• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ryzen 5700X, MSI RX580 Armor, MSI B450/B550 Mobos : Black screen until operating system boots up.

patatempura

Hi,

Apologies for the lengthy post but I've spent two weeks trying to solve this issue and I am running out of things to try out. I'll lay it out in chronological order :

Base specs:
  • MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
  • Ryzen 2600X
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX - 4 x 16GB
  • MSI RX580 Armor 8G OC
    • One TV on HDMI, two displays each on Displayport.
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
  • One M.2 drive, two SATA drives - plugging them in & out had no effect whatsoever
  • And I'm using Linux but it shouldn't really matter, I think.
Couple notes :
Never overclocked, I don't even use XMP.
I saw a bunch of relevant results on Google where people had updated their GPU's VBIOS for crypto mining but that's not my case. I did some gaming back in the day until fans started giving out (common issue with Armor from what I could gather - the whole PC shuts down and fans go bananas to cool the system down), nowadays I treat it like just a display card with four outputs.

Beyond these, had no issues for the last 4+ years. Worked well as a software dev/Docker & VM/overall productivity machine.
Then I decided to grab a 5700X while it was on sale.

A.
Did a bios update (7B85v1G) while 2600X was plugged in. System rebooted without issues.

Plugged 5700X and now I can't see the BIOS logo nor get inside the setup.
However, if I leave it be, Linux eventually boots up and after that, everything works perfectly. It's noticeably faster, the new Deepcool AK400 is more silent & runs pretty cool and I ran a stress test tool for 2 hours without any issues.

Here's what I see when I start it up :
1. CPU red light stays on for a bit, it goes away & comes back. In the end though, it completely goes away and I can toggle the capslock light. I think with 2600X, this process is much quicker.
2. Same with VGA light, it remains red for a while.

3a. At this point, if I don't mash Delete/F2/F11 and just let it do its thing, VGA light eventually goes away. Boot light goes away pretty quickly as well.
Then, Linux boots up almost instantly. I added 20 seconds of delay to Grub in case it was too fast for BIOS... still no display : Grub remains invisible until it picks the default option at the end of the timeout.

3b. If I mash delete, VGA light eventually goes away, but I can see nothing. It's just pure black.

What I tried :
  • Did the battery reset jumper trick
  • Removed CMOS battery for 15-30 minutes, did the "press power button for a couple seconds 15 times" thing while I'm at it
  • Disconnected all drives just so I could see _something_. BOOT light stays reds as expected, but still no display.
  • Used Bios flashback with 7B85v1G and did the whole CMOS/Jumper dance for 4 times
  • Used two memory sticks
  • Used one memory stick on each slot
  • Reconnected everything (see C below)
  • I had a ton of other HDMI cables laying around as I'm using the same set of displays with my work laptop. Tried every single possible Displayport and HDMI combination : One HDMI, one Displayport, two HDMIs, only one HDMI and one Displayport, different cables in different ports & one monitor at a time... nothing seems to work. I can usually see them picking up something as they start lighting up, but they fall back to "No signal" pretty fast.
    • Plugged HDMI and Displayport into mobo's integrated port because I'm running out of options and well, unsurprisingly, I still get no display.
B.
Plugged 2600X back in, everything works A-OK. I can see and navigate the BIOS on all three displays.

I noticed that MSI's support page indicates a now-deleted version (7B85v1F) on their support so I flashed it. 2600X still works fine.

Inspected 5700X for bent pins, can't see any.
Put 5700X back, back to black screen during boot. Reinstalled bios with the flashback, no changes.
Flashed 7B85v1G again roughly a dozen times because I've read folks mentioning things getting back to normal after half a dozen flashes (which is beyond insane but I'm running out of options), no dice.

If I let Linux boot, do things still work fine ? Yup.

I read that disabling CSM might prevent the RX580 from initializing. I can see that it is enabled when 2600X is in and I can access BIOS.
And if plugging 5700X magically turns it off or changes some other configuration option, I can't see anything since I can't get inside BIOS setup.

C.
So, I read a bunch of stuff about how B450 wasn't really ready for 5xxx series and was an afterthought. I really didn't want to change the mobo but seeing how it works okay with 2600X and not 5700x led me to believe that maybe the mobo was just incompatible. Also, my test cluster often gets bottlenecked by the M.2 drive & doubling the speed with PCIe 4.0 sounded nice.

I didn't want to get an MSI mobo but MSI B550 Tomahawk MAX WIFI was the only available motherboard that had USB ports I wanted and didn't have a buggy ethernet & frequent BSOD issues so I grabbed one from the nearby store.

Reassembled everything, put 5700X in and... nope, exact same issue.
I can't see what the BIOS version was out of the box so I grab the earliest version where 5700X was validated (7C91v20), did the flashback. Made no difference

(And I can't even boot with the B550 but I didn't expect it to do so)

D.
I gave up, reassembled B450 back into the case, plopped in 5700X one last time - nope, still no display.
Put 2600X back, grabbed a new M.2 drive to install a new Linux distro while still on 7B85v1G. Everything just works.

At this point, I can put 5700X back & hope to return the B550... But being unable to open up my BIOS is giving me way too much anxiety. I don't fiddle with it often, but I do occasionally need it whenever I need to boot up from a live usb or change a setting or two. Keeping the 2600X around and switching CPUs just so I can see the BIOS feels so, so wrong.

So,
- Either my particular 5700X is broken in a very unique way but I find it hard to believe given how well it works past the BIOS stage
- MSI BIOSes all have a peculiar issue ?
- RX580 is... too old ? Or incompatible with 5xxx ? Or a combination of all of the above ?

The board and gpu are too old to be RMA'd. The only thing I haven't tried is a new GPU and a mobo from another brand... And spending 400$ on a GPU feels insane for a non-gaming PC. I already have a 3060 mobile gaming laptop and it works fine for occasional gaming and CUDA runs. I'd rather avoid dropping that much money on yet another graphics card.

Maybe a used 1650/1660ti from ebay with 3+ output ports (Nvidia sucks on Linux apparently but I just wanna see what happens - and switching graphics is faster than disassembling the tower fan & re-pasting the CPU, if I decide to give up on fixing the core issue) will do the trick, idk.

Is there anything else I should try ?

Last edited:
System Name intel-agence
Processor intel core i7 7700k @ 4.9-Ghz OC
Motherboard Asus ROG Z270 Maximus IX Hero
Cooling 360mm AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB @ 3200-Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX 1080 8GB OC edition
Storage crucial p3 1TB + 4TB hdd
Display(s) AOC 32G2WG3
Power Supply 850 watt
Mouse g502 Hero
Software Win 11 pro 64
Benchmark Scores CINEBENCH R15 ( 1034 pts )
Hi,

Apologies for the lengthy post but I've spent two weeks trying to solve this issue and I am running out of things to try out. I'll lay it out in chronological order :

Base specs:
  • MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
  • Ryzen 2600X
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX - 4 x 16GB
  • MSI RX580 Armor 8G OC
    • One TV on HDMI, two displays each on Displayport.
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
  • One M.2 drive, two SATA drives - plugging them in & out had no effect whatsoever
  • And I'm using Linux but it shouldn't really matter, I think.
Couple notes :
Never overclocked, I don't even use XMP.
I saw a bunch of relevant results on Google where people had updated their GPU's VBIOS for crypto mining but that's not my case. I did some gaming back in the day until fans started giving out (common issue with Armor from what I could gather - the whole PC shuts down and fans go bananas to cool the system down), nowadays I treat it like just a display card with four outputs.

Beyond these, had no issues for the last 4+ years. Worked well as a software dev/Docker & VM/overall productivity machine.
Then I decided to grab a 5700X while it was on sale.

A.
Did a bios update (7B85v1G) while 2600X was plugged in. System rebooted without issues.

Plugged 5700X and now I can't see the BIOS logo nor get inside the setup.
However, if I leave it be, Linux eventually boots up and after that, everything works perfectly. It's noticeably faster, the new Deepcool AK400 is more silent & runs pretty cool and I ran a stress test tool for 2 hours without any issues.

Here's what I see when I start it up :
1. CPU red light stays on for a bit, it goes away & comes back. In the end though, it completely goes away and I can toggle the capslock light. I think with 2600X, this process is much quicker.
2. Same with VGA light, it remains red for a while.

3a. At this point, if I don't mash Delete/F2/F11 and just let it do its thing, VGA light eventually goes away. Boot light goes away pretty quickly as well.
Then, Linux boots up almost instantly. I added 20 seconds of delay to Grub in case it was too fast for BIOS... still no display : Grub remains invisible until it picks the default option at the end of the timeout.

3b. If I mash delete, VGA light eventually goes away, but I can see nothing. It's just pure black.

What I tried :
  • Did the battery reset jumper trick
  • Removed CMOS battery for 15-30 minutes, did the "press power button for a couple seconds 15 times" thing while I'm at it
  • Disconnected all drives just so I could see _something_. BOOT light stays reds as expected, but still no display.
  • Used Bios flashback with 7B85v1G and did the whole CMOS/Jumper dance for 4 times
  • Used two memory sticks
  • Used one memory stick on each slot
  • Reconnected everything (see C below)
  • I had a ton of other HDMI cables laying around as I'm using the same set of displays with my work laptop. Tried every single possible Displayport and HDMI combination : One HDMI, one Displayport, two HDMIs, only one HDMI and one Displayport, different cables in different ports & one monitor at a time... nothing seems to work. I can usually see them picking up something as they start lighting up, but they fall back to "No signal" pretty fast.
    • Plugged HDMI and Displayport into mobo's integrated port because I'm running out of options and well, unsurprisingly, I still get no display.
B.
Plugged 2600X back in, everything works A-OK. I can see and navigate the BIOS on all three displays.

I noticed that MSI's support page indicates a now-deleted version (7B85v1F) on their support so I flashed it. 2600X still works fine.

Inspected 5700X for bent pins, can't see any.
Put 5700X back, back to black screen during boot. Reinstalled bios with the flashback, no changes.
Flashed 7B85v1G again roughly a dozen times because I've read folks mentioning things getting back to normal after half a dozen flashes (which is beyond insane but I'm running out of options), no dice.

If I let Linux boot, do things still work fine ? Yup.

I read that disabling CSM might prevent the RX580 from initializing. I can see that it is enabled when 2600X is in and I can access BIOS.
And if plugging 5700X magically turns it off or changes some other configuration option, I can't see anything since I can't get inside BIOS setup.

C.
So, I read a bunch of stuff about how B450 wasn't really ready for 5xxx series and was an afterthought. I really didn't want to change the mobo but seeing how it works okay with 2600X and not 5700x led me to believe that maybe the mobo was just incompatible. Also, my test cluster often gets bottlenecked by the M.2 drive & doubling the speed with PCIe 4.0 sounded nice.

I didn't want to get an MSI mobo but MSI B550 Tomahawk MAX WIFI was the only available motherboard that had USB ports I wanted and didn't have a buggy ethernet & frequent BSOD issues so I grabbed one from the nearby store.

Reassembled everything, put 5700X in and... nope, exact same issue.
I can't see what the BIOS version was out of the box so I grab the earliest version where 5700X was validated (7C91v20), did the flashback. Made no difference

(And I can't even boot with the B550 but I didn't expect it to do so)

D.
I gave up, reassembled B450 back into the case, plopped in 5700X one last time - nope, still no display.
Put 2600X back, grabbed a new M.2 drive to install a new Linux distro while still on 7B85v1G. Everything just works.

At this point, I can put 5700X back & hope to return the B550... But being unable to open up my BIOS is giving me way too much anxiety. I don't fiddle with it often, but I do occasionally need it whenever I need to boot up from a live usb or change a setting or two. Keeping the 2600X around and switching CPUs just so I can see the BIOS feels so, so wrong.

So,
- Either my particular 5700X is broken in a very unique way but I find it hard to believe given how well it works past the BIOS stage
- MSI BIOSes all have a peculiar issue ?
- RX580 is... too old ? Or incompatible with 5xxx ? Or a combination of all of the above ?

The board and gpu are too old to be RMA'd. The only thing I haven't tried is a new GPU and a mobo from another brand... And spending 400$ on a GPU feels insane for a non-gaming PC. I already have a 3060 mobile gaming laptop and it works fine for occasional gaming and CUDA runs. I'd rather avoid dropping that much money on yet another graphics card.

Maybe a used 1650/1660ti from ebay with 3+ output ports (Nvidia sucks on Linux apparently but I just wanna see what happens - and switching graphics is faster than disassembling the tower fan & re-pasting the CPU, if I decide to give up on fixing the core issue) will do the trick, idk.

Is there anything else I should try ?
the reason you got no display out on the mobo is because your Cpu has no IGPU built in as for anything else to try maybe try updating your GPU bios

System Name AlderLake
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
System Name intel-agence
Processor intel core i7 7700k @ 4.9-Ghz OC
Motherboard Asus ROG Z270 Maximus IX Hero
Cooling 360mm AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB @ 3200-Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX 1080 8GB OC edition
Storage crucial p3 1TB + 4TB hdd
Display(s) AOC 32G2WG3
Power Supply 850 watt
Mouse g502 Hero
Software Win 11 pro 64
Benchmark Scores CINEBENCH R15 ( 1034 pts )

patatempura

I think you were onto something with the GPU BIOS.

Couldn't do it properly on Linux and versions/dates on https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios went all the way back to 2017 so I decided to just try a new GPU. Plugged an RTX 2060 in and everything is now back to normal.

The only relevant bit I can see on MSI B550 Tomahawk MAX WIFI is :
Settings\Advanced\Windows OS Configuration\AMI Graphic Output Protocol Policy
"NVIDIA GPU UEFI Driver"
Maybe plugging 5700X makes MSI disable CSM or some other configuration and the RX580 didn't have a compatible firmware driver or something, idk what really happened.

izy

Hi , i think your GPU bios doesnt have GOP (UEFI) bios.
You can try to update your GPU with a newer bios from techpowerup or you can add GOP to your current vbios , second option can look very complicated but its very easy , i did it few times myself.
Second , your windows was probably installed with CSM on so it wont boot with CSM off. You can try to use an USB with an windows installer on it and try to see if you can boot and reinstall windows with the new CPU.

Edit: some basic information you can find here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/cpu-uefi-mode

Last edited:
System Name Mini efficient rig.
Processor R9 3900, @4ghz -0.05v offset. 110W peak.
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M DS3H, bios f41 pcie 4.0 unlocked.
Cooling some server blower @1500rpm
Memory 2x16GB oem Samsung D-Die. 3200MHz
Video Card(s) RX 6600 Pulse w/conductonaut @65C hotspot
Storage 1x 128gb nvme Samsung 950 Pro - 4x 1tb sata Hitachi 2.5" hdds
Display(s) Samsung C24RG50FQI
Case Jonsbo C2 (almost itx sized)
Audio Device(s) integrated Realtek crap
Power Supply Seasonic SSR-750FX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Redragon K539 brown switches
Software Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 + Windows 10 21H2 LTSC (patched).
Benchmark Scores Cinebench: R15 3050 pts, R20 7000 pts, R23 17800 pts, r2024 1050 pts.
Hi , i think your GPU bios doesnt have GOP (UEFI) bios.
You can try to update your GPU with a newer bios from techpowerup or you can add GOP to your current vbios , second option can look very complicated but its very easy , i did it few times myself.
Second , your windows was probably installed with CSM on so it wont boot with CSM off. You can try to use an USB with an windows installer on it and try to see if you can boot and reinstall windows with the new CPU.

Edit: some basic information you can find here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/cpu-uefi-mode
its an rx 580, they all come with uefi enabled, unless its been tampered with

To the op: "...I did some gaming back in the day until fans started giving out (common issue with Armor from what I could gather - the whole PC shuts down and fans go bananas to cool the system down)..." Sudden black screen + fans ramp up to 100% is not a cooling issue, its usually hardware related issue. Could be vrm problem or something else. You could test it under load (lets say furmark), under windows environment with proper whql drivers, to see if there is any issue). To stress the vram (which could also be the problem) you need 3dmark time spy or any modern game that uses 4gb+ of vram.

Last edited:

izy

its an rx 580, they all come with uefi enabled, unless its been tampered with
Maybe the GOP is too old , i had some issues some time ago with rx 280x or 380 , i think with an rx 580 too and it got it fixed with an GOP update, but probably you can find a newer vbios so you dont have to do it yourself.

"If you are interested in this thread, then you should know a thing or two about GOP. If you need/want pure UEFI Boot (CSM disabled) or Fast Boot, then you need a GOP for your GPU/iGPU"

Link for GOP update: https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/amd-and-nvidia-gop-update-no-requests-diy/30917

Edit: He said he can boot in linux with the new CPU if i didnt got it wrong.