• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

pcie link state power management.

System Name BarnacleMan
Processor 14700KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite Ax DDR5
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 + P12 Max Fans
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury Beast
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 4090 24GB
Storage 4TB sn850x, 2TB sn850x, 2TB Netac Nv7000 + 2TB p5 plus, 4TB MX500 * 2 = 18TB. Plus dvd burner.
Display(s) Dell 23.5" 1440P IPS panel
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply Gigabyte 850w
So my p5 plus a while ago, was showing very poor read speeds. like 1/3 of what it should be. I took a lucky a guess and turned this setting off, problem solved.

But I run a pretty tight ship here. 4090, 14700kf, 6 ssds, a dvd drive, 240mm aio, 4 more fans (5 if you count the vrm fan lol) and a million other little things like the controller, webcam, charging my vape, all on a 850w unit. So I want to be saving power wherever I can. Also just because, its cheaper....

So how much power does this setting really save? If you consider with it off, its affecting 4 m.2 ssds (3 are 4x4, one is 3x1, and the 4090 4x16). Like, is it even worth bothering with in the first place?

Anwyay, seems like the p5 is not able to properly wake itself up. Could anybody think of a different way to solve this problem? Possibly a way to apply something like this setting to only the p5?

Worth mentioning this is the second time I've had transfer troubles with that ssd. The first time I was able to resolve it by cleaning the connectors with iso, but that didn't work the second time. Smart data doesn't seem to suggest anything bad..... but idk.

I want to be saving power wherever I can. Also just because, its cheaper....
Do you leave your computer unattended for long periods of time and allow it power down in Sleep mode? If so, you should probably enable PCIe Link State Power Management.

https://www.technewstoday.com/link-state-power-management/
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/link-state-power-management-windows
https://windowsreport.com/link-state-power-management/

You have three setting options:
1). Off
2). Moderate Power Savings
3). Maximum Power Savings

As for how much power you'll save, get a cheap power meter (approx $15), enter the cost of your electricity per kWhr, zero the timer in the meter and start the computer with the first setting and leave the it running unattended for an hour. Check the meter and see how many UAH you've used. Zero the timer and try the next setting for an hour. Repeat for third setting and one hour. Compare the three costs and make up your mind.

Personally speaking, I leave all Windows power saving options disabled. I set Power Options to Maximum Performance. I change 'Turn off hard disk after' to 0, to prevent Windows powering down my drives after 20 minutes. I set 'USB selective suspend' to off, 'Turn off display after' to Never. I also disable 'Automatic restarts after Windows Updates when user logged on' in Local Group Poklicy settings, to prevent automatic restarts in the middle of the night, during lengthy video rendering sessions. Very annoying when you're part way through a 20 hour render and the PC reboots without my knowledge..

I accept higher electricity bills for greater stability when leaving the computer to get on with a task. Windows doesn't always "wake up" hardware correctly after it returns from Sleep. I've had problems with USB devices disappearing after Windows puts them to Sleep.

A power meter will tell you how much power your computer is using when idle, how much it uses when running flat out and how much when Sleeping. You cannot expect an RTX 4090 and a 14700KF to be particularly power thrifty. If you'd really wanted to save power, you'd have bought a 14700K instead of the KF and ditched the RTX 4090.

If your Crucial P5 Plus runs slowly with power savings on, swith them off.

System Name BarnacleMan
Processor 14700KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite Ax DDR5
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 + P12 Max Fans
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury Beast
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 4090 24GB
Storage 4TB sn850x, 2TB sn850x, 2TB Netac Nv7000 + 2TB p5 plus, 4TB MX500 * 2 = 18TB. Plus dvd burner.
Display(s) Dell 23.5" 1440P IPS panel
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply Gigabyte 850w
A power meter will tell you how much power your computer is using when idle, how much it uses when running flat out and how much when Sleeping. You cannot expect an RTX 4090 and a 14700KF to be particularly power thrifty. If you'd really wanted to save power, you'd have bought a 14700K instead of the KF and ditched the RTX 4090.
And just run on on integrated graphics? Well having a computer that does what I want is a higher priority than power savings, but you know, doesn't mean that isn't a factor I take into consideration as well. My 4090 is kept on a tight leash. with an undervolt and downclock I can usually get the performance I want within 200w. It can actually be pretty efficient. The only exception I can think of was Alan Wake 2.

And alright I suppose I will just leave link state power management off if you don't know of an alternative solution.

Thanks.

Last edited: