• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

nvflashk - Flash any BIOS to NVIDIA GPUs - Safe board ID bypass up to 4xxx series

Vitalii89

I did. Result was a black screen and needed to go to safe mode to revert the original firmware.
The promise of the GUI looks tempting and easier to solve possible compatibility problems then just taking a random, closest firmware and uploading it just by console.
Yeah, I know.

Well, we got what we got really.

System Name PowerSpec 1720 (Clevo PB70EF-G)
Processor i7-8750H (UV)
Motherboard PB70EF-G
Cooling SYY 157
Memory 32GB 3000MHz 15-18-18-36 1T (OC)
Video Card(s) 115W RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 (OC/UV)
Storage 500GB WD Black SN700 NVME, 1TB Samsung 980
Display(s) 144Hz G-Sync 17.3" IPS
Case PowerSpec
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Pro-Gaming X
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Redragon K556/DITI K585
Software M$ Windows 10 Pro, Throttle Stop 9.5, MSi Afterburner, ParkControl
Flashed my 4070 numerous times. Worked every time. Re-installed drivers, fired up benchmarks and games. Performance was usually 50% of the factory vBIOS. Seems this MSi card is unhappy with any reflash. But that's okay, it performs really well.

Hi. I have a queston: flashed my RTX3060 using the BIOS from chineese RTX3060M on a desktop board. I made a backup copy of original BIOS, but problem is that I can not flash it back, all I got is this message: "The PCI BAR assignment for the processed device is invalid". What I did: tried first on Intel system in main PCI-E slot with PCI backup videocard, in second PCI-E slot with backup Radeon videocard, with PCI-E x1 videocard, in a riser - everytime I got the same massage. After I tried on AMD system - all the same. Also I tried to disable this 3060 in device manager (it's marked there as Microsoft standard VGA) - it did not helped. Any advice?

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
Hi. I have a queston: flashed my RTX3060 using the BIOS from chineese RTX3060M on a desktop board. I made a backup copy of original BIOS, but problem is that I can not flash it back, all I got is this message: "The PCI BAR assignment for the processed device is invalid". What I did: tried first on Intel system in main PCI-E slot with PCI backup videocard, in second PCI-E slot with backup Radeon videocard, with PCI-E x1 videocard, in a riser - everytime I got the same massage. After I tried on AMD system - all the same. Also I tried to disable this 3060 in device manager (it's marked there as Microsoft standard VGA) - it did not helped. Any advice?

Check MB bios for PCI Express 64-bit BAR Support maybe. check above 4G decode too

sheananigans

I have a PNY rtx 4070 which I have liquid cooled running a max boost clock of 3gHz stable, however I keep hitting the power limit. Would it be possible to flash it with one of the OC version bios? Like say from the Colorful iGame variant? That card has a higher TDP of 240w.

sheananigans

I realized that the iGame OC needs a 16pin power connector due to the limitations of 8pin. That being said, I got a copy of the bios for an Asus RTX 4070 OC which is still an 8pin. I successfully flashed this vbios and now have the ability to increase the power limit to 108% in afterburner. However even while overclocked pretty high, under full load gpuz is showing that the card has hit the power limit at only 185 W. I found a couple of threads where others with the Asus RTX 4070 OC were experiencing that with no resolution.

I did, thank you though. I’m not particularly concerned about some open source niche overclocking software being confused with a tiny cloud provider that was recently gobbled up by a larger company. NFINIT is a shortening of “infinitus” for “infinite” or “unbounded” like NVIDIA is a shortening of the Latin “invidia” for “envy”.
Any news on when the next updated release will be released?

pepo930

Flashed my ASUS DUAL RTX 4070 Super to TUF for an extra 5% power limit, which enabled me to run another 40Mhz on the core.

thatiam

Flashed my ASUS DUAL RTX 4070 Super to TUF for an extra 5% power limit, which enabled me to run another 40Mhz on the core.
I flashed my PNY 4070 XLR8, but in a benchmark the mhz dropped another did not boost. Backup works fine again. Maybe i should try more different vbios.

I have a PNY rtx 4070 which I have liquid cooled running a max boost clock of 3gHz stable, however I keep hitting the power limit. Would it be possible to flash it with one of the OC version bios? Like say from the Colorful iGame variant? That card has a higher TDP of 240w.
Problem is the 8pin is limited to 150w + 75w throug the board. My runs up to 3060mhz, stable, but in msi ab i need to set voltage 100%, added 0,01v but that made above 3000 stable

Hi everyone.

I require some guidance please for a very niche use case.

I have an rtx 2060 12gb that I want to use as a vgpu in proxmox or vmware. I know I can used a patch driver in proxmox so I don't need to flash the bios but I would also like to used another rtx 2060 in esxi.

Is it possible to flash the fw so I get the quadro 6000 equivalent features so I can use it with vgpu drivers? AFAIK the 6000 supports the very latest vgpu drivers in vmware so the rtx 2060 is a great option especially given it has 12gb of vram.

Another option it seems is to flash to tesla t4 which is similar architecture to rtx 2060 albeit with 16gb and not 12gb. Is the difference in memory goi going to be an issue?

If I can bios flash, please can either someone explain the procedure step by step here or as a private message?

I'm really keen to flash this card and start using it as a vgpu.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Guys, and Special thanks to @kefi for his work. It's been a long time since I did my last volt mod and bios mod to my gpu's and motherboard for squeezing every single benchmark points from them under the DICE, chiller and cascades. Overclock was fun back then. Any ways it was 15 years ago and I am really rusty about the topic. However I am having similar interest on modding the gpu bios and changing the gpu -pci id's to make it pretending as another card. I am reading for a couple of days the topics errors etc.

For my personal homelab use I really want to convert the rtx 3090ti to rtx a6000. Same purpose as @Michael_O, but not with vmware. I am planning to make tests on the Linux distros.

as I know the RTX3090 ti and and the RTX A6000 shares the same gpu model with the same amount of shaders, TMU's and ROP's. Clock speeds are slightly different. but the main difference is on the VRAM side. 3090ti has 24gig GDDR6X and A6000 has 48GIG GDDR6 non x memory. and of course it supports and uses ECC correction.

My question is, has anyone tried it to flash these kind of staff before? Or is it possible to enable SRIO-V in 3090ti bios like A6000?
Hi everyone.

I require some guidance please for a very niche use case.

I have an rtx 2060 12gb that I want to use as a vgpu in proxmox or vmware. I know I can used a patch driver in proxmox so I don't need to flash the bios but I would also like to used another rtx 2060 in esxi.

Is it possible to flash the fw so I get the quadro 6000 equivalent features so I can use it with vgpu drivers? AFAIK the 6000 supports the very latest vgpu drivers in vmware so the rtx 2060 is a great option especially given it has 12gb of vram.

Another option it seems is to flash to tesla t4 which is similar architecture to rtx 2060 albeit with 16gb and not 12gb. Is the difference in memory goi going to be an issue?

If I can bios flash, please can either someone explain the procedure step by step here or as a private message?

I'm really keen to flash this card and start using it as a vgpu.

Thanks

And @Michael_O, I belive it mey not be so possible have success on this, because according to database, 12 gb model uses TU106 GPU. but some 6 gig models are using TU104

unfortunately TU106 has not been used on any vgpu supported cards. but TU104 has used on Tesla T4 gpu. which is VGPU certified.

on the other hand if you would like to use Proxmox (which is open source and free and doesn't have problems with intel's big little cores) instead of VMware(you know they are killing the free usage tier after being sold to broadcom), there are some useful github repositories to enable the feature on basically any 9xx, 10xx and 20xx cards.

Thanks again to everyone to make these tools and make them accessible to the community.

Hi Guys, and Special thanks to @kefi for his work. It's been a long time since I did my last volt mod and bios mod to my gpu's and motherboard for squeezing every single benchmark points from them under the DICE, chiller and cascades. Overclock was fun back then. Any ways it was 15 years ago and I am really rusty about the topic. However I am having similar interest on modding the gpu bios and changing the gpu -pci id's to make it pretending as another card. I am reading for a couple of days the topics errors etc.

For my personal homelab use I really want to convert the rtx 3090ti to rtx a6000. Same purpose as @Michael_O, but not with vmware. I am planning to make tests on the Linux distros.

as I know the RTX3090 ti and and the RTX A6000 shares the same gpu model with the same amount of shaders, TMU's and ROP's. Clock speeds are slightly different. but the main difference is on the VRAM side. 3090ti has 24gig GDDR6X and A6000 has 48GIG GDDR6 non x memory. and of course it supports and uses ECC correction.

My question is, has anyone tried it to flash these kind of staff before? Or is it possible to enable SRIO-V in 3090ti bios like A6000?

And @Michael_O, I belive it mey not be so possible have success on this, because according to database, 12 gb model uses TU106 GPU. but some 6 gig models are using TU104

unfortunately TU106 has not been used on any vgpu supported cards. but TU104 has used on Tesla T4 gpu. which is VGPU certified.

on the other hand if you would like to use Proxmox (which is open source and free and doesn't have problems with intel's big little cores) instead of VMware(you know they are killing the free usage tier after being sold to broadcom), there are some useful github repositories to enable the feature on basically any 9xx, 10xx and 20xx cards.

Thanks again to everyone to make these tools and make them accessible to the community.
Thanks for the tip. TBH, I want to move awat from vmware for the reasons you highlighted anyway. I'll probably go with Proxmox since the community there is awesome.

zitev

Hi All,

A negative experience with nvflash: yesterday, based on the github description, I tried to load another BIOS onto one of my RTX2060 cards (Asus RTX2060 6GB TUF Gaming, v90.06.30.00.84), downloaded from the TechPowerUp BIOS database-page, another RTX2060 as card's BIOS (v90.06.2E.00.BC), since the two cards (and BIOS) are very similar, I accepted the risk due to the hoped-for performance and other benefits (and the possibility of a safe rollback promised by nvflashk). Well, I shouldn't have. After the writing process, the card started in safety mode (black screen after loading the driver), and it was not possible to reload the original BIOS content, the process stopped with a GPU error. From then on, I was unable to rewrite the original content in any way, so after an hour of useless attempts, I disassembled the card and directly wrote the BIOS chip on it using a TL866II (and the corresponding clamp adapter) (and once I disassembled it, I pasted it again ofc). After putting it back in, the card still started in safe mode, but nvflashk was already able to successfully rewrite the BACKUP-BIOS. I didn't expect that, I'm just saying so that others don't run into this thing...

System Name Detox sleeper
Processor Intel i9-7980XE@4,5Ghz
Motherboard Asrock x299 Taichi XE (custom bios with ecc reg support, old microcode)
Cooling Custom water: Alphacool XT45 1080 + 9xArctic P12, EK-D5 pump combo, EK Velocity D-RGB block
Memory 8x16Gb Hynix DJR ECC REG 3200@4000
Video Card(s) Intel Arc A770 LE 16Gb + RTX 3080 FE 10Gb
Storage Samsung PM9A1 1Tb + PM981 512Gb + Kingston HyperX 480Gb + Samsung Evo 860 500Gb
Display(s) HP ZR30W (30" 2560x1600)
Case Chieftec 1E0-500A-CT04 + AMD Sempron sticker
Audio Device(s) Genius Cavimanus
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex 750w Platinum
Mouse Logitech G400
Keyboard Dell Oem + Focus Fk2000 plus
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
CMP 100-210 to Tesla V100
Error.
Képernyőkép 2024-03-29 212732.png

This is just the initial release of the bypass, Veii definitely has the more flexible one that covers more edge cases.

The real plan for nvflashk is being a graphical interface and a bunch of QOL features like auto-recovery and searching TPU's database for compatible BIOSes! For now I'd say just choose whichever one you want and whichever one works. I'll probably have a test version ready by the end of the week.
9 months and nothing unless this is now posted else where for the latest release version? If anyone has links please share. Thank you all for your time and hard work. Peace...

Last edited:
System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
9 months and nothing unless this is now posted else where for the latest release version? If anyone has links please share. Thank you all for you time and hard work. Peace...

Nothing came of either this or Veii's version. Veii deleted their account on TPU and Kefi hasn't logged on since early November. I don't think there has been any further development.

Nothing came of either this or Veii's version. Veii deleted their account on TPU and Kefi hasn't logged on since early November. I don't think there has been any further development.
Yeah that seem to happen when something is released in public to soon. It gets shut down or nipped at the bud