• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Beats Microsoft to Become World's Most Valuable Company, at $3.34 Trillion

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
With a market capitalization of USD $3.34 trillion, NVIDIA has beaten Microsoft to become the world's most valuable company. The company's valuation doubled year-over-year, thanks to its meteoric rise as the preeminent manufacturer of AI accelerator chips that's in a dominant position to support the productization and mainstreaming of generative AI, and the company only expects further growth of the AI acceleration industry. Chris Penrose, global head of business development for telecom at NVIDIA, speaking at an event in Copenhagen, said "The generative AI journey is really transforming businesses and telcos around the world," he said. "We're just at the beginning." BBC notes that eight years ago, NVIDIA was worth less than 1% of its current valuation.

In the most recent quarterly result, Q1 fiscal 2025, NVIDIA posted a revenue of $26 billion, with the Data Center business handling the company's AI GPUs making up the lion's share of it, at $22.6 billion. The Gaming and AI PC segment, which handles the GeForce GPU product line that used to be NVIDIA's main breadwinner until a few years ago, made just $2.6 billion, in stark contrast. This highlights that NVIDIA is now mainly a data center acceleration hardware company that happens to sell visual compute products on the side, along with a constellation of smaller product lines such as robotics and automobile self-driving hardware. With NVIDIA at the number-1 spot, the top-5 most valuable companies in the world are all American tech giants—NVIDIA, Microsoft, Apple, Alphabet (Google), and Amazon. The other companies in the top-10 list include Meta and Broadcom.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
That is how the game goes, they were into the AI sphere early and its gone bonkers. I am shocked its ahead of Microsoft.

Why so shocked? The stock markets are an even bigger money pit than crypto markets, the ones really holding the bag at the end of this "bull run" will probably see stars in the day especially when they can't monetize "AI" as they needed to :rolleyes:

Oh & the investment banker always takes his cut so there's that!

In the abyss, where all I can see is...nuthin !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Well maybe now, Jacket Man will splurge on some NEW jackets, different style, color, cut etc...instead of more of the same ole same same ones that he already has like 10K of, heeheehee :)

As long as my dividend checks keep coming, in ever-increasing amounts, I'd be ok with this......

But seriously, this is typical for tech companies, catch the wave early, ride it hard, and enjoy the spoils.... but I hate to think what will happen when the machine take over everything & eliminates Jacket Man & 99.99% of their staff... bubble buster anyone ?

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
My only regret is I should have put more money into their stock a year or so ago.
Same, feels too close now to the bubble bursting, but I should have bough shares in Nv and AMD years ago. 20/20 hindsight naturally.

In the abyss, where all I can see is...nuthin !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Same, feels too close now to the bubble bursting, but I should have bough shares in Nv and AMD years ago. 20/20 hindsight naturally.
As in "you snooze, you lose" :D

Soooo glad I bought my shares back in the day for way, way less than they are currently going for...

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
How the hell do you teach your kids that he should not be greedy, that greed is bad, while the greediest company in the world, just become richer than half of countries on the Planet. Almost 4 Trillion USD. The GDP of USA is only x10 times larger, just to make an ideea what mamooth of a company nGreedia is...

Last edited:
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
3.3 trillion buys a lot of leather jackets

System Name YACS amd
Processor 5800x,
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite.
Cooling bykski GPU, and CPU, syscooling p93x pump
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 stock timings.
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.

i think the term is “ Coulda shoulda woulda”
but, apple holds its value (blue chip stock) … Nvidia is a TiN stock, lol, (titanium nitride, or gold looking… you know TiN drill bits) or fools gold. will Nvidia stock hold its value?

will not last long, how many people are shorting Nvidia stock?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
AI feels like a big-tech circle jerk at the moment.

It hasn't really achieved anything industry-changing yet and at the end of the day, it needs to be profitable which means customers must be willing to pay for it - which eventually means end-users like us.

AI isn't useless and definitely has a future, but right now this looks like one crazy bubble that's going to leave a lot of people standing around and wondering where their money vanished to when the dust has settled.

System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550
Cooling Artic Freezer II 120
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX
Storage 2 TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Elite 120
With the recent split, it started at 120 and in a week went to 135.

i am concerned that its a bubble at this point. Not sure if its safe to buy more.

NVidia is a good company, but largest company is a mistaken market.

NVidia's profits is just $14B last quarter. Microsoft's was like $21B. Apple is $23B.

I don't expect a "collapse" or anything, but there will be a correction.

AI feels like a big-tech circle jerk at the moment.

It hasn't really achieved anything industry-changing yet and at the end of the day, it needs to be profitable which means customers must be willing to pay for it - which eventually means end-users like us.

AI isn't useless and definitely has a future, but right now this looks like one crazy bubble that's going to leave a lot of people standing around and wondering where their money vanished to when the dust has settled.

NVidia is best posed to benefit from this bubble though. Tons of people are buying NVidia equipment, and when the dust settles NVidia may lose some numbers in a quarter or two, but NVidia's cash pile will be large and invested into something better. GPUs are here to stay as a dominant form of compute, even if AI itself is a bubble.

But there's no way NVidia's elevated profits will stay this high (and even with these elevated profits, NVidia has far less profits than Microsoft or Apple).

Low quality post by FoulOnWhite
System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
AMD is on its back with its legs in the air like a tortoise.

Low quality post by Vayra86
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Considering it rose almost twice in size since January this screams bubble. It's not like they would die if (when) it burst, of course, but still this is beyond insane. Well, at least it looks good on GDP ratings... xD

Why so shocked? The stock markets are an even bigger money pit than crypto markets, the ones really holding the bag at the end of this "bull run" will probably see stars in the day especially when they can't monetize "AI" as they needed to :rolleyes:

Oh & the investment banker always takes his cut so there's that!
It's not bullshit like crypto though. It's also a vastly better use of GPUs than crypto, even more so than PC gaming. There's plenty of use for it. All that use is in getting rid of human jobs to create more money for those at the top. Which is... capitalism.

Remember the .com bubble? Except it wasn't the bubble people thought it was. Buying goods online really was the future. But the issue with the future is always it slaughters all the small players and gives birth to a few monopolies. Now everyone is on Amazon and brick and mortar stores are going away. At one point personal computers were a bubble. They didn't really do anything useful for most people. They were multi thousand dollar devices that people stored recipes on. Still more useful than PC gaming, but hardly a justification for one. Now every home has one and all work is done on them and they are in everything. Of coures this also required the mass slaughter of a lot of computer and component makers and consolidation.

The iPhone and iPad were widely mocked when they were released and they didn't work well. Now most people do most computing tasks on them. The cloud got mocked the same but now everything is there.

AI is here to stay. Like everything else it's going to take time to get there and all but the top players are going to be crushed and ruined and jobs are going to be lost left and right. That's just the way these things go. But it will get there. Amazon, Microsoft, Google, IBM, and Apple are going to be fine. Everyone that can't throw billions at it is going to be screwed. Even some who can, Elon, are already fucking up bad enough they are going to get screwed.

Considering majority of this valuation is coming from AI growth. So, supplier of raw material is valued higher than combined value of AI market at this point. Go figure!!

It's not bullshit like crypto though.
For me the stock markets are total BS, so no just so far as we're talking about the "valuations" I see no difference.
The cloud got mocked the same but now everything is there.
A lot of people, especially ones on tech forums like TPU, mock them for BS market8ing & rightly so. This in & of itself doesn't make or break anything in the real world ~ luck & yes timing makes a lot of difference. LG/Nokia did something similar a few years earlier than Jobs & really didn't go anywhere because they probably weren't ambitious enough & yes ~ marketing. The Symbian OS was great for its time, Nokia just didn't go full touchscreen when they needed to same goes for Blackberry!

For me the stock markets are total BS, so no just so far as we're talking about the "valuations" I see no difference.

Stock markets can become untethered to reality temporarily.

But at the end of the day: dividends and profits tie everything back down to reality. Eventually, companies run out of things to do with money and instead return the profits to their shareholders. Apple and Microsoft have reached this point (barely, they have small dividends... but dividends nonetheless).

But NVidia's 0.030% dividend is miniscule, and NVidia simply does not make enough profits to raise its Dividend (not at this valuation). In contrast, Pfizer is offering a 6.13% dividend. Does NVidia really think it can grown from here on out faster than Pfizer's 6.13% dividend? Or Ford (5%+ dividend).

Profits is the name of the game. If all the stock-growth is already priced in, then the Dividend-stocks take over as reliable "money making" strategy, as the growth eventually caps out as the hype-cycle ends. Its fun to ride the hype cycle up, but its difficult to choose when to get out of it (see ARK.k investing if you don't believe me).

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
NVidia is best posed to benefit from this bubble though. Tons of people are buying NVidia equipment, and when the dust settles NVidia may lose some numbers in a quarter or two, but NVidia's cash pile will be large and invested into something better. GPUs are here to stay as a dominant form of compute, even if AI itself is a bubble.

But there's no way NVidia's elevated profits will stay this high (and even with these elevated profits, NVidia has far less profits than Microsoft or Apple).

I'd say Nvidia has capitalized on the bubble but I wouldn't say they are poised for the future of AI. The future of AI, like bitcoin, likely resides is specialized ASICs and not GPUs. ASICs will massively reduce power consumption and cost. Bigger companies like Meta and Google can afford to create their own hardware specifically optimized for their own AI models and smaller vendors don't want skyhigh datacenter / cloud costs. In order for AI to become widespread the transition away from pricey Nvidia GPUs is a requirement.