• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer Blade 18 14900HX settings questions

Hello, I have been using throttlestop for a long time now but I recently got a new laptop, and I was wondering how to fully optimize it and if these settings are fine. I also was wondering if checking the overclock and the vmax stress box in FIVR is necessary, and in TPL do i have to change the power limit 4 and uncheck the disable controls option? not sure about if checking the MMIO lock could mess with the razer synapse performance options, but would like to know if it could, Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    162.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    321.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    91.4 KB · Views: 39

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
overclock
You only need to check the Overclock box if you are planning to overclock your CPU. Most people with a 14900HX struggle to keep it cool when running at default clocks. Most laptops do not have the necessary cooling for overclocking.

vmax stress
Checking this box will throttle the CPU a little if the voltage gets too high. Given all the recent issues Intel is having with their CPUs degrading, likely due to high voltage, leaving V-Max checked might not be a bad idea.

do i have to change the power limit 4
You do not have to do anything. I prefer to set PL4 to a value of 0. If the present setting your computer is using is not causing any throttling then you can leave it as is. You only need to change a setting if you have a specific problem you are trying to solve.

checking the MMIO lock could mess with the razer synapse performance options
That is likely true. If you are using Razer Synapse to manage performance then do not check MMIO Lock.

Checking the mV Boost box and setting that to approximately 150 can help reduce light load crashes when undervolting. The CPU Core, P Cache and E Cache do not all need to be set to the same undervolt value. It is OK if they are set equally but you can also adjust these individually however you like. Usually setting the core equal to the P cache or a little higher works best.

Other users with 14900HX CPUs have recently posted their ThrottleStop settings that they are using. Scroll down a page or two in the ThrottleStop forum and you should be able to find some additional information.

You only need to check the Overclock box if you are planning to overclock your CPU. Most people with a 14900HX struggle to keep it cool when running at default clocks. Most laptops do not have the necessary cooling for overclocking.

Checking this box will throttle the CPU a little if the voltage gets too high. Given all the recent issues Intel is having with their CPUs degrading, likely due to high voltage, leaving V-Max checked might not be a bad idea.

You do not have to do anything. I prefer to set PL4 to a value of 0. If the present setting your computer is using is not causing any throttling then you can leave it as is. You only need to change a setting if you have a specific problem you are trying to solve.

That is likely true. If you are using Razer Synapse to manage performance then do not check MMIO Lock.

Checking the mV Boost box and setting that to approximately 150 can help reduce light load crashes when undervolting. The CPU Core, P Cache and E Cache do not all need to be set to the same undervolt value. It is OK if they are set equally but you can also adjust these individually however you like. Usually setting the core equal to the P cache or a little higher works best.

Other users with 14900HX CPUs have recently posted their ThrottleStop settings that they are using. Scroll down a page or two in the ThrottleStop forum and you should be able to find some additional information.
Thank you for the info! If i may ask, is thermal velocity boost needed and/or useful? Even when I disabled it I saw there was a yellow sign of TVB in the limits box

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
When the Thermal Velocity Boost box is checked in the FIVR window, this tells the CPU to slow down, usually 100 MHz, when the peak CPU core temperature reaches 70°C. I like to call this a throttling feature, not a boost feature. If you want your CPU to slow down like this, leave this box checked. I prefer to clear the Thermal Velocity Boost box. That tells the CPU to only slow down when it reaches the 100°C thermal throttling temperature. Slowing a CPU down when it is overheating makes sense. Slowing a CPU down when it reaches 70°C makes no sense to me.

When the Thermal Velocity Boost box is checked in the FIVR window, this tells the CPU to slow down, usually 100 MHz, when the peak CPU core temperature reaches 70°C. I like to call this a throttling feature, not a boost feature. If you want your CPU to slow down like this, leave this box checked. I prefer to clear the Thermal Velocity Boost box. That tells the CPU to only slow down when it reaches the 100°C thermal throttling temperature. Slowing a CPU down when it is overheating makes sense. Slowing a CPU down when it reaches 70°C makes no sense to me.
Thanks, I'm assuming I don't have to check anything speed shift because windows 11 will control it just fine