• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PNY 3080 vBios

WolvewnScout

I tried using Kefi's version of nvflash to change the vbios on my PNY 3080 in order to up the power limit. I tried a strix bios, which didn't work at all. Then I tried an MSI bios, which flashed, but my card wouldn't display an image. After switching to integrated graphics, I tried updating the nvidia driver, which seemed to work, until I rebooted, and it wouldn't display again. I managed to restore my card to its original bios. Should I keep trying different bios versions until I find one that works, or should I wait for Kefi to release their version of nvflash with a GUI and modding capability? Or is there already a way to mod the stock PNY vbios? I looked for one, but could only find much older software that wouldn't work.

Attachments

• GPU-Z Capture.PNG
    GPU-Z Capture.PNG
    37 KB · Views: 30
I tried using Kefi's version of nvflash to change the vbios on my PNY 3080 in order to up the power limit. I tried a strix bios, which didn't work at all. Then I tried an MSI bios, which flashed, but my card wouldn't display an image. After switching to integrated graphics, I tried updating the nvidia driver, which seemed to work, until I rebooted, and it wouldn't display again. I managed to restore my card to its original bios. Should I keep trying different bios versions until I find one that works, or should I wait for Kefi to release their version of nvflash with a GUI and modding capability? Or is there already a way to mod the stock PNY vbios? I looked for one, but could only find much older software that wouldn't work.
hi there, im not sure what PNY 3080 you have, the range i saw for power limits were from 320-350 watts, when it comes to crossflashing you need to make sure for higher powerlimits it can be risky in a few ways, 1 the vrm is not made for a strix bios that can support up to 450 watts can lead to overheating vrm, 2 thing that will be risky is that the pny 3080 cards has 2 8 pin power connectors, in spec 1 8 pin can give 150 watts, with that said most 8 pin power connectors can provide more then that when i was younger i baught a 3080 and did the same thing to get a 450 watt power limit, and in my case the 3080 would crash at 300 somthing watts, happend around 1 year after, might be somthing else but worth taking up, my tip is to stay on the stock bios

if you wanna continue you will need the nvflashk for the crossflashing, but i dont think the gui version will come out, in the github it said "september" but it said that at like agust last year so you will need the non gui version, 2 i know when i did crossflashing there were 2 typs of pcbs on the 3000 series, refrence and another one, if you have a refrence design the match it with another vbios with a refrence design,
1 thing that happend to me with my vbios flashing was that my old 3080 hade extra display ports, so when i downloaded another vbios that only had lets say 2 insted of 4, the 2 extra ports stopped working in my case

thats atleast my experince and tips from when i did this around 4 years ago and a disclamer if somthing breaks thats not on me

Just enjoy your card as it is until there exists a working BIOS editor for it. 320W (350W) is plenty of power, no need to trash the card with some incompatible BIOS.

WolvewnScout

hi there, im not sure what PNY 3080 you have, the range i saw for power limits were from 320-350 watts, when it comes to crossflashing you need to make sure for higher powerlimits it can be risky in a few ways, 1 the vrm is not made for a strix bios that can support up to 450 watts can lead to overheating vrm, 2 thing that will be risky is that the pny 3080 cards has 2 8 pin power connectors, in spec 1 8 pin can give 150 watts, with that said most 8 pin power connectors can provide more then that when i was younger i baught a 3080 and did the same thing to get a 450 watt power limit, and in my case the 3080 would crash at 300 somthing watts, happend around 1 year after, might be somthing else but worth taking up, my tip is to stay on the stock bios

if you wanna continue you will need the nvflashk for the crossflashing, but i dont think the gui version will come out, in the github it said "september" but it said that at like agust last year so you will need the non gui version, 2 i know when i did crossflashing there were 2 typs of pcbs on the 3000 series, refrence and another one, if you have a refrence design the match it with another vbios with a refrence design,
1 thing that happend to me with my vbios flashing was that my old 3080 hade extra display ports, so when i downloaded another vbios that only had lets say 2 insted of 4, the 2 extra ports stopped working in my case

thats atleast my experince and tips from when i did this around 4 years ago and a disclamer if somthing breaks thats not on me
I used nvflashk to flash that MSI vbios that didn't work. When looking for a new vbios, I was only looking at vbios' with the same vram type and size, and the same type and number of ports. I wasn't checking the board design though. I have a PNY Revel Epic-X Triple fan that I've watercooled. It has two 8 pin plugs, plus the power from the PCIe slot, and has the highest power limit of the PNY cards at 350W. I feel like it could easily go up to 375 or even 400 though. I did see that Kefi said it would be out in like August/September of last year. While searching, I thought I saw something much more recent about it coming out this August though. It seemed like he had at least the GUI pretty finished from the preview I saw. Already had modding capability, which even if nothing else works but the modding, I'm sure everyone would appreciate him releasing that.