• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia Driver keeps failing - W11 24h2 - bad GPU ?

izy

I am keep getting this error on my AMD system:
The description for Event ID 153 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
1724865546615.png

I upgraded to W11 24h2 and now im getting this error a lot. I had some kind of trouble before but rarely with the game freeze for a few seconds but i never checked the log, 99% i was having the same error but it was very rare.

I had my CPU and RAM OCed and my GPU with a good curve , everything was fine in general.

I went with default settings in BIOS and for GPU , same error.

Weird things on this system are that i have 2 different RAM kits 4x4 , but they were fine till some time ago , now they are running at default + i have an old power supply that had bad fan and i changed it ( some time ago).

This happens mostly when i alt tab from Visual Studio Code to World of Warcraft and back , it can be happening in other situation but i never noticed that so far (it can happen randomly if i have both opened without alt-tabbing) , it happens more if im using the PTR / BETA version of WOW ( im coding some addons).

Some time ago i had a problem that was getting this system rebooted , i lowered the CO from the CPU ,GPU and RAM OC and it was OK but i feel that it is the same problem.

The GPU is used at like 50% max when this is happening , i have frame limiter in WOW and the CPU cant top the GPU with my current settings anyway. All stress tests are passed fine (at least 6 hours) even with the OC on everything.

What i didn try is to remove the other RAM kit (that kinda sucks) or repalce the PSU. I will try to change cables and thing.

I am not sure if its only a problem because of WOW or VSC or just something about the windows , i also did a clean install to Nvidia Studio Drivers with the same result.

If anybody have some ideas please let me know , i think something is failing but not sure what as in general it works without any problems.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Are you running the latest drivers? If not, can you try the latest? If you are running the latest, can you try rolling back to the previous version?

izy

Are you running the latest drivers? If not, can you try the latest? If you are running the latest, can you try rolling back to the previous version?
I was using latest drivers , did try normal and studio same thing ... felt fine with the other drivers before update but i think it was still happening but less but i noticed it more now because i went on WOW Beta.
I also upgraded the MB BIOS to last version.

Hardware: b450 TH Max , 5700x , RTX 2060 Super. 600W PSU.

Thinking BAD PSU (but fails not under load) , BAD GPU (but fails not under load) , this 4 sticks hate each other so much .. (they pass all tests), CPU went wrong somehow (passes all tests), maybe some driver bug with my system (i didnt try an older driver just the last 2 studio and normal), MB failing somehow ? Seems way worse with the new Windows (but maybe i was not doing the same things on the old one, still happened i think)

It happens less with everything on default but it still happens .. only tested in the VSC and WOW scenario (10x more on WOW BETA) .. doesnt happen under stress test of any kind, ill have to keep it on default and see if it happens without WOW and VSC i guess.. dunno , its just weird, i want to replace the GPU first but i dont want to sell broken GPU tho (if its broken somehow) i have my other system anyway but i have all work stuff on this one atm.

Edit: Its fully random too, i dont seem to get a pattern, i think its happening more if i alt+tab alot (pretty sure if i dont alt tab alot it happens way less), the feeling is like when RAM is bad but its at default speed with 1.35v .. and i over tested this ram ( i didnt do it after the new updates , 2 3 days ago)

its pretty tricky , if it wasnt i was not going to ask :) any tips much appreciated.

Edit: at this point i want to sell the parts and i dont want to sell them broken, planning an upgrade, but i want to be able to use it for 1 2 months more without getting my data corrupted.

Last edited: