• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PROCHOT and Thermal/EDP Other Limits showing only on Start-up

Morley92

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been cleared up here before but I couldn't find anything after looking. I'm hoping someone can help as this has been driving me mad trying to fix.

Recently I've noticed that the PROCHOT 95 flag has been appearing along with yellow Thermal and EDP Other limits (in CPU and Other columns respectively) on my laptop (MSI GS66 with a 10750H) but only following start-up.

Once I clear the flags and limits in Throttlestop they do not reappear, even when gaming. It only seems to happen after start-up.

I have disabled a number of programs that trigger on start-up but this doesn't seem to prevent it from seemingly throttling. I have recently repasted the CPU with Artic MX-4 as the stock paste looked to have dried out, which has brought temps into the low to mid 80s when gaming. So I'm not sure if it is really the CPU thermal throttling as it seems fine during gaming sessions. I didn't replace the thermal putty on the VRMs as I didn't feel wholly confidant in doing that as it was my first time repasting a laptop and it generally still looked ok. But again, as it's only happening during start-up then I'm not entirely sure if that would be the cause.

Is this anything I need to worry about or could it just be triggered by something in the start-up process?

Thanks

Attachments

• FIVR.png
    FIVR.png
    164.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Limits.png
    Limits.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Throttlestop Home.png
    Throttlestop Home.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 24
  • TPL.png
    TPL.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 27

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
MX-4 causes nothing but problems on mobile CPUs. Try using Honeywell PTM 7950.

Morley92

Thanks unclewebb,

As I said I'm a rookie when it comes to repasting a laptop so maybe I'm misunderstanding but if the thermal paste was causing the issue, wouldn't this mean temps would be high overall, especially when gaming?

I will look into getting hold of some PTM 7950 but I think it's a little tricky to get hold of the real deal in the UK.

unclewebb

For many users, within a couple of weeks of applying MX-4 to their mobile CPUs, this thermal paste starts to pump out and temperatures go up and up.

Your FIVR Turbo Ratio Limits settings show that you are using ThrottleStop to run your CPU much slower than its rated speed. That is why your CPU is not overheating when playing games. You have neutered your CPU's performance.

When booting up your CPU is running at its full rated speed. This causes lots of heat. Your CPU really is thermal throttling during boot up. ThrottleStop is telling you what is really happening. The throttling flags are set within the CPU whether ThrottleStop is running or not.

Morley92

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense now.

I've managed to order what looks like genuine PTM7950 but will likely take a week or two to arrive.

In the meantime is it likely to damage the CPU still using the laptop or is it best waiting until I can get the PTM7950 on it?

Thanks for your help.

unclewebb

Intel CPUs are designed to thermal throttle to protect against any long-term damage. No worries.