• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Realtek ALC4080 replacement

Pacmanpc

Not trying to hijack the thread https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...of-realtek-alc4080.326238/page-3#post-5325547 but I'm in the same boat as OP and so glad someone asked the same questions i have been looking for answers to.

My motherboard also has the same chip, ASROCK 650E Taichi LIte which has Realtek ALC4082 5.1 CH HD Audio Codec & ESS SABRE9218 DAC, and i'm looking for sound options myself and the info provided so far is great but i'm still confused.

Call my stupid but how do you connect 5.1 speakers to a DAC? they seem to all be for headphones and have 1 or 2 3.5mm output jacks, usually mic and line out/headphones

My new computer only has mic and line out jacks on the rear of the motherboard as well as a spdif port and it seems i have to use front panel jack to get the 5.1 surround which isn't ideal as i dont want an extra cable running across my pc case to the rear as the 3.5mm jacks are in a bundle that cant be split. i cant figure out how to set it up to get full 5.1 sound

Motherboard only has 2 pci slots and 1 used up by the GPU so kind of dont want to fill last one with a sound card if i can avoid it

1725622899972.png

I have only ever used a soundcard in the past or used the built in 5 jacks on recent motherboards so my current speakers have 5 seperate cables with 3.5mm jacks for 5.1 surround.

Don't really want to have to only use headphones and ideally not have to buy a new set of speakers unless there is a cheap/budget decent set not costing more than $100 USD

Looks like the creative X4 has all the ports to match my speakers
The G6 only has mic and headphone jack

Last edited by a moderator:
They certainly got rid of multichannel analogue by the looks of it, sorry was just commenting on the 2 ports only. SPDIF and DTS Interactive, else no multichannel :(
Not unless that is the newer SPDIF, the current consumer version, then you don't need DTS to get multichannel out of SPDIF.

----

Just looked at that particular ESS SABRE 9218, it is 2 channel only, so you are fixed to stereo only. SPDIF or another card are the only options.
I found ESS Sabre DAC's in the past, which are used in AVR's that are current consumer SPDIF 15+ channels.

----

Attachments

• SC-95.png
    SC-95.png
    472.2 KB · Views: 1
  • RX-A8A.png
    RX-A8A.png
    624.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: