line version 3.31 as 5.0.567 has no GUI.

Attachments

• rx6600 driver version.png
    rx6600 driver version.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Card sticker.jpg
    Card sticker.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I had to revert the motherboard BIOS at some point, but it's now flashed to 1.8 and has been for most of the time I'm trying to get this card to work. Just tried flashing it with an "unverified" BIOS from this site for the same card, and that DID say it was successful. Sill no output signal from the card.

Following instructions of contributors on thread I will turn off PC, remove card and take a picture of the back. Disassembling it to get pics of the chips is necessary, or not?

Ebay. The seller said "I can't test the card" so I got it cheap...if I can get it to work, that is!

I had to revert the motherboard BIOS at some point, but it's now flashed to 1.8 and has been for most of the time I'm trying to get this card to work. The card succesfully reflashed with the original BIOS now, but that was before I read your STOP code. Have now stopped.

Will do. This is the current reports from Windows and GPU-Z. Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

I've seen at least three threads on the front page for this card range (6600) currently. I guess this one makes four, and I guess I better read the other three.

Will also read all the links in your sig, as even if it's not a bad BIOS flash, I'm bound to learn something.

Here is the sticker on the back of the card as requested. Thanks.

By the way, I'm not using Winflash. I used the recommended AMDVBFlash/ATIFlash non command line version 3.31 as 5.0.567 has no GUI.
Ok

These are the only files we have for that card.

Since youve tried a few things already, You might consider returning the card as defective and get your money back.

Typically those who claim haven't tested, did actually test and found them defective.

Last edited:
System Name Obliterator
Storage 2 x 2TB Samsung 990 pro nmve ssd 2 X 4TB Samsung 870 evo sata ssd 1 X 18TB WD Gold sata hdd
Display(s) LG 27GN750-B
Case Fractal Torrent
Mouse SteelSeries Prime+
Software Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 21H2 / Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC 24H2 with multiple flavors of VM
So you have or have not tried it in a different system/motherboard? That would tell you what you need to know pretty quick. If it won't work on second know working board/system, then send it back. Sounds like you have another motherboard and cpu to test with. Give it a try.

System Name Gaming1 / Office 2
Processor Intel i7 7700k@4.8ghz / Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard MSI 270 SLI PLUS / MSI MAG X570S - TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Cooling ID-Cooling Frostflow X 120 - Liquid / ID-Cooling SE-903 V2
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6600XT 8GB / XFX RX 5700XT THICC III Ultra 8GB
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 2x Dell 3008 WFP
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 / GENESIS IRID 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster XFI / Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 850 W / Seasonic Focus 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech G5
Keyboard Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205 / Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205
Software 1st - Win 10 Pro X64 / Win 7 X86 / Ubuntu / 2nd - Windows 11 Pro x64
I totally agree with @DirtyDingusMcgee
Before anything else i would strongly suggest to test your card in another system.

RX6600wner

I totally agree with @DirtyDingusMcgee
Before anything else i would strongly suggest to test your card in another system.
Yeah, I have one, but only one case, so I need to back up everything, reinstall everything, and I guess if the 6600 doesn't work in that rig I only have one PCI-E slot and no onboard graphics. That's why I was hoping to get it working in my current system before trying it.

Might go for it. Worst that can happen is it doesn't work and if I want to keep at trying to get it working I have to put all my old parts back in the case.

It just annoys me that there seems to be nothing wrong with the card at some level, but if a BIOS flash won't fix it for my current rig (which I just tried) I guess I can only hope it's somehow just not compatible with that motherboard or my config on my current rig somewhere.

It's not looking like I will be able to get it working though, so I'll build the other one in tomorrow, and if it doesn't work on that... it goes back to seller.

It's just the feeling I'm missing something, that pains me to loose a potentially better card than my RX570.

I only really upgraded as that was getting stutter on Hogwarts Legacy, and I thought it was down to the 4GB V-RAM.

Since I can't test that, I guess I have to get on with my back-ups and getting my license keys ready.

Last edited:
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Hello.
This is the life of a Windows user.
I reinstalled my Win 10 at least 10 times this year.
But i am used to, so i do it with my eyes closed.
In your case it could be frustrating now, but in case you make it work it will be forgotten.
On the other hand, if you discover that you have a faulty card then you can take the right measures for that case.

System Name YACS amd
Processor 5800x,
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite.
Cooling bykski GPU, and CPU, syscooling p93x pump
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 stock timings.
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.
i have had this happen to me (rarely, but happens) when i reset the BIOS on my 7900xtx.(x570 mb , 5800x)
i fixed it, (weirdly, i will say) by using an nvidia card (a 1050ti) booting to desktop, shuting down, then replacing it my AMD gpu.
never happens again until the system crashes, and i have to reset the bios…

i think of it as a bios bug, but what do i know… because the 5800x has no IGP, so maybe the BIOS is stuck displaying Graphics to a non-existent display. no idea why using a Nvidia gpu once to boot, fixes it, when i have a black screen of boot with my AMD card.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
i have had this happen to me (rarely, but happens) when i reset the BIOS on my 7900xtx.(x570 mb , 5800x)
i fixed it, (weirdly, i will say) by using an nvidia card (a 1050ti) booting to desktop, shuting down, then replacing it my AMD gpu.
never happens again until the system crashes, and i have to reset the bios…

i think of it as a bios bug, but what do i know… because the 5800x has no IGP, so maybe the BIOS is stuck displaying Graphics to a non-existent display. no idea why using a Nvidia gpu once to boot, fixes it, when i have a black screen of boot with my AMD card.
Must be a gigabyte thing, never had this on the AsRock Build I did in 2021 with a 5800 with a XFX R7 250X Ghost

RX6600wner

Ok, I don't think I posted this part. Code 43. So looks like Windows is stopping it for some reason. What would that be most likely to be. That explains none of the drivers taking and the yellow triangle in device manager.

Been looking at soder station reflow options, but how likely is it a card that looks as if it's never been used (it's "straight out the box" shiny and clean) has had GPU soder crack? Most also say with modern lead free soder, this isn't the long term solution that it could otherwise be, so I'm not intending to go to that extreme.

What kind of thing would possibly fry an almost brand new card with no signs of visible physical damage? I am leaning more towards some hardware fault at this point, as the BIOS reflash did nothing.

Attachments

• rx6600code43.png
    rx6600code43.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Ok, I don't think I posted this part. Code 43. So looks like Windows is stopping it for some reason. What would that be most likely to be. That explains none of the drivers taking and the yellow triangle in device manager.

Been looking at soder station reflow options, but how likely is it a card that looks as if it's never been used (it's "straight out the box" shiny and clean) has had GPU soder crack? Most also say with modern lead free soder, this isn't the long term solution that it could otherwise be, so I'm not intending to go to that extreme.

What kind of thing would possibly fry an almost brand new card with no signs of visible physical damage? I am leaning more towards some hardware fault at this point, as the BIOS reflash did nothing.
It was not new but second hand, you can't verify it was good from the description off ebay, don't waste more time on this, send it back.

D

Deleted member 229121

Time to cut bait here as suggested, you have eBay buyer protection thankfully.
Return the card, and if they have no returns set on the auction open a dispute, the buyer wins every time.

System Name Obliterator
Display(s) LG 27GN750-B
Case Fractal Torrent
Mouse SteelSeries Prime+

RX6600wner

Time to cut bait here as suggested, you have eBay buyer protection thankfully.
Return the card, and if they have no returns set on the auction open a dispute, the buyer wins every time.

Yeah, it's looking that way. Didn't know you could return a card listed as no returns, so thanks for the info. Looks like I will make do with my trusty RX-570 for a bit longer. It does everything I need it to (other than made Hogwarts Legacy a bit less than perfect on the broomstick missions...) but I'm not really huge on needing to play all the latest AAA titles, so I'm not going to notice having a card that's just "ok" for quite a while.

Thanks for all the advice, which has probably saved me many hours of wasted time on a dead card, but if anyone does have more ideas not listed, I'm probably not sending it back for another week or so as will need to get that arranged etc.

Cheers!

RX6600wner

Just for the sake of any future readers of this post, I should correct what I said about my RX-570. I originally purchased it on Ebay from a seller who (iirc...lol) admitted they had flashed it with a 580 BIOS and the card no longer worked. They would accept returns however and I got it pretty cheap. Since I had never flashed a card before, it took me days to work out how to do it with a DOS level BIOS flash as I only had one PCIe slot and no onboard graphics.

Just kept swapping in my old card to get the information and files I needed to flash the new one, prepped a USB stick...eventually... and considered it a miracle beyond all comprehension when I successfully got a display from the card. It no longer has a 580 BIOS at all.

Shame I can't do something similar with the RX-6600 I guess, but I am pretty frustrated about that as it's in such good condition to look at it's hard to believe there is hardware level damage.

I guess there must be.

At least the seller has a returns accepted policy.

Thanks again all who replied.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Yeah, it's looking that way. Didn't know you could return a card listed as no returns, so thanks for the info. Looks like I will make do with my trusty RX-570 for a bit longer. It does everything I need it to (other than made Hogwarts Legacy a bit less than perfect on the broomstick missions...) but I'm not really huge on needing to play all the latest AAA titles, so I'm not going to notice having a card that's just "ok" for quite a while.

Thanks for all the advice, which has probably saved me many hours of wasted time on a dead card, but if anyone does have more ideas not listed, I'm probably not sending it back for another week or so as will need to get that arranged etc.

Cheers!
Yes you can even listed as no returns, it is not working. And Please do yourself a favor and buy a brand new in box card, do not buy from aliexpress/alibaba, temu, etsy , tiktok, facebook, craigslist. You can buy truly new cards on ebay if the seller is on the up and up.

RX6600wner

Update. Built my new system today and tried the card in it. Still no display, so it's basically e-waste at this point. At least I didn't buy one of those "no returns accepted" cards, so I know I can return it without the seller trying to kick off on Ebay.

Was still an interesting learning experience and I have a few more tools and a bit more knowledge for the next time something like this happens.

The first bit of wisdom being; if it doesn't output a display, even after you flash the BIOS, return the card and get something that works.

Thanks to all who replied.