• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Optimizing i7-7700HQ, still some yellow warnings

Mcvk

Hi there,

I've been reading a lot about undervolting and optimizing my CPU. It was alwasy throttling during high workloads. By replacing the coolerpaste and undervolting I don't get any Prochot throttling anymore. (CPU temp decreased by over 20C, more than 10 by replacing the cooler paste) However there are still some warnings left. I have a ACER Aspire 7 A7-717-G with 32GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, GTX1050 and 970 EVO Plus SSD. (upgraded a few parts over the years) Are there any other optimizations necessary?

Attachments

• TS1.PNG
    TS1.PNG
    42.2 KB · Views: 155
  • TS2.PNG
    TS2.PNG
    61 KB · Views: 158
  • TS3.PNG
    TS3.PNG
    19.1 KB · Views: 128
  • TS4.PNG
    TS4.PNG
    20.7 KB · Views: 148

Mcvk

After running Passmark Performancetest, no limits and max 87C

Attachments

• TS5.PNG
    TS5.PNG
    45.8 KB · Views: 81
Only the apparent idle state of the CPU leaves some doubt, but you don't have the "mV Boost" function available.

You could uncheck the "Speed Shift EPP" feature on the home screen, as it is controlled by the BIOS anyway.

Last edited:

Mcvk

So my settings overall are allright? The yellow warnings are there after turning on the laptop.

I wouldn't worry about that as the boot process is a challenge for computers. More interesting is the state of apparent idleness, in which many computers remain statistically the longest.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
no limits
That is what is important.

Some Limit Reasons boxes that are yellow after first booting up are not important. This throttling within the CPU seems to get triggered before the BIOS has had a chance to setup the power limits correctly. If there are no red throttling boxes under the CORE column when testing and your CPU is running at its full rated speed when loaded then everything is good.

I would check the MMIO Lock box, clear the Disable Controls box and set PL1 and PL2 both to 56.

In the FIVR window set IccMax for both the core and the cache to the max, 255.75.

A 7700HQ should be able to use the 34.00 multiplier when fully loaded running Cinebench as long as it is not thermal or power limit throttling. Watch for that or look in the log file to see how well your computer maintains full speed.

Mcvk

It gets a little bit hotter now (90c) when increasing IccMax and PL1 like you said, but still no limits and it reaches 45W when testing and 34 multiplier. What about the clamp setting, should I check this or not? Any other optimizations to make?

@unclewebb what about the speed shift setting as bogus5 says?

Thank you both!

unclewebb

It gets a little bit hotter now
That is a good thing. A hotter CPU is usually a good indication of increased performance.

For your CPU, Clamp checked or not checked does not matter. Most people leave the top Clamp box checked in the Power Limit Controls section and they leave the bottom Clamp box not checked.

Speed Shift EPP can be controlled by Windows if you let it. Try clearing the Speed Shift EPP box in ThrottleStop. Switch back and forth between the Windows High Performance power plan and the Windows Balanced power plan. You should see the EPP value change in the FIVR monitoring table. On most computers, the Balanced power plan usually sets EPP to 84. If Windows can handle this for you then you do not need to check the Speed Shift EPP box on the main screen of ThrottleStop.

zmlookingfor

That is what is important.

Some Limit Reasons boxes that are yellow after first booting up are not important. This throttling within the CPU seems to get triggered before the BIOS has had a chance to setup the power limits correctly. If there are no red throttling boxes under the CORE column when testing and your CPU is running at its full rated speed when loaded then everything is good.

I would check the MMIO Lock box, clear the Disable Controls box and set PL1 and PL2 both to 56.

In the FIVR window set IccMax for both the core and the cache to the max, 255.75.

A 7700HQ should be able to use the 34.00 multiplier when fully loaded running Cinebench as long as it is not thermal or power limit throttling. Watch for that or look in the log file to see how well your computer maintains full speed.
also can i get an advice for myself too

Attachments

• 4444444444444.PNG
    4444444444444.PNG
    914.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 4141.PNG
    4141.PNG
    83 KB · Views: 63

unclewebb

The 7700HQ has a 45W TDP power rating and your computer is overheating at only 32W. You need better cooling. Try cleaning out the heatsinks and replace the thermal paste with Honeywell PTM 7950.

zmlookingfor

The 7700HQ has a 45W TDP power rating and your computer is overheating at only 32W. You need better cooling. Try cleaning out the heatsinks and replace the thermal paste with Honeywell PTM 7950.
So just tried to order but there is bunch of chinese websites and different prices so couldn't figure it out which one is real, where can i buy real one

zmlookingfor

I have no idea. Fake products can be anywhere. Try Amazon.
sorry for reup. after a few months, i was able to use 45w on 89C with new thermal paste. I also changed my multipler 34. Should I change my settings as thread owners or mine is allright? how can i choose which one is better for me