• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

rx 570 shows memory and core clocks stuck at 0 mhz

Kev0122

I have a rx 570, an it suddenly crashed when watching a video
since then the amd driver interface fails to open, it says that my gpu is not recognized, gpuz and afterburner show clock and memory speed stuck at 0 (gpuz displays other information accurately) and videogames and high resolution videos render at low framerates (games run at like 3 fps)

I have tried uninstalling drivers using ddu and amd cleanup utility and installing many driver versions and it keeps giving the same error message when trying to open amd driver interface

I have also tried:
-Booting on linux ( I loose video signal when trying to boot)
-flashing gpu bios (I got dual bios, both give me the same error, flashed one and the issue persist)
is it posible that both bios got corrupted at once when the issue started?
-Booting on linux from a pendrive (also loose video signal when trying to boot)

my specs: Rx 570 saphire nitro plus 4gb, asus h81md, psu evga 600 ba, 8gb ddr3 ram, i3 4130 cpu

could a defective mobo cause the issue?
is it most likely a gpu hardware problem?
(already testes psu using a multimeter and it display correct voltages)

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
My money is on GPU hardware failure. Could both firmwares get corrupted simultanously? About as likely as getting hit by lightning twice. The chance of firmware corruption at all is VERY slim. Firmware is read on boot and then left alone. There is no writing to firmware while your computer is in use so there is no reason for it to get corrupted during use either. Unless somebody have flashed bad/wrong firmware in the first place, your firmware is hardly ever the fault.

There is a slim chance that the problem is your motherboard. Have you tested the GPU in a different computer?

Your CPU should have onboard graphics though, does that work?

Measuring your PSU with a multimeter just confirm that it power on and deliver voltage. The quality of the delivered power is not measurable with a multimeter. So your PSU can still be at fault.

I would focus on testing that GPU first, PSU second, and motherboard third.

Kev0122

My money is on GPU hardware failure. Could both firmwares get corrupted simultanously? About as likely as getting hit by lightning twice. The chance of firmware corruption at all is VERY slim. Firmware is read on boot and then left alone. There is no writing to firmware while your computer is in use so there is no reason for it to get corrupted during use either. Unless somebody have flashed bad/wrong firmware in the first place, your firmware is hardly ever the fault.

There is a slim chance that the problem is your motherboard. Have you tested the GPU in a different computer?

Your CPU should have onboard graphics though, does that work?

Measuring your PSU with a multimeter just confirm that it power on and deliver voltage. The quality of the delivered power is not measurable with a multimeter. So your PSU can still be at fault.

I would focus on testing that GPU first, PSU second, and motherboard third.
I started suspecting my mobo could be damaged since sometimes certain usb ports get messy, also sata ports have caused some issues
I got integrated graphics, but haven't tried that, I tried swaping my gpu (used and old gt 710) and my pc suddenly stopped Booting at all, in fact even lights and fans fail to turn on, so it makes my mobo even more suspicious. Then I clean my setup a little and rearranged the cables and the pc booted normally with the gt 710 connected, I swaped the rx 570 back, and I keep getting the same issues

next I will try to test my gpu on a friend's pc so I can rule out a problem with pcie slot or motherboard in general

I should add that my gpu was not new when I bought it , and it seems that bios have been reflashed in the past, since both bios slot had the same bios instead of having the normal bios in one slot and the turbo bios in the other one (original bios configuration in this model)
Maybe I should try reflashing again in one of the slots using a dos enviroment since they say is less error prone, and my pc crashed right after I flashed BIOS using Windows tool

The multimeter shows all the voltages within the desired range of +-5% variation, but you are right, there's no way to tell if everything is working fine when I connect my hardware

Thanks for Quick reply