• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC - I2C interface?

• Thread starter Deleted member 24505
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24505

I have this Class D dac/amp board which uses a Ti TAS5756M chip. It seems to use a i2c interface and i was wondering if there is any way to interface with it from my PC to use as a desk amp.
20220415_101537.jpg

So....explain this one. What you are showing is a hat for a PI. A PI is about $35, with this hat being $30.

You want to connect your desktop directly to the amp...which has a bunch of pins as pass-throughs to a PI. You see an I2C bus...I'm not sure where. The documentation lists none: https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/e/6/5/a/9/20201209_IQaudIO_v32.pdf

So...go buy a PI. Set it up with network connection. It'll then have no issues acting as a player and amp. If your goal is to take this and make it into a pre-amp or similar, there are other projects which still require a PI...but you may save some money on a PI Zero or the like: https://other2funstuff.blogspot.com/2016/11/rpi-with-supstronics-x400-hat.html?m=1

Does this make sense? I think what you really want to do is computer hard wired to amp...but there aren't exactly free GPIO pins in the modern computer. As such, step one is probably to decide on the right PI and goal to make that hat worthwhile.

D

Deleted member 24505

I did find a usb-i2c adapter, which i might give a try. Tbh i'm probably better off using some other type of class D amp board.

Just sold the Pi 4b to cex but they didn't want this so wondered if i could still use it. It's a nice 2x35w cladd D board, with a DAC too.

Page 21 in the PDF shows the i/o the hat uses.

I did find a usb-i2c adapter, which i might give a try. Tbh i'm probably better off using some other type of class D amp board.

Just sold the Pi 4b to cex but they didn't want this so wondered if i could still use it. It's a nice 2x35w cladd D board, with a DAC too.

Page 21 in the PDF shows the i/o the hat uses.

So...6 pins in use from the GPIO side. 2 shared I2C and 4 I2S. This means the PI communicates over the I2C with the DAC, and then sends the actual audio data independently over the I2S pins.

So...are you going to get the USB-I2C connection up, and write the driver. Once that's good, you'll need the actual I2S data...which is another chip. The entire thing is then making all of this perform.
Alternatively, you just buy the $20 PI zero...and it works.

It's your time and money. From where I sit it can be done...but it isn't worth doing when there's better solutions that will cost you less time and frustration. That solution would be to get the cheapest PI you can, and run it as a Pre-amp or low power speaker solution.

D

Deleted member 24505

So...6 pins in use from the GPIO side. 2 shared I2C and 4 I2S. This means the PI communicates over the I2C with the DAC, and then sends the actual audio data independently over the I2S pins.

So...are you going to get the USB-I2C connection up, and write the driver. Once that's good, you'll need the actual I2S data...which is another chip. The entire thing is then making all of this perform.
Alternatively, you just buy the $20 PI zero...and it works.

It's your time and money. From where I sit it can be done...but it isn't worth doing when there's better solutions that will cost you less time and frustration. That solution would be to get the cheapest PI you can, and run it as a Pre-amp or low power speaker solution.

I'll look on ALi for a Class D with ana/digi input i think, and stick this on ebay, see if anyone wants it. It's a nic Pi hat, shame to waste it.

Found this, gonna order one to use instead.
https://shop.justboom.co/collections/standalone-audio-boards/products/justboom-amp

Last edited by a moderator: