• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pc not turning on fans spin but no display

Relix

hello i have a gtx 1050ti i5 4570 with elite desk G1 800 motherboard for some reason once i turned my pc off and tried to turn it on it showed no display i had this problem before aswell i had to turn the pc on and off for it to show display but now that doesn’t work anymore can ssd be the cause of this becuase i know the graphics card is fine i tested it into my friends pc and worked perfectly.

the thing about the ssd (i didn’t test on other pc)
is that i bought with a optimized windows i wanna know if thats the cause of it

System Name The Dark side of the room
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 Unify
Cooling Custom loop watercooling (Bykski CPU-XPR-POM-M-V2, Alphacool Eisblock GPX, Freezemod PU-PWM5B18W)
Memory GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3600 CL16 (4 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK 319 Radeon RX 6700 XT
Storage 1 x Kingston KC3000 1024GB + 2 x Kingston NV2 2TB
Display(s) LG 34WP65C Ultrawide 3440x1440 @ 160Hz freesync premium
Case Thermaltake Core P90 TG
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek® ALC1220 with Logitech Z906
Power Supply MSI MAG A850GF 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Trust Asta GTX 865
Software Windows 11 pro
Benchmark Scores It's a form of exhibitionism...;-), but fun Software programs just have to run nicely....
Start with the basics:

If you also do not see anything during POST, check monitor and cable.
If your SSD is the cullprit you should see a notification like C: drive/MBR not found or corrupted.
This MB has only one PCIe x16 v 3.0 slot. Is the graphics card in the right slot and seated properly?

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03832938

Relix

Start with the basics:

If you also do not see anything during POST, check monitor and cable.
If your SSD is the cullprit you should see a notification like C: drive/MBR not found or corrupted.
This MB has only one PCIe x16 v 3.0 slot. Is the graphics card in the right slot and seated properly?

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03832938
yes its seated properly also one thing i forgot to mention is that a month ago i saw a difference that the fans started making noise and were spinning faster so what i did was check the cpu and placed the cpu on other motherboard and i found out that its cpu’s fault making the noise and fan spin faster could it be that the cpu was dying then it died?

System Name The Dark side of the room
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 Unify
Cooling Custom loop watercooling (Bykski CPU-XPR-POM-M-V2, Alphacool Eisblock GPX, Freezemod PU-PWM5B18W)
Memory GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3600 CL16 (4 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK 319 Radeon RX 6700 XT
Storage 1 x Kingston KC3000 1024GB + 2 x Kingston NV2 2TB
Display(s) LG 34WP65C Ultrawide 3440x1440 @ 160Hz freesync premium
Case Thermaltake Core P90 TG
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek® ALC1220 with Logitech Z906
Power Supply MSI MAG A850GF 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Trust Asta GTX 865
Software Windows 11 pro
Benchmark Scores It's a form of exhibitionism...;-), but fun Software programs just have to run nicely....
yes its seated properly also one thing i forgot to mention is that a month ago i saw a difference that the fans started making noise and were spinning faster so what i did was check the cpu and placed the cpu on other motherboard and i found out that its cpu’s fault making the noise and fan spin faster could it be that the cpu was dying then it died?
Fans (if connected to the main board) are controlled by the BIOS. If the fans are speeding up, most likely it is triggered by heating up from the CPU. This can have multiple causes but most of the times it has something to do with your cooling solution.

If the CPU is broken, during the POST, there should be a error message, code or at least some beeps (not sure with your HP OEM board).

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Actually, when troubleshooting potential hardware problems, the basics start at the wall. Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are you supplying good power? The first two are obvious. The third? Since EVERYTHING inside the computer case depends on good, clean stable power, you need to swap in a known good power supply and see what happens. Note a PC PSU is required to output 3 primary voltages; +3.3VDC, +5VDC and +12VDC.

Also, please fill out your TPU System Specs so we know what hardware we are dealing with.

Relix

Actually, when troubleshooting potential hardware problems, the basics start at the wall. Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are you supplying good power? The first two are obvious. The third? Since EVERYTHING inside the computer case depends on good, clean stable power, you need to swap in a known good power supply and see what happens. Note a PC PSU is required to output 3 primary voltages; +3.3VDC, +5VDC and +12VDC.

Also, please fill out your TPU System Specs so we know what hardware we are dealing with.
Fans (if connected to the main board) are controlled by the BIOS. If the fans are speeding up, most likely it is triggered by heating up from the CPU. This can have multiple causes but most of the times it has something to do with your cooling solution.

If the CPU is broken, during the POST, there should be a error message, code or at least some beeps (not sure with your HP OEM board).
should i try to repaste the cpu on my pc again becuase in the otherboard i know that motherboard i tried is dead motherboard but in mine ididnt try to repaste

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The ONLY time it is necessary to repaste is (1) if not done properly the first time and (2), if the cured bond between the heatsink and device has been broken.

It is a fallacy that repasting is necessary after so much time has passed. TIM (thermal interface material) will easily last 5, 10, 15 years or even longer AS LONG AS that cured bond is not broken. Even if it dries out, the solids that remain behind are still occupying the microscopic pits and valleys (that's their job) to keep insulating air out.

"IF" the processor needs the extra 4 - 5 degrees repasting might provide to prevent thermal protection measures from kicking in, there are other, more critical cooling issues that need to be addressed first - like case cooling.

Note not one CPU, cooler, TIM, motherboard, or computer maker suggests or even recommends TIM be replaced when X amount of time has passed. Not one!

Note you risk damage from ESD or accidental abuse every time you handle the CPU.

At this point there is nothing to suggest this is a heat issue.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
hello i have a gtx 1050ti i5 4570 with elite desk G1 800 motherboard for some reason once i turned my pc off and tried to turn it on it showed no display i had this problem before aswell i had to turn the pc on and off for it to show display but now that doesn’t work anymore can ssd be the cause of this becuase i know the graphics card is fine i tested it into my friends pc and worked perfectly.

the thing about the ssd (i didn’t test on other pc)
is that i bought with a optimized windows i wanna know if thats the cause of it

Replace the CR2032 coin battery on your motherboard. The HP Elitedesk G1 800 is close to a decade old!

Then slowly and rationally assess any remaining issues one by one.

I personally would start by making sure the BIOS is updated to the latest version. Look at the release notes from your current version all the way to the newest and make sure to download anything that says you need to update to this before installing later versions.

Relix

Replace the CR2032 coin battery on your motherboard. The HP Elitedesk G1 800 is close to a decade old!

Then slowly and rationally assess any remaining issues one by one.

I personally would start by making sure the BIOS is updated to the latest version. Look at the release notes from your current version all the way to the newest and make sure to download anything that says you need to update to this before installing later versions.

how do i update it when it doesnt even show display ?

also btw i tried different cpu i added i7 4790 still the same i will try to find another coin battery to see if thats the problem then if its not i will check the power supply since it makes a lot of noice

Processor Intel i5 8400
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Software W11 Pro
how do i update it when it doesnt even show display ?

also btw i tried different cpu i added i7 4790 still the same i will try to find another coin battery to see if thats the problem then if its not i will check the power supply since it makes a lot of noice

Suddenly lack display at turn on is very commonly nothing more than that coin battery. Good chance this works.

PSU would be a rational next step if is suspect. Maybe even the first step.

BIOS was directly related to SSD statements. Your PC might've been trying to make it work and hit a terminal error. This might be helpful if issues exist here and will improve general system performance.

Relix

Suddenly lack display at turn on is very commonly nothing more than that coin battery. Good chance this works.

PSU would be a rational next step if is suspect. Maybe even the first step.

BIOS was directly related to SSD statements. Your PC might've been trying to make it work and hit a terminal error. This might be helpful if issues exist here and will improve general system performance.
so it can be the ssd problems then if its not showing display becuase before i bought the ssd it had a optimized windows wich sometimes before showing display it set me to tap on the f1 and enter (to start pc with that windows)

i should check changing the coin battery and check the ssd becuase i think that maybe ssd is having problems ill keep updated if something happened

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel i5 8400
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Software W11 Pro
Unless the SSD corrupted the BIOS it is farther down the order of likely issues.

Unless you have changed that coin battery - ever - it remains the most likely cause. Followed by psu.

Relix

Unless the SSD corrupted the BIOS it is farther down the order of likely issues.

Unless you have changed that coin battery - ever - it remains the most likely cause. Followed by psu.
i changed the coin battery still same problem so either psu or ssd done something with the bios

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
i changed the coin battery still same problem so either psu or ssd done something with the bios

Do you have a different video card to try? to rule that out as the problem. Do you have a speaker you can connect to the Front Panel connectors? it will beep to give some indication of the problem.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Software W11 Pro

I forget that basic procedures to me may not be fully known by others.

What you need to do when changing that coin battery is turn off and unplug the computer. Remove battery and wait 30 seconds.
Insert new battery. Then press and hold the CMOS button for 5 seconds.

When you plug in and turn on the computer expect a delay of over a minute may occur.

1702834293922.png

Relix

I forget that basic procedures to me may not be fully known by others.

What you need to do when changing that coin battery is turn off and unplug the computer. Remove battery and wait 30 seconds.
Insert new battery. Then press and hold the CMOS button for 5 seconds.

When you plug in and turn on the computer expect a delay of over a minute may occur.

View attachment 325754
i tried this didn’t work i waited for the pc like 5 minutes

Processor Intel i5 8400
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Software W11 Pro
i tried this didn’t work i waited for the pc like 5 minutes

Ok, we really needed to make sure it wasn't something that simple which has the exact symptoms you've described.

i tried different cpu i added i7 4790 still the same... if its not i will check the power supply since it makes a lot of noice
so it can be the ssd problems then if its not showing display becuase before i bought the ssd it had a optimized windows wich sometimes before showing display it set me to tap on the f1 and enter (to start pc with that windows)

Main goal was to get display and then sort out any issues related to above. A lot of issues! At this point your motherboard, PSU, SSD, as well as the screen and cable connecting to are all suspect.

Try this: Remove graphics card/internet cable/Every USB or other peripheral/PCIe card that isn't related to keyboard and mouse. Completely remove your SSD and the SATA cable connection to mobo.

If you have a known good second display or another display cable accessible connect them to your PC. If possible use VGA or DVI. Adding to the long list of issues here is the chance an inferior DP cable created this issue.

Now turn the machine on paying attention to any changes. If it boots to BIOS we're at least getting somewhere.

Relix

Ok, we really needed to make sure it wasn't something that simple which has the exact symptoms you've described.

Main goal was to get display and then sort out any issues related to above. A lot of issues! At this point your motherboard, PSU, SSD, as well as the screen and cable connecting to are all suspect.

Try this: Remove graphics card/internet cable/Every USB or other peripheral/PCIe card that isn't related to keyboard and mouse. Completely remove your SSD and the SATA cable connection to mobo.

If you have a known good second display or another display cable accessible connect them to your PC. If possible use VGA or DVI. Adding to the long list of issues here is the chance an inferior DP cable created this issue.

Now turn the machine on paying attention to any changes. If it boots to BIOS we're at least getting somewhere.
i tried all of these and still not working i assume its the psu becuase a month ago i found it strange that it started making to much noise and then weeks later once i got the new ssd with a optimized windows the pc kinda started to sometimes not showing display sometimes yes (so basically when it didn’t show display i had to turn off then turn on again)
also when the pc crashed and restarted sometimes it did not show display at all so i had to turn off again and turn on to hopefully turn on (one time i did this straight 3 hours for the pc to show display lol) so yeah its either psu died or the ssd is doing problems with hardware

Processor Intel i5 8400
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Software W11 Pro
PSU is a good next step. Luckily a gazillion of them were made for these business PC since they are proprietary.

Best of luck getting one on the cheap and fingers crossed it fixes this.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
should i try to repaste the cpu on my pc again becuase in the otherboard i know that motherboard i tried is dead motherboard but in mine ididnt try to repaste
everytime you take the cooler off, you need to reapply paste.

the coin battery doesnt cause lack of post. coin battery causes issues with date not being retained. the bios is not on volatile memory so the coin battery dying wont remove the bios.

i did a quick glance through your replies.

What powersupply do you have? are you still using the stock one? did it come with the graphics card already? if not then i doubt the powersupply can handle the load.

SSD dying wont cause a POST issue.

sounds silly but make sure that all the cables to the monitor are correctly secured and the display cable is secure on the back of your motherboard as well :p make sure monitor is powered on :p

but yeah i think its your PSU. OEM pre built systems come with the cheapest PSU which are enough to barely last the warranty period.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Software W11 Pro
but yeah i think its your PSU. OEM pre built systems come with the cheapest PSU which are enough to barely last the warranty period.

This is THE top tier business PC meant to be run 8-24 hours a day for the entire on lease period of up to 5 years. Then blown out and put back into service for many more years. One of the most trouble free computers you could hope to own.

Caveat being they are not an enthusiast platform. Set in place and never touch it again. ESD or who knows, my fear was/is a dead mobo (or gpu) based on fan behavior and info on processor(s). With a reasonable amount of personal experience this model I'm aware it's downfalls.

If you are seeing something I'm not here, by all means. :)

Last edited:

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
VR HMD ;_;
This is THE top tier business PC meant to be run 8-24 hours a day for the entire on lease period of up to 5 years. Then blown out and put back into service for many more years. One of the most trouble free computers you could hope to own.

Caveat being they are not an enthusiast platform. Set in place and never touch it again. ESD or who knows, my fear was/is a dead mobo (or gpu) based on fan behavior and info on processor(s). With a reasonable amount of personal experience this model I'm aware it's downfalls.

If you are seeing something I'm not here, by all means. :)

i had an acer which had a delta powersupply 250w. its still alive after what like 20years. the problem is if you overload the designed specs, it would still be a bad idea. I overloaded it with a GPU and would get weird issues. Mind you it didnt fail catastrophically, but issues were there nonetheless.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Software W11 Pro
i had an acer which had a delta powersupply 250w. its still alive after what like 20years. the problem is if you overload the designed specs, it would still be a bad idea. I overloaded it with a GPU and would get weird issues. Mind you it didnt fail catastrophically, but issues were there nonetheless.

Possible, no 6+8/8 pin available off the psu. More possible if they have SFF version of this model. Both SFF/TWR officially can run a gpu off board power (75w).

5 days back and forth to install coin battery and clear CMOS slowed down the proceedings. Maybe they update after a psu shows up?

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
VR HMD ;_;
Possible, no 6+8/8 pin available off the psu. More possible if they have SFF version of this model. Both SFF/TWR officially can run a gpu off board power (75w).

5 days back and forth to install coin battery and clear CMOS slowed down the proceedings. Maybe they update after a psu shows up?
im more worried about them putting back the heatsink on the gpu properly. :D and not killing the GPU.