• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Odd AMD driver issue

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm only posting this in case it helps someone else, but yesterday, I was doing some gaming when I had to leave and pick up my son from school. I turned my monitor off but left the PC running, having exited the game.
When I arrived back I found that my main screen was not receiving a signal from the video card. My second screen was though and it was acting as my secondary screen.

So I use a 55" LG OLED as my main screen and a 16" touchscreen as my second monitor. Moving forward, I will call them screens #1 and #2.

I'm running HDMI cables from 7900xtx to both screens. I tried rebooting first and my screen #1 was not detecting any signals but screen #2 was still showing the wallpaper and layout as if screen #1 was on. That made me think that the video card was still outputting both signals. If I unplugged screen #1 from the back of the VGA then screen #2 would become the main screen. Plug screen #1 back in and screen #2 would become the second monitor again but my TV was not receiving a signal.

Next, I swapped out the HDMI cable which immediately solved my issue. Screen #1 was now receiving the signal and I figured my HDMI cable must have gone bad.

Everything was fine until later when I had to pick up my daughter. This time, I left both screens turned on. When I got back it looked like my monitors were asleep. I wiggled my mouse and only screen #2 woke up. There was no way a second HDMI cable went bad. Still, I swapped cables again and it didn't work. Screen #1 was on but wasn't receiving a signal. I tested the PS5, and Switch through the TV and they both displayed fine. At this point, I wasn't sure if maybe one of the ports on the video card died, but after testing them with screen #2, they all worked. Yet screen #1 would not work with any ports, even when trying the display ports.

At this point, I decided to update the video card drivers. AMD had just released a new set. I installed them but unfortunately, that did not solve the problem.
Then I went into safe mode and used DDU to wipe the AMD drivers. After rebooting, both screens came alive. I then made sure Windows was fully updated and did a fresh install of the AMD drivers.

So I think this is a driver issue. I think it may be related to when my monitor goes to sleep (which I have disabled now). But cleaning the drivers from Windows, and then reinstalling solved the issue. I have never seen this problem before.
It was odd that the video card would output to my smaller 1080p screen but not my larger 4k screen. So very strange.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 7800x3D
Motherboard x670e Asus Crosshair Hero
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 2x32 Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
If you're trying to clean out AMD drivers, you gotta use their driver cleanup along with DDU in safemode. Using DDU alone isn't enough.

Typically I'll DDU, ADU, and offline install new drivers and that gets everything going.

Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
@Toothless Im good for now but I will keep that in mind if it happens again. I'm just glad its working. :)

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I'm only posting this in case it helps someone else, but yesterday, I was doing some gaming when I had to leave and pick up my son from school. I turned my monitor off but left the PC running, having exited the game.
When I arrived back I found that my main screen was not receiving a signal from the video card. My second screen was though and it was acting as my secondary screen.

So I use a 55" LG OLED as my main screen and a 16" touchscreen as my second monitor. Moving forward, I will call them screens #1 and #2.

I'm running HDMI cables from 7900xtx to both screens. I tried rebooting first and my screen #1 was not detecting any signals but screen #2 was still showing the wallpaper and layout as if screen #1 was on. That made me think that the video card was still outputting both signals. If I unplugged screen #1 from the back of the VGA then screen #2 would become the main screen. Plug screen #1 back in and screen #2 would become the second monitor again but my TV was not receiving a signal.

Next, I swapped out the HDMI cable which immediately solved my issue. Screen #1 was now receiving the signal and I figured my HDMI cable must have gone bad.

Everything was fine until later when I had to pick up my daughter. This time, I left both screens turned on. When I got back it looked like my monitors were asleep. I wiggled my mouse and only screen #2 woke up. There was no way a second HDMI cable went bad. Still, I swapped cables again and it didn't work. Screen #1 was on but wasn't receiving a signal. I tested the PS5, and Switch through the TV and they both displayed fine. At this point, I wasn't sure if maybe one of the ports on the video card died, but after testing them with screen #2, they all worked. Yet screen #1 would not work with any ports, even when trying the display ports.

At this point, I decided to update the video card drivers. AMD had just released a new set. I installed them but unfortunately, that did not solve the problem.
Then I went into safe mode and used DDU to wipe the AMD drivers. After rebooting, both screens came alive. I then made sure Windows was fully updated and did a fresh install of the AMD drivers.

So I think this is a driver issue. I think it may be related to when my monitor goes to sleep (which I have disabled now). But cleaning the drivers from Windows, and then reinstalling solved the issue. I have never seen this problem before.
It was odd that the video card would output to my smaller 1080p screen but not my larger 4k screen. So very strange.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Have you tried unplugging the power and reseating it again? I have set my monitors to sleep at ten minutes and the computer at 30 minutes. If I leave it like that say overnight my main monitor (Samsung U32J590U over displayport and a 6950xt) will be completely non-responsive until I unplug the power cord. I've assumed it has something to do with displayport (or a new standard), because it didn't happen when I was using HDMI only (Geforce 3060ti).

System Name 1. Glasshouse 2. Odin OneEye
Processor 1. Ryzen 9 5900X (manual PBO) 2. Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard 1. MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi 2. Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 670E
Cooling 1. Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black 2. Custom Loop 3x360mm (60mm) rads & T30 fans/Aquacomputer NEXT w/b
Memory 1. G Skill Neo 16GBx4 (3600MHz 16/16/16/36) 2. Kingston Fury 16GBx2 DDR5 CL36
Video Card(s) 1. Asus Strix Vega 64 2. Powercolor Liquid Devil 7900XTX
Storage 1. Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) & Sabrent Rocket 4 (2TB) 2. Kingston 3000 (1TB) and Hynix p41 (2TB)
Display(s) 1. Samsung U28E590 10bit 4K@60Hz 2. LG C2 42 inch 10bit 4K@120Hz
Case 1. Corsair Crystal 570X White 2. Cooler Master HAF 700 EVO
Audio Device(s) 1. Creative Speakers 2. Built in LG monitor speakers
Power Supply 1. Corsair RM850x 2. Superflower Titanium 1600W
Mouse 1. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (grey) 2. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (black)
Keyboard Leopold High End Mechanical
Software Windows 11
I had weird issues with my LG monitor too. Like you I have a 7900xtx and did the usual troubleshooting. The video output worked on a DP and HDMI connection to another monitor so I focussed on the LG. The LG has 4 HDMI ports and I found I only had output on one of them. People suggested that the ports not working were shorted out but I'm wondering if this is an LG thing.

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
Have you tried unplugging the power and reseating it again? I have set my monitors to sleep at ten minutes and the computer at 30 minutes. If I leave it like that say overnight my main monitor (Samsung U32J590U over displayport and a 6950xt) will be completely non-responsive until I unplug the power cord. I've assumed it has something to do with displayport (or a new standard), because it didn't happen when I was using HDMI only (Geforce 3060ti).
No, I didn't try that but when I placed the HDMI cable into another device, the monitor detected the signal and came to life. Placing that same HDMI cable back into the video card and no signal was detected.

I had weird issues with my LG monitor too. Like you I have a 7900xtx and did the usual troubleshooting. The video output worked on a DP and HDMI connection to another monitor so I focussed on the LG. The LG has 4 HDMI ports and I found I only had output on one of them. People suggested that the ports not working were shorted out but I'm wondering if this is an LG thing.

I was worried that it could be my LG as well and considering the price of this thing, I would have been crushed, but I tested all of the HDMI ports and they all work with other devices like my ROG ALLY, PS5 and Nintendo Switch. So I do believe it is the video card. More precise the drivers.