• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

psu calculator. sites that have their personal interests vs honest sites

I already ordered a psu that im hoping will ship soon. I didnt use a psu calc. I just got a specifivc amount for some future proofing. so out of curiosity I went to some sites that arent brands or a retailing shop and got around 550-580w on all of them. then I went to the PSU brands and newegg as well. all of them were pushing 750w to 800w for the same specs

an obvious agenda for pushing more expensive products

what sites would you consider honest and dont sell anything so they arent biased?

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
None. Calculators in general can only give rough estimates. Calculate your worst case scenario and overprovision by at least 33%; if your PC needs 800 W of power under full load, buy a 1200 W unit for maximum operating efficiency and to ensure that any spikes in power usage are accounted for. Core i9? 400 W; SSDs? 10 W each. HDDs? 15 W each. RAM? 50 W or so. RTX 4090? 500 W. 4080? 350 W, etc. and then throw an extra 100 W for peripherals, high-speed USB charging, case fans and lighting, etc.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, skimp on the power supply. Don't even think about it. Spend the extra $50, $70, whatever now to avoid having to potentially replace a very expensive component, or the entire system, in the future.

System Name desktop
Processor i5 11600k
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming Z590-Plus WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair 32GB (2 x 16GB) Vengeance LPX, DDR4 3600MHz, CL18
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 4080 TUF Gaming - OC Edition
Storage 2TB WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator 1440p
I always get a bit beefier psu than what i need as a rule of thumb, and also never multirail ones.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Do NOT, under any circumstances, skimp on the power supply. Don't even think about it. Spend the extra $50, $70, whatever now to avoid having to potentially replace a very expensive component, or the entire system, in the future.

I would also like to add that there are plenty of good power supples that are sensibly priced, and also that there is a tendency for enthusiasts to recommend stuff that cost more than what is sensible for the build.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: RX-7878
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E GAMING PLUS
Cooling AM5 Contact Frame + Thermalright PS120SE
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000 CL32-38-38-96
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon™ RX 7800 XT Gaming OC 16GB
Storage WD SN770 1TB (Boot)| 2x 2TB WD SN770 (Gaming)| 2x 2TB Crucial BX500| 2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White) {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 80+ GOLD
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I must have went to three or four different PSU calculators when i was building my current system before settling on an 850w unit which is just absolutely overkill. I could have ran this system with a good 650w unit as it doesnt pull anywhere near 500w when gaming and I always have V-sync on that locks fps to 165Hz. I could run it with V-Sync off but all it would do rinse my wallet when it comes to the electricity bill for no reason at all.

I suggest using the calculators just to get a rough ballpark figure before doing some research on how much power your hardware needs to run (read reviews) and come up with a more accurate figure.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
I already ordered a psu that im hoping will ship soon. I didnt use a psu calc. I just got a specifivc amount for some future proofing. so out of curiosity I went to some sites that arent brands or a retailing shop and got around 550-580w on all of them. then I went to the PSU brands and newegg as well. all of them were pushing 750w to 800w for the same specs

an obvious agenda for pushing more expensive products

what sites would you consider honest and dont sell anything so they arent biased?

I mean at this point I'll say that if you want actual future proofing you want around 800W, if nothing else because you might find pretty cheap previous generation high end GPU's. My 6950xt was very sensibly priced (bought when the 7800xt came out, and it was cheaper than that), but the 550W Seasonic I had wouldn't do very good with it and as such I got the Corsair RM850x because playing games at 4K will want as much power as you can give it.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Calculators in general can only give rough estimates.
In general, that may be true. But not all calculators are the same. And guessing is no good either. For example, some SSDs consume up to 20W each when writing. And most graphics card makers greatly exaggerate their power needs because they don't want to suggest an underpowered supply.

The right way to determine the proper power supply size you need is to research all the components individually (motherboard, CPU, graphics, type and number of RAM sticks, type and number of drives, cooling devices and each connected USB device), determine their maximum power demand. Add those values up to get the minimum size supply you should get. But that takes a lot of time and work. So I recommend using a good PSU calculator and the best and only one I use and recommend is the eXtreme OuterVision PSU Calculator. This will calculate your minimum needs and recommend a suitable size for those needs. It will also recommend a suitable size UPS! :)

Plug in all your components. Be sure to plan ahead and include all the hardware you think you might add in 2 or 3 years (extra drives, bigger or second video card, more RAM, etc.).

While not necessary, I generally recommend setting CPU utilization to 100% and Computer Utilization Time to 16 hours per day. These settings will help compensate for component aging, and add a little extra padding to the results. This typically results in a little cooler and quieter operation. I hate fan noise :mad: so quieter is always better in my book, as long as adequate cooling is not compromised.

Note that no calculator wants to recommend a PSU that is underpowered so they all pad the results, some more than others. Graphics card recommendations and the calculators provided by the PSU makers tend to pad the results more than non-affiliated calculators. PSU makers have the added incentive to recommend larger supplies for bigger profit margins.

The eXtreme OuterVision calculator is independent of those manufacturers and the most conservative. And that's a good thing! This occurs because it is the most flexible and has the most extensive databases of available options you can enter. This allows it to factor in all possible components to much more accurately (and realistically) calculate our needs, rather than guess and assume and add even more padding to ensure they never underestimate.

Calculate your worst case scenario and overprovision by at least 33%;
Whoa! 33% is way overkill! Again, even the eXtreme calculator above pads the results a little. An extra 100W is plenty and often will allow the PSU fan to run slower (or even off) for quieter operation. And if you get a decent 80 Plus certified PSU (I recommend Gold), the efficiency rating will be relatively flat across the full load range.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Whoa! 33% is way overkill! Again, even the eXtreme calculator above pads the results a little. An extra 100W is plenty and often will allow the PSU fan to run slower (or even off) for quieter operation. And if you get a decent 80 Plus certified PSU (I recommend Gold), the efficiency rating will be relatively flat across the full load range.

Outervision's pretty old, and I guess reliable enough although I'd personally follow the manual calculation approach always giving each component generous margins, considered the large transients nowadays, I don't think it is so overkill anymore. There's also a whole bunch of things like USB-PD charging that will suck up the watts, and power supplies are always most efficient at ~80% load, so I think it's a good margin to keep.

Power supplies are like RAM, better to have plenty and not need it, than not having it and needing it - both to a similar extent, of course. Too high capacity PSU, you lose efficiency and it becomes large, unwieldy... too much RAM, you take a hit on the achievable speed.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Outervision's pretty old, and I guess reliable enough although I'd personally follow the manual calculation approach
What does old have to do with it? Yes, it has been around for years but it is still being regularly updated with new devices by a regular staff of researchers. You make it seem like it hasn't been updated in years. That simply is NOT true.

Old in this case simply means well established - and for good reason. It is good. If you know of a new device not yet in their database, a quick note to their contact us page typically gets it added within a few days.

The problem with the manual approach is what I already illustrated above. You "guessed", for example, 10W for SSDs yet some draw 20W. This means you have to carefully go out to each manufacturer's webpage for the product, and HOPE power consumption is listed. Other wise, you are just guessing.

considered the large transients nowadays
Nah! Transients are not a factor. Not sure where you are getting that. It seems you have been misinformed. PSU size depends on power demands, not transients. And power requirements are based on "peak" demand, not average so again, not sure where you are getting "transients". They are not a factor you need to compensate for with an even bigger buffer.

and power supplies are always most efficient at ~80% load
No they aren't. Again, it seems you have been misinformed. For one, it varies by supply. And for another, most are most efficient between 50% and 60% load. See here (scroll down to 80 PLUS logos) and hover over each logo. You will see a bubble appear showing the peak efficient is at 50% load.

But the point is moot because, as I already noted, if you get an 80 PLUS certified supply (and you should), the efficiency is relatively flat across the full range. "Gold" for example, is an excellent 87 - 90% efficient from 20% load up to 100% load.

I also already pointed out how you can add extra padding (to the padding they already include) by increasing utilizations to 100% and 16 hours per day, and you can add another 100W for good measure, if it will make you feel better - though it is not needed.

Sure you can manually research if so inclined. We used to do it in the shop every time, until I found Outervision's calculator and realized (1) how flexible it is and therefore (2) how accurate it is compared to all other calculators that are much less flexible.

Adding an extra 33% won't hurt anything (except maybe, your budget). But it is still WAY overkill. Even Outervision's conservative calculator ensures an underpowered supply will never be recommended.

Don't forget too that when calculating PSU needs (either manually or with a calculator) you always add up the maximum demands of all the components and use that as your minimum size. HOWEVER, it extremely unlikely the CPU, GPU, motherboard, each RAM stick, all drives, and all connected USB devices will ever draw maximum power at the exact same point in time. Even during artificial stress tests, which are designed to max out performance and demands, that does not happen. This means, even though the supply is sized to support every device demanding maximum power at the same point of time, the vast majority of the time the demand will be significantly less.

You can follow the link in my sig to see if I might have a little experience in this area.

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
I haven't really used a power supply calculator in ages, my approach these days is look at the graphics card I'll be looking to purchase, then whatever they recommend throw in an extra 100-200w just to be on the safe side.
Also give you breathing room for future upgrades.
Despite knowing it will probably be overkill since as mentioned by other people, the total power consumption probably won't be as high.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
when it comes to PSU, RAM, CPU, GPU, case, etc., etc., it's best to have it and use it than waste money on performance you will never use but that requires research. As for power needs, most CPU, GPU, even far less power hungry part reviews show power demands with flagship parts in demanding test so researching power needs without a calculator is not that difficult.

PSU efficiency can vary depending on the exact unit with some older platforms using bell shaped efficiency curves while more modern (and quality) platforms can be flatter. Once again do your research

I have to admit I dont go for the more premium psu anymore. 80 gold is fine for me. get 20% more power then needed.

I purchased a 1200w (cant remember which brand but a known brand) back when i was so naive and ate up marketing bs and wanted to game with tri sli and had the asus striker II formula board. both failed in 3.5 years. thats when I realized premium products arent always quality. I now by "good enough". that was the time when wire sleeving was a thing. today they implement it into the psu as a set.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
my approach these days is look at the graphics card I'll be looking to purchase, then whatever they recommend throw in an extra 100-200w just to be on the safe side.
Yeah, but that is still a guess. What CPU are they using? How many drives? How many fans? How many RAM sticks? What if you have a much hungrier CPU than they used? What if your CPU only sips power?

Yeah, your way is most likely safe because again, the graphics card maker does not want to suggest an underpowered supply. But you might buy (and spend) way WAY more than you need.

More power does NOT mean better quality power.

What does old have to do with it? Yes, it has been around for years but it is still being regularly updated with new devices by a regular staff of researchers. You make it seem like it hasn't been updated in years. That simply is NOT true.

Old in this case simply means well established - and for good reason. It is good. If you know of a new device not yet in their database, a quick note to their contact us page typically gets it added within a few days.

The problem with the manual approach is what I already illustrated above. You "guessed", for example, 10W for SSDs yet some draw 20W. This means you have to carefully go out to each manufacturer's webpage for the product, and HOPE power consumption is listed. Other wise, you are just guessing.

Nah! Transients are not a factor. Not sure where you are getting that. It seems you have been misinformed. PSU size depends on power demands, not transients. And power requirements are based on "peak" demand, not average so again, not sure where you are getting "transients". They are not a factor you need to compensate for with an even bigger buffer.

No they aren't. Again, it seems you have been misinformed. For one, it varies by supply. And for another, most are most efficient between 50% and 60% load. See here (scroll down to 80 PLUS logos) and hover over each logo. You will see a bubble appear showing the peak efficient is at 50% load.

But the point is moot because, as I already noted, if you get an 80 PLUS certified supply (and you should), the efficiency is relatively flat across the full range. "Gold" for example, is an excellent 87 - 90% efficient from 20% load up to 100% load.

I also already pointed out how you can add extra padding (to the padding they already include) by increasing utilizations to 100% and 16 hours per day, and you can add another 100W for good measure, if it will make you feel better - though it is not needed.

Sure you can manually research if so inclined. We used to do it in the shop every time, until I found Outervision's calculator and realized (1) how flexible it is and therefore (2) how accurate it is compared to all other calculators that are much less flexible.

Adding an extra 33% won't hurt anything (except maybe, your budget). But it is still WAY overkill. Even Outervision's conservative calculator ensures an underpowered supply will never be recommended.

Don't forget too that when calculating PSU needs (either manually or with a calculator) you always add up the maximum demands of all the components and use that as your minimum size. HOWEVER, it extremely unlikely the CPU, GPU, motherboard, each RAM stick, all drives, and all connected USB devices will ever draw maximum power at the exact same point in time. Even during artificial stress tests, which are designed to max out performance and demands, that does not happen. This means, even though the supply is sized to support every device demanding maximum power at the same point of time, the vast majority of the time the demand will be significantly less.

You can follow the link in my sig to see if I might have a little experience in this area.

Transients are important to the point they literally reworked the ATX specification itself to account for them, mate. I'm not misinformed. You may have a point of getting away with it if you're building a low spec PC or something that's remarkably power efficient like the Ryzen 7 X3D chips, but otherwise, you better account for it or you're in a world of hurt. An undersized PSU can easily shutdowns with high-end cards pushing 4K high fps, and these Core i9 chips just chug power. Numbers I brought up were just general rough estimates as well.

I'll maintain the safer than sorry approach when it comes to building high-performance PCs, otherwise, anything works really.

80 Plus is also well on its way out, btw. Some PSU manufacturers won't even submit their power supplies to that certification anymore, Cybenetics tends to be more comprehensive. I believe Corsair already dropped 80+

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
Yeah, but that is still a guess. What CPU are they using? How many drives? How many fans? How many RAM sticks? What if you have a much hungrier CPU than they used? What if your CPU only sips power?

Yeah, your way is most likely safe because again, the graphics card maker does not want to suggest an underpowered supply. But you might buy (and spend) way WAY more than you need.

More power does NOT mean better quality power.
Most general consumer would ever top out a CPU wattage, not unless of course you're doing some crazy CPU intensive work that would trigger the cpu to run at full speed constantly.
Fans, ram and storage I've never really been too concerned about them, even though they should be a factor.
Not saying you're wrong, I agree more power doesn't mean better quality.
It's just a quick and simple way without over complicating it too much, the price difference between like 750-1000w isn't that big of a jump.
It's just a matter of making sure you pick one that best suits your need and build quality itself.
Which by the time you look at the ones that are like £100($130)+, most of the time you would find mainly the big brands like Corsair, be quiet, seasonic etc.
As someone said, never cheap out on power supply.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling SilverStone XE360-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
None. Calculators in general can only give rough estimates.
This. I don’t trust PSU calculators at all. Once upon a time they were no better then adding up the design power of all the parts for you. With device pushing past TDP imo they aren’t safe bets. Not to mention I can’t think of 1 that proves where they get there measurements. It’s maybe wasteful and needless but I always spec up way over. Never bit me in the ass though. No point investing in a PC if you’re going to get a dog shit PSU or one that’s way under rated.

the54thvoid

Super Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
This. I don’t trust PSU calculators at all. Once upon a time they were no better then adding up the design power of all the parts for you. With device pushing past TDP imo they aren’t safe bets. Not to mention I can’t think of 1 that proves where they get there measurements. It’s maybe wasteful and needless but I always spec up way over. Never bit me in the ass though. No point investing in a PC if you’re going to get a dog shit PSU or one that’s way under rated.
Isn't it the case though, that an 'overkill' PSU is designed to be more efficient because it doesn't tend to run at it's rated power?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Transients are important to the point they literally reworked the ATX specification itself to account for them, mate. I'm not misinformed.
Yes, "INPUT" transients.

but otherwise, you better account for it
Sorry but this is a silly argument. You act as if only you can account for such things and that the OuterVision calculator and the human developers and researchers who code it and update their databases are incapable of doing just that. That is total nonsense. They can just as easily as you go out to Intel or NVIDIA or Samsung and research the power demands for a CPU, GPU, or SSD and punch that into their database.

An undersized PSU can easily shutdowns with high-end cards pushing 4K high fps, and these Core i9 chips just chug power.
Really? If only the Outervision calculator, and the researchers updating its databases understood high-end cards and i9 processors. Oh wait! It does, and they do. :kookoo:

Once again, if you don't want to use the calculator, DON'T!!!! I don't care. But don't guess either.

And once again, I only use or recommend the eXtreme Outvision calculator. Why? Because I have done my homework. I have verified its findings. And I have NEVER, not once had it suggest an underpowered "dog shit PSU".

But again, don't use it if you don't want. But hey! Nothing is stopping you from doing all the research yourself, then comparing it to Outervision's suggestion.

Most general consumer would ever top out a CPU wattage
Not sure what a "general" consumer is. I note there are many reasons a CPU can go to 100% utilization that don't involve stress tests or benchmark programs. Some security scans could do it, for example. And I note there are many threads where the poster is complaining their CPU is sitting at 100%. Fire up Task Manager/Resource Monitor and let it run for awhile. You might be surprised.

that an 'overkill' PSU is designed to be more efficient because it doesn't tend to run at it's rated power?
No. Again, look at 80 PLUS criteria for Gold. There is only 3% difference between 50% load and 100% load. That really is negligible in terms of energy waste when the starting point is already an excellent 87%. And I note the majority of the time a computer is running, it is running closer to idle demands than it is to maximum demands.

I am not, and never have suggested buying a supply that has zero headroom. And no respectable calculator will ever underestimate - assuming the user enters the correct information. And nothing is stopping the users from adding an extra 100W.

It is just a tool. A good one, but not one you must use.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have to admit I dont go for the more premium psu anymore. 80 gold is fine for me. get 20% more power then needed.

I purchased a 1200w (cant remember which brand but a known brand) back when i was so naive and ate up marketing bs and wanted to game with tri sli and had the asus striker II formula board. both failed in 3.5 years. thats when I realized premium products arent always quality. I now by "good enough". that was the time when wire sleeving was a thing. today they implement it into the psu as a set.

The main difference with premium PSUs is the warranty, but yeah back in those days things were very different.