• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No Display from RX 6600

RX6600wner

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: Radeon-RX-6600-XT-MECH-2X-8G-OCV1 (second hand)

CPU: Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz

Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP

BIOS Version: P1.80 (but also didn't work with P1.50)

RAM: 32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz

PSU: Integrator 850W

Monitor: Philips 273V7QJAB

Case: IONZ KZ21 Full ATX 3x120mm Fans 2 pull one push

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (fully updated) - dual boot w/ Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (fully updated) : have tried to install card on both.

GPU Drivers: Currently each cards driver is shown in the screenshots attached. AMD automatic driver detection seems to suggest the same driver for both cards; 24.7.1

USED DDU to remove old driver before trying new card. Any time the driver seems to install, I reboot, there's a yellow triangle, and the installed driver is some Microsoft version, not the one I tried to install. Even when it says it has installed Adrenalin drivers or Pro drivers and to reboot, result is no signal from the card, and the driver I just installed doesn't seem to have installed.

Chipset Drivers: Intel H77 chipset with stock motherboard drivers

Background Applications: N/A

Description of Original Problem: Bought an MSI RX-6600-XT to upgrade from a working RX-570M that's flashed with a 580 BIOS (game compatibility reasons).

Used DDU to remove the 580 Polaris driver, turned off PC, Inserted RX-6600 connected via HDMI and not even a splash screen load. Black screen: no signal; monitor sleeps.

When the card is in I can't get a signal from the mobo onboard graphics either. It seems to disable graphics output for the PC entirely.

Just black. No Splash screens, so can't even see the BIOS prompts. BIOS has no graphics card related options other than to allow onboard graphics to sleep.

When the RX-6600 is slotted in as the only card (either slot), as soon as I press the power button the PC is straight off with no delay.

When the RX-6600 is not slotted in, if I press the power button the PC does a regular shut down and takes 5 seconds or so

If I add my 570M in the top PCI-E slot, the PC boots and shuts down normally, even with the RX 6600 in the lower slot, and the onboard graphics work when there is no card in at all.

Since having both cards in let's me get into Windows using either the onboard graphics or the RX-570M, I was able to do the following troubleshooting.

Troubleshooting: Updated the H-77-PRO BIOS from 1.5 to 1.8. I had to downgrade it to factory 1.5 to get the RX-570 working back in the day. The 580 BIOS I flashed onto the RX-570 means it now works fine with 1.8.

The RX-570M has the correct amount of shaders to allow this, but that was another Black Screen of Death nightmare to get up and running after I bought it second hand years ago.

Before updating the motherboard BIOS, I had removed all but 1x8GB RAM stick, so I booted with 8GB and both cards in and for the first time with the RX-6600 slotted in, Windows loaded normally.

Rebooting and adding one more stick of RAM back in after that didn't cause any complications, as far as I can tell.

When Windows loads with both cards in, I check Device Manager and load up MSI Afterburner. Since this is the only way I can get the PC to boot, I can't troubleshoot the RX-6600 on it's own.

The PC will not give a display even from onboard graphics if only the RX-6600 card is in either PCI-E 16X slot.

Device Manager will have a yellow triangle above the RX-6600 that can be fixed in a minute by removing the device then searching for new hardware.

Windows finds it, and it then downloads the correct driver with the standard icon displayed that says it's correctly installed.

At that point, all three graphics units are "functioning" or should do, as far as Windows is concerned.

That doesn't actually work out in practice, as I still can't get a display out from the RX-6600, but can switch between the other two easily whether it's installed or not.

Afterburner will show me 3 GPUs, but the 3rd for the RX-6600 is not listed with the name of the card. The RX-570 and onboard graphics are.

GPU-Z does see and list all the cards, as does Device Manager.

Slot 3 in Afterburner just has "3" and no card model at all. When I switch Afterburner to that card it shows no option for me to interact with it to overvolt etc, like I can on the others, no matter what I enable in Afterburner settings.

I have tried every combination of each card in together and solo, swapping top and bottom slots, power connected and not connected to both or either, HDMI and Display Port connected to both, either and the onboard graphics, and tried all possible connections alternately in each.

I've removed both the cards from Device Manager and updated the drivers, rolled back the drivers, and tried disabling each then rebooting.

My RX-570 boots up just fine and installs the basic driver automatically within a few minutes of being in Windows.

I have also installed various Adrenaline and Amernime builds with the RX-570 with overall stable results.

The 6+2=8 pin power connector is fitted to the RX-6600, and both fans spin as expected.

When I had problems with my RX-570 a while back (had to change driver due to crashes in Bully and Hogwarts Legacy on latest Adrenalin) I could just plug in my onboard graphics while the card was in the slot, and I'd get a display exclusively from the onboard.

I expected the same thing with the 6600, but there is nothing but a black screen and plugging in the onboard doesn't change that.

Nothing comes up on the screen apart from some message bopping around on a black screen saying no display detected, then entering sleep mode shortly after.

Again, the PC is working fine with RX 580 or Onboard Graphics as long as the RX-6600 is not installed at all.

If it is installed without the RX-570M in the top PCI-E slot, it's a solid black screen and never boots into Windows.

Soon as I add back the RX-570M, I can get the PC to at least load into Windows.

Thought this card might have a flashed BIOS, GPU-Z reports it's BIOS Version: 020.003.000.030.000000.

Everything else about the card seems standard, and it looks basically brand new.

Not fully looked into the possibility of it being an incredibly good fake, but most fakes are incredibly bad. This one looks fully legit and like any other standard MSI RX 6600 MECH.

I had to remove all but one stick of RAM and put it in the lower slot on my Asrock H77-Pro (1.8 BIOS) to even see the card was installed.

Adrenalin doesn't report the name of the card but it's recognised as a RX 6600 in Device Manager.
Just can't get it to output any display at all, and I'm running out of troubleshooting ideas, or insights into what the problem might be.

I've uninstalled drivers in safe mode and tried to install the Pro 22-Q4 and Adrenalin-edition-24.7.1-minimalsetup-240805_web as well as full version. Tried that several times.

Anyone got a clue what could be wrong, or how to diagnose it?

Attachments

• rx6600screenshotdevmang.png
    rx6600screenshotdevmang.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Rx570driver.png
    Rx570driver.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 4
  • rx6600gpuz.png
    rx6600gpuz.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 5
System Name Obliterator
Processor Ryzen 7 7700x PBO
Motherboard ASRock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Thermalright Frost Commander 140 Black
Memory G.skill Trident Z5 Neo 6000@CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock rx7900 GRE Steel Legend
Storage 2 x 2TB Samsung 990 pro nmve ssd 2 X 4TB Samsung 870 evo sata ssd 1 X 18TB WD Gold sata hdd
Display(s) LG 27GN750-B
Case Fractal Torrent
Audio Device(s) Klipsch promedia heritage 2.1
Power Supply FSP Hydro TI 1000w
Mouse SteelSeries Prime+
Keyboard Lenovo SK-8825 (L)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 21H2 / Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC 24H2 with multiple flavors of VM
UEFI or CSM/legacy boot? Could be a GOP problem or the rx6600 just doesn't support csm/legacy, so it just can't use it for boot display. Maybe, maybe not....but worth looking into.