• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Revisions / Differentation of Contact Frames [Intel]

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
Increasingly curious how these stack up against each other and themselves. Revised designs following the intial surge during 12th gen are more or less confusing, but what do they actually correct or add.

Core Ultra appears to leave the door open to what is probably a high mark up accessory for third party vendors. It almost certainly is for Thermal Grizzly who present themselves as making the premium product for 12th - 14th gen that comes with a premium price. Most interestingly the product was relaunched for 13th and 14th gen (but still valid on 12th gen) in a revised form that most notably removed the officially stated nm torque spec and printed tick marks for visual guesstimation. Some paring along bottom edge and reshaping of interior dimensions was also delivered.

Thermalright and other offerings ranging from AliExpress to ??? are less discoverable, less contactable. In my mind they contain even wider variations and utility during home installation of contact frame and cpu cooler. Amazing to me the enforced to a high standard stock ILS that was given immensely more critical design by immensely more intelligent people than a vtuber (or the singular Roman XD) isn't facing a Wild West of pretenders creating uneven pressures and randomly varied results with conceivably lower standards of QC/QA in many cases.

Has any clear winner been determined when used with a high quality cooler designed expressly for LGA 1700 (awaiting LGA 1851 versions)? Any known good combinations for a specific board?
Call it a post-mortem or learning from the past to avoid repeating it in the future. ;)

System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / R9 380 2 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / MSi G2712
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / Corsair CX650M / DQ550ST [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
I never noticed any significant difference between no-name frames and premium tier ones in terms of installation simplicity, efficiency etc. Perhaps 1 degree Celcius at most. Might be better materials that withstand more CPU replacements but that doesn't matter for those who just bought a PC and plans on upgrading it... perhaps another decade. Which is 99% users.

Skipping LGA1851 is a correct choice nonetheless because Intel must admit the non-square design is cancer and heterogenous arch doesn't solve problems, it only creates them. The K.I.S.S. principle exists for a reason.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
I should note despite this being an unsquare Intel thread that the very squared off designs also have contact frames on the market.
Worth noting even if this topic intends directing focus towards the importance of a situation surrounding Intel's release this week.