• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Optimizing performance of the Lenovo i7-14700 desktop

stereodream

Hello! I have a new Lenovo i7-14700 desktop with stock CPU cooling system that I'm trying to improve the performance of without upgrading the cooler first and I think ThrottleStop might be the right tool for it. I noticed that out of the box (with the old and updated to the latest version BIOS), some CPU cores start to thermal throttle at low temperatures while doing mundane tasks like browsing. Surprisingly, there's not a lot of throttling while doing benchmarks like Geekbench and Cinebench r23 but the overall score remains very low (for this type of CPU). Also, while Cinebench was running, I noticed in ThrottleStop that MMIO PL1 setting automatically dropped to "55" from the default "65", for example. That's with everything set to the Intel defaults in the BIOS with Lenovo's Balanced mode Intelligent cooling and Lenovo's default Windows Power plan. Granted, this might be due to insufficient CPU cooling, but I'd still love to try to improve it with software if possible. Should I start by changing the Power plan and getting rid of whatever Lenovo's software running in the background first (there's at least one)? I'm planning to install a clean version of Windows once I solve this to make sure Lenovo is not in the way. What are some basic or advanced tweaks I can try in ThrottleStop to see if I can improve the performance/thermals in every day and demanding tasks (no gaming)? Sorry, I'm new to the ThrottleStop and would love to learn more!

Thank you!

Attachments

• cb23_new_bios.png
    cb23_new_bios.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • cb23_old_bios.png
    cb23_old_bios.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • cpu.png
    cpu.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 14
  • geekbench_old_bios.png
    geekbench_old_bios.png
    178.8 KB · Views: 13
  • throttlestop_old_bios_TPL.png
    throttlestop_old_bios_TPL.png
    155.1 KB · Views: 13
  • throttlestop_old_bios_FIVR.png
    throttlestop_old_bios_FIVR.png
    240 KB · Views: 13

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Check the MMIO Lock box. That disables the MMIO power limit that is holding you back.

In the Options window check the PROCHOT Offset box and check the Lock PROCHOT Offset box. That prevents thermal throttling at low temperatures which is a common Lenovo problem. Set the Offset to 3 or 5 before locking it.