• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quadro RTX 3000 TDP issue

cride20

Hello fellow readers!
I'm relatively new to here but I'm so clueless about a gpu related issue... after trying to fix it for the past 5-6hours I started to gave up, and this forum looked the most promising to ask such a question

Backstory:
Recently I bought a Lenovo P53 with a Quadro RTX 3000 and an i7-9850H for a cheap price, but my issue is that the gpu is underperforming, like way below expectations. (using 15-20w instead of its 80w tdp)

Issue:
GPUs current TDP is around 15-20w paired with 100% usage in creative apps, games, benchmarks everything. The clock speeds seems to be locked to 300MHz for some odd reason.
The frustrating thing is somehow I fixed it for 10minutes and it locked back to 30w again.. because of that I saw that it can eat 80w easily and perform 500% faster I started to find methods to fix this "issue".
Thermals are fine (<65C) power limiting shouldn't be an issue since it did work before with 80w easily, and the power cable is 230w that could easily power the whole system.
(I'm also attaching a screenshots how does a locked performance look like, and how did that unlocked performance looked like before)

GPU-Z Performance cap reasons:
Pwr = (performance is limited by total power limit)
Thrm = (performance is limited by temperature limit)
After some registry tweaks instead of idle: (still drops down to 300mHz as soon as I open any GPU intensive application)
VRel =(performance is limited by voltage reliability)
Vop = (performance is limited by max operating voltage)

A method that "works":
One method I found is that if I change the NVIDIA control panels "Adjust image settings with preview" tab to "Use my preference emphasising: Performance" then settings the max power inside NVIDIA APP to maximum performance, then reinstalling NVIDIA driver via the NVIDIA app beta, it works until I put the notebook into sleep or hibernate, closing the lid, restarting etc. you got the point.
I don't want to reinstall the driver everytime I want to do some GPU heavy workload.

Other methods I tried:
Regedit:
"DisableDynamicPstate" to 0 (disable dynamically changing performance states to maintain max performance p0 state)
"EnableDriverControlledPMM" to 0 (driver controlled power management off)

Other:
Tried installing game ready drivers maybe it'll fix some issues, it didn't
Hidden power plan settings I found... (no idle state on the cpu) didn't fix it

Sorry if some sentences are hard to understand, I'm not that good at the language :/
Thanks any help and time that you spent reading it :D

Attachments

• GPU-Z.png
    GPU-Z.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 8
  • not locked performance.png
    not locked performance.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 9
Nvidia has a very complex organization of poer limits. While GPU-Z is great - some additinal power-usage related info may be seen in hwinfo64 for some GPUs.

Here is somebodys screenshot for desktop GPU - with my marks on expanded/especially interesting. The values are irrelevant, its just a sample what info can be interesting.
make a pair of similar screenshots with such info - one when the problem exists and second while the problem do not present (after your complex but temporal workaround).

Attachments

• 1726269059706.png
    1726269059706.png
    761.4 KB · Views: 12