• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060 (Laptop) randomly performance capping due to power

System Name Dell G5 5590
Processor Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU
Motherboard 0CNDTP version A01
Memory 16GB RAM
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (Laptop)
Storage BC501A NVMe SK hynix 128GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 1TB HDD
Display(s) Intel(R) UHD Graphics 360
Power Supply 19.5V - 9.23 A - 180W La180PM180
Mouse TTEsports Level 10 M Advanced
Hello
For several months now I've been having low FPS when playing Elden Ring, but not always, sometimes I get 48-58 FPS, and sometimes 12-20 FPS, there is no in-between. I've tested with 3DMark Steel Nomad benchmark to determine it's not a game issue (settings from lowest to highest only change about 2 FPS and any configuration in the NVIDA control panel changes nothing).

For simplicity, I will further refer to the 12-20 FPS period as "low performance mode" and the 48-58 FPS period as "high performance mode".

About a month ago I downloaded GPU-Z and noticed most of the time I'm "PerfCap Reason: Pwr"; this coincides with the low performance mode.
This has confirmed it's not a game issue, since as soon as I boot up the computer I open GPU-Z and I see "PerfCap Reason: Pwr", but sometimes when I reset the computer I'm lucky and I get "PerfCap Reason: Idle" and everything works fine; I am in high performance mode and know I can open the game and play.

Something I've noticed is that when I first played the game on July 2023 my computer overheated enough to cook on it, and I sometimes got blue screens, but performance was fine and I got through most of the game without issue. Now it barely gets warm and temperatures seem quite far from 100°C, which I guess makes sense since if the GPU is not receiving enough power, then it doesn't heat up. Another odd thing is that if I disconnect the AC I get "PerfCap Reason: Pwr, Thermal". Upon connecting the AC again it goes back to "PerfCap Reason: Pwr".

Also, most of the time while on high performance mode streaming on discord doesn't affect performance, but when it does I can only fixing by rerolling (resetting the computer again intil I get "PerfCap Reason: Idle" instead of "Pwr"). Same with the SteamRec feature, it sometimes changes me to low performance mode (most of the time), but not always. I even was lucky enough to go through a major bossfight while streaming on discord and recording it with SteamRec while mantaining over 55FPS.

Things I've tried:
- Opening up the computer, cleaning the fans, reapplying thermal paste, even cleaning the wole motherboard.
- Setting the computer to prefer maximum performance
- Setting the options in NVIDIA control panel to best performance in everything that can be set to prefer performance and tried with and without all options thet mention "optimization"
- I've ensured the game is running in the dedicated GPU (I once tried to run it on integrated graphics and it was at most 8FPS)
- Changing the power adapter
- Changing the outlet I'm plugged to
- Changing the battery
- Removing the battery
- Removing all peripherals
- Formatting the computer (Only the windows "soft" formatting that keeps your files though)
- Moving the game to another disk
- Uninstalling and reinstalling NVIDIA drivers (DDU)
- Uninstalling the battery and AC adapter drivers on windows device manager
- Uninstalling and reinstalling DirectX 12
- Updating the BIOS
- Tried Overclocking and Undervolting but didn't manage to do any of them partly because I don't really know what I'm doing and partly because it seems Windows 10 Home doesn't support that
- Enabling FPS cap on NVIDIA settings
- Enabling VSync on NVIDIA settings overriding internal game config (This actually seemed to work for like two days, but only when set to "fast", any other option did nothing. Maybe coincidence)
- Turning the computer off by holding the power button an disconnecting the AC before resetting (This worked once)
- Praying to the elder gods in my sleep
- Complaining to chatGPT
- Complaining to FromSoft

Attached are pics of GPU-Z while idle

SPECS:
OS - Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language 64 bit version 10.0.19045
Model - Dell G5 5590
CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H
RAM - 16GB, two 8GB sticks 2667 MHz
BIOS - Dell Inc. 1.25.0 01-06-2023 (UEFI)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• specs.png
    specs.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 5
  • gpuz.png
    gpuz.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 7