• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Laptop Severely Limited by Anomalous Power Restriction

-_Eastern-Eagle_-

So, I've been having an issue for the past week or so that I'm hoping someone can give me even a little bit of a pointer towards.

I picked up a Gigabyte Aorus 17 Gaming Laptop last December. I usually prefer to stick to a powerful gaming desktop + weaker work laptop combination, but I decided to stick the two together and get a decent gaming laptop so I wouldn't have to worry about switching between setups after my daily commute.

Lately, I've noticed that my GPU's performance has been abysmal as of late, which is strange. When I first picked the thing up it was capable of running newly released games such as Dead Space Remake or Resident Evil 4 at just about maxed settings with a consistent 60+ FPS. It's been about perfect for what I wanted out of it. These days, when I first launch a game on it right after booting the laptop up, it will run at its usual high performance for about ten to twenty seconds, then suddenly tank the performance down to a slideshow level of less than 10 FPS, which it won't be able to come out of until I boot it up again. I can't play anything on it at this point since the performance is just that bad.

Below is a screenshot taken right after I boot the computer up and immediately after launching a game (in this case, A Plague Tale: Requiem):

gpz-after-before.gif

All looks fine, right? Well, reasonably. I assume all the red means something is up, but for the twenty seconds it holds this output, it'll run any game I play at max settings.

Twenty seconds later the output will change to this:

gpu-z-after.gif

So, right away, the clock speed is dropped to 247 mhz (some software will instead show the clock speed as 210 mhz), basically tanking the computer's ability to run just about any modern game. Likewise, the GPU load spikes to 99% and stays there just about until I turn the computer off.

A quick glance at the power consumption and the PerfCap value raises some additional eyebrows. A power consumption of 750 watts is outrageously high. There's no way these values are normal.

Some things I have tried to solve this:

1. Uninstalling and reinstalling my Nvidia drivers numerous times and reinstalling them. Done with GeForce Experience, then manually, then with DDU, but neither worked.

2. Uninstalling all performance monitoring or overclocking software. Also did nothing.

3. Flashing the BIOS. Also did nothing.

4. Updating all power settings to favour high performance.

5. Basically set every Nvida setting that can possibly limit power consumption to not do so.

I am reasonably certain this isn't an issue with thermal throttling. This has been happening even when the GPU temps have been in the 55-60 degrees Celsius range. They should be capable of running much hotter before this ever becomes an issue with the thermals.

So with all that said... anyone have any idea what this is? If it is a software problem or something miscellaneous that can be fixed, I'd love to get this laptop back into working order. If this is a hardware issue that just requires a replacement, I have it under warranty and can have it exchanged or replaced fairly quickly. Just want to know if anyone's seen anything like this before.

Attachments

• gpu-z-before.gif
    gpu-z-before.gif
    22.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
They all throttle

ClawsandAwws

I know this thread is old, but I have precisely the same problem. I even got it around the same time.

Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H 2.30 GHz
RAM: 16.0 GB
System : Windows 11 x64
iGPU: Intel Iris Xe Graphics / dGPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Ti Laptop GPU

I've tried pretty much all the same remedies and have had no success. Does anyone have any idea what to do? I suppose its a power monitoring issue but I'm not sure what my next steps should be. Has OP found any fixes that work?

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
OPs GPU had a power controller issue where it was throttling down to try to reign in the power usage for that board. His GPU was toast.

ClawsandAwws

Hmm, so that's probably unfortunately my fate as well? The whole thing isn't going to work anymore? I am pretty new to PC gaming so will this require a new motherboard, graphics card, or both? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1719299360961.png
    1719299360961.png
    38 KB · Views: 17
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Hmm, so that's probably unfortunately my fate as well? The whole thing isn't going to work anymore? I am pretty new to PC gaming so will this require a new motherboard, graphics card, or both? Thanks in advance
Pretty much.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
PerfCap Reason: Pwr, while the GPU is only running at 240MHz, means that there is a physical fault in either its power monitoring or delivery circuitry. There is no way to overcome this by software, you need to send the laptop in for repair. Likely your GPU is integrated on the laptop motherboard (another reason to NOT buy a laptop) so this is probably going to be quite an expensive repair.

ClawsandAwws

Thank you for the responses. Well I guess it was a fun year and a half foray into PC gaming. It'll probably just be cheaper to get a new console.