• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA App Beta Upcoming Update Adds AV1 Recording and One-Click Performance Tuning

GFreeman

News Editor
Staff member
The NVIDIA app is the essential companion for gamers and creators with NVIDIA GPUs in their PCs and laptops. Our initial beta release in February was the first step in our journey to modernize and unify the NVIDIA Control Panel, GeForce Experience and RTX Experience, and on June 4th at 3am PT we're launching a new update with new features. Available for download via the in-app updater, and from our website, the new NVIDIA app beta update adds 120 FPS AV1 video capture, introduces one-click GPU performance tuning, enhances the NVIDIA app overlay, and further refines the user experience.

Whether you're a gaming enthusiast or a content creator, the NVIDIA app simplifies the process of keeping your PC updated with the latest GeForce Game Ready and NVIDIA Studio drivers, and enables quick discovery and installation of NVIDIA applications like GeForce NOW, NVIDIA Broadcast and NVIDIA Omniverse. Featuring a unified GPU control center, NVIDIA app allows fine-tuning of game and driver settings from a single place, while introducing a redesigned in-game overlay for convenient access to powerful gameplay recording tools, performance monitoring overlays, automatic SDR to HDR conversion in games, and game enhancing filters, including innovative new AI-powered filters for GeForce RTX users.

120 FPS AV1 Recording Enhances Your Videos
In the new NVIDIA app beta update, we've introduced support for AV1 SDR and HDR video encoding, greatly improving the clarity and quality of recordings.

Utilizing the eighth-generation NVIDIA Encoders (NVENC) on GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics cards and laptop GPUs, AV1 improves encoding efficiency by 40%, producing higher quality videos without requiring more disk space.

For gamers recording each multiplayer match and single-player walkthroughs, disk space savings are substantial, and if you save footage to the same drive your game is loaded from, the difference can ease any Input/Output-related stutters and accelerate loading times.

New with this release, the NVIDIA app now gives gamers the option of recording at 120 frames per second, for smoother, more immersive playback. While this option is available for all codecs, GeForce RTX 40 Series gamers can record even higher quality captures with AV1 at the same bit rates when compared to H.264.

To demonstrate the benefits of AV1, we've captured the opening cutscene from Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition using AV1 and H264, at 10 mbps, one of the most commonly used recording and streaming bit rates:

Using AV1, there are fewer blocky artifacts, color banding is reduced, and significantly more detail is preserved in fast motion scenes, better demonstrating the fidelity of Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition with maxed out PC settings and DLSS 3 Frame Generation.

To increase the quality of your recordings, open the NVIDIA app, click Settings on the left nav, and enable the NVIDIA overlay if it isn't already activated. Press the shortcut shown on-screen (Alt+Z by default), click the Settings cog icon at the top of the new panel that appears, click "Video Capture", select AV1 under "Codec", and change other settings as you see fit.

If you'd like to record PC tutorials or other out-of-game content, enable the "Desktop capture" option. Using "Instant Replay length" you can define the amount of recordings to continually save when gaming. This is great for ensuring you can always record hilarious and breathtaking moments. To enable, press Alt+Shift+F10, then press Alt+F10 in-game to save the last X minutes of gameplay.

Alternatively, you can press Alt+F9 to continuously record until you exit the game or press Alt+F9 again; if you simply want a screenshot, press Alt+F1.

For a rundown of other features in the NVIDIA app beta, head here. There are many, including in-game system stats, image enhancing and altering filters, automatic high-quality HDR, AI filters, and more.

Performance Panel & One-Click Automatic GPU Tuning
Owners of GeForce RTX desktop graphics cards and laptops can monitor and maximize the potential of their GPUs with the Performance Panel and one-click automatic GPU tuning. This returning feature scans your system performance characteristics and offers one-click automatic GPU tuning, optimizing your GPU's performance. Additionally, the automatic GPU Tuner also performs regular checkup scans on your GPU to ensure you continue to have the best tuning profile.

To access these performance features, open the new System section on NVIDIA app's left nav, click over to the Performance tab and initiate Automatic Tuning. Our app will then test your GPU's capabilities over the course of 10-20 minutes, during which time we recommend letting your system idle, otherwise results may be affected.

Power users may also adjust voltage, power, temperature and fan speed targets, which will change the parameters used by our advanced tuning algorithms. This is useful, for instance, if you wish to maximize performance without going above a certain temperature threshold, or want fans to spin at 70% max.

Please note that overclocking your GPU may cause your PC to become unstable or show visual artifacts in certain titles. Automatic Tuning will not damage your GPU or invalidate its warranty, however.

In-Game Overlay Updates
Our In-Game Overlay has undergone a comprehensive redesign in the first beta, and in this update, we have improved the user interface for Photo Mode, improving the way you can add filters for your photos. Furthermore, we've simplified the process to exit the overlay - Instead of pressing "escape," you can also now simply click outside of the menu to close it. We've also added GPU power in the Statistics section, enabling you to track usage in-game and in the app.

GeForce Reward: PC Game Pass
NVIDIA app users get access to rewards, such as in-game content, exclusive GeForce NOW premium membership offers, and more. Simply start the NVIDIA app and visit the Redeem tab to check out the latest rewards.

Starting June 4th at 6am PT, we're giving gamers 3 months of access to PC Game Pass, for free! PC Game Pass has high quality, day-one games available to download and play, including numerous titles enhanced with NVIDIA DLSS, NVIDIA Reflex, and ray-traced effects.

Take to the track in Forza Horizon 5 or Forza Motorsport, which both include ray tracing and DLSS, giving GeForce RTX gamers the definitive race-day experience. Or get crafty and build your own world in the fully ray-traced Minecraft with RTX. There are tons of games to choose from!

Here's how to claim the PC Game Pass GeForce Reward. starting June 4th at 6am PT:
  • Create an NVIDIA Account
  • If you created an account previously, head here and check you're enrolled in GeForce Rewards
  • Download and install GeForce Experience or the NVIDIA app beta. Or alternatively access GeForce NOW Rewards and follow the steps listed at the link
  • Open either GeForce Experience or the NVIDIA app beta with a GeForce GTX 10 Series or newer desktop PC or laptop
  • Login to your NVIDIA Account within your chosen app
  • Click on the Redeem section
  • Select the PC Game Pass GeForce Reward, starting June 4th at 6am
  • Follow the on-screen instructions

Next Steps
Your feedback matters; thank you for your continued support. We plan to continue adding the remaining NVIDIA Control Panel options in future updates, which encompass Display and Video settings, and will also introduce new features, including DLSS controls. We're also working on the much-requested multi-monitor support for RTX HDR.

Our primary goal with the NVIDIA app is to enhance the user experience, boost client performance, and pioneer RTX innovations. We continue to make progress in unifying the NVIDIA Control Panel, GeForce Experience and RTX Experience apps, and are on track to migrate GeForce Experience users to the new NVIDIA app by the end of the year.

In the next few weeks, GeForce Experience users who have checked the "Enable experimental features" box in the settings menu will be offered to upgrade to the new NVIDIA app beta.

Please share your thoughts via the in-app feedback feature on the top right of the window, and let us know what other features you'd like to see incorporated.

Stay tuned for more updates about the NVIDIA app on GeForce.com; if you haven't already tried the NVIDIA app beta, download it from our website. Also, be sure to check out our other Computex 2024 announcements to see how we're advancing gaming and creating with AI and NVIDIA RTX technologies.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Finally. Been asking for something other than H264 in Shadowplay for like 6 years now. AMD's Relive allows me to record in H264, HEVC, or AV1 depending on your GPU since basically day 1. While Nvidia's shadowplay forces the ancient H264 codec regardless of what my GPU is capable of. Sad that third party software like OBS and Discord was able to implement support for Nvidia's AV1 encoder years ahead of Nvidia themselves with shadowplay.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
This is good news. Now, if I could fix the issue where shadowplay disables itself, that would be a big improvement.

Any idea how i can disable the watermark icon on the top while recording? It totally ruins the videos, and i dont see a button to turn it off. Once i start recording, it automatically shows up in every video... GF experience never did that.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Any idea how i can disable the watermark icon on the top while recording? It totally ruins the videos, and i dont see a button to turn it off. Once i start recording, it automatically shows up in every video... GF experience never did that.
You can totally disable that, look in notification section of settings.

This is good news. Now, if I could fix the issue where shadowplay disables itself, that would be a big improvement.
I don't think it disables itself, it just loses track of active window. At least in the current version of Nvidia App.

Sadly, AV1 hardware encoding is only supported by 40-series Nvidia GPU's, right?

You can totally disable that, look in notification section of settings.

I don't think it disables itself, it just loses track of active window. At least in the current version of Nvidia App.

Sadly, AV1 hardware encoding is only supported by 40-series Nvidia GPU's, right?
I did, but what i mean is.. i wanna see the watermark for when I'm recording(cus i can't be sure when I'm or I'm not, i need to be aware) but i don't want it to show up in the videos themselfs.

Here is what i mean: So if i make a YouTube video, i don't want you to see the mark, as the viewer. I only wanna see it while i record, on my own monitor (Not in the recording itself). There is no way to make it work like GF experience so far, at least not from the notification place? Or am i wrong? That's why i went back to old Nvidia app, cus every video had the mark, and when i turn it off... i often didn't know if im actually recording or not lol. Imagine what can happen. You might fill up ur whole disk if you think ur not recording (it already happened to me lol) or you might think you are recording for work... but you ain't. So you are missing out on the footage (it also happened)

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I did, but what i mean is.. i wanna see the watermark for when I'm recording(cus i can't be sure when I'm or I'm not, i need to be aware) but i don't want it to show up in the videos themselfs.
But there's no watermark with Shadowplay. All my videos are recorded with it:

You only see it on your end if you have instant replay or recording enabled, the actual video doesn't have any overlay visible.

1717444661143.png

Here you can see the overlay icon captured with windows snap.

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Trying out the one click performance tuning, so far it looks like it's scanning the frequency range at specific voltage with a dummy load:
1717523384394.png

Seeing how it's now at 2055 MHz with my 3080 Ti I don't think it really works well. 59% into the scan too so who knows, I guess sky is the limit for Nvidia.

Edit.
Now it upped the voltage:
1717523517036.png

Now it maxed out power limit:
1717523605389.png

Final result:
1717523676091.png

It's done on a monthly basis during idle.
1717523742931.png

But there's no watermark with Shadowplay. All my videos are recorded with it:

You only see it on your end if you have instant replay or recording enabled, the actual video doesn't have any overlay visible.

View attachment 349851

Here you can see the overlay icon captured with windows snap.
That's cool, but how come it ends up being in all of my videos ;/ It's exactly what i want from the new software... Perhaps it's a bug, they did just release it I guess.