• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick Look: LETSHUOER x Z Review Z12 Planar IEMs

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
LETSHUOER partners with HiFiGo and audio personality Z Review to bring out a customized version of its popular S12 planar IEMs. The new Z12 comes in black or gold (or both) colors while also introducing a new modular cable and a slight bass boost, with the goal of a more balanced and fun tuning.

Show full review

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
@SOAREVERSOR I've let @W1zzard know that you were unable to comment on this and the previous quick look article before I posted something first.

@VSG Yeah it's only the quick look. The discussion icon doesn't pop up until you post.

I think I'll pick these up. The price is right for a planar to mess around with and the acessory pack is generous. Dig the look as well. Tossing in that cable is a great value add.

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
@VSG Yeah it's only the quick look. The discussion icon doesn't pop up until you post.

I think I'll pick these up. The price is right for a planar to mess around with and the acessory pack is generous. Dig the look as well. Tossing in that cable is a great value add.
Weird, @W1zzard checked but he could not find anything different about the quick look articles. Maybe it's worth taking a second look at it.

Weird, @W1zzard checked but he could not find anything different about the quick look articles. Maybe it's worth taking a second look at it.
May just be me but it's reproducable and constant so....

Back to the review though I also like the different colors. I'm not a fan of some of the resin builds.

Last edited:
I have a pair of S12s and see little, if any, difference in the shell, apart from the colours and styling. If Letshuoer is using the same shell with the same OEM planar drivers, I wonder how they achieved the Z12 fine tuning.

I got a look inside my S12s (which I love) when the two halves of one of the shells came apart. There was nothing in there apart from the driver. No damping materials that I could see, or waveguides. It could be that the Z12s are sculpted differently inside, or there’s a different filter between the driver and the nozzle.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I have a pair of S12s and see little, if any, difference in the shell, apart from the colours and styling. If Letshuoer is using the same shell with the same OEM planar drivers, I wonder how they achieved the Z12 fine tuning.

I got a look inside my S12s (which I love) when the two halves of one of the shells came apart. There was nothing in there apart from the driver. No damping materials that I could see, or waveguides. It could be that the Z12s are sculpted differently inside, or there’s a different filter between the driver and the nozzle.
Nothing different internally, it's likely a different nozzle filter. The drivers are the exact same.

Nothing different internally, it's likely a different nozzle filter. The drivers are the exact same.

As they went modular on the cable what about modular filters? Etymotic and Moondrop have done this and still do. One of the advantages of dodging metal nozzles is that you can do it.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
As they went modular on the cable what about modular filters? Etymotic and Moondrop have done this and still do. One of the advantages of dodging metal nozzles is that you can do it.
They could, but as with most collabs this is more a simple thing to get more sales done while also giving a cut to the other person involved. So I doubt anyone would do more than the bare minimum for re-tuned sets. Some, such as the new Olina SE from Tripowin, claim to have used updated drivers also but that could also be as simple as what the OEM factory had available at the time after natural R&D.

Moondrop rose in my estimation when they acknowledged the OEM of their Stellaris planars. I suspect the same drivers are popping up in many of the current batch of planar IEMs. Letshuoer deserve a pat on the back for fitting the drivers in such a small housing. I love the fit and the sound.

They could, but as with most collabs this is more a simple thing to get more sales done while also giving a cut to the other person involved. So I doubt anyone would do more than the bare minimum for re-tuned sets. Some, such as the new Olina SE from Tripowin, claim to have used updated drivers also but that could also be as simple as what the OEM factory had available at the time after natural R&D.

While understood it's a "good enough" set and punching in the same price range and style do offer this. Personally I love the fact that they have two types of silicons and also foams rather than just cheaping out and get all sizes. The modular cable is good as well. It's sort of checking all the boxes but then splat no swappable fliters.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Hey @VSG - what IEM would you recommend to someone using Fidelio X2/X2HR daily for years at home? $150 max. I used to roll with Soundmagic E30 back in the day, then moved on to Kinera H3 (which had a tendency to be a little too bright for my taste, high would come up sounding harsh) but when the cable died on them 2 years ago and remote work started I had no need for new set. Now I'm looking for something that can be used on the go when out shopping or for a walk and all the 11/11 sales make it a good time to grab a set.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Hey @VSG - what IEM would you recommend to someone using Fidelio X2/X2HR daily for years at home? $150 max. I used to roll with Soundmagic E30 back in the day, then moved on to Kinera H3 (which had a tendency to be a little too bright for my taste, high would come up sounding harsh) but when the cable died on them 2 years ago and remote work started I had no need for new set. Now I'm looking for something that can be used on the go when out shopping or for a walk and all the 11/11 sales make it a good time to grab a set.
Maybe the Tripowin Olina SE? Not published yet but here you go: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/quick-look-tripowin-x-hbb-olina-se-in-ear-monitors/

There's another set being released on Nov 10 (Truthear Hexa) which has many people excited about it. My unit is on the way so I'll quickly see whether the hype is justified or not.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE