• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

sandvine

Many open source repositories and the internet archive all use torrents as a way to reduce operating costs

Along comes Sandvine which is used by ISPs to disrupt torrents on the assumption it's all illegal. I refer the reader to the above open source, such as Ubuntu and many other distributions.

Sandvine works by illegal surveillance on traffic and then it injects reset packets. Encrypted communications is of no help as Sandvine runs a hidden tracker. So they commit a crime to attack a torrent swarm. Finding sandvine trackers is possible but development of effective countermeasures has been slow.

Meanwhile open source suffers.

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I've got no issues running torrent with my ISP so far, touch wood.

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
I think this a a basis for the issue:
Quoted from a patent listing....US7032023B1
"......The counter/throttle API 724B is configured to monitor the number of times a particular sender 710 has connected to the proxy mail server 724. The counter/throttle API 724B may be configured to increment a counter as new connections are attempted or established and to decrement the counter as existing connections are dropped. In one implementation, the counter/throttle API 724B prevents the establishing of additional connections above a certain threshold number, which may be configurable. In other implementations, the counter/throttle API 724B may prevent connections exceeding a certain threshold from sending mail or may alternatively send information to another entity (e.g., a system manager) concerning connections by or messages from senders that would exceed the threshold number. The counter/throttle API 724B may take rate into consideration by discounting or crediting connection attempts made before a fixed or configureable time has passed, or by judging sender activity based on temporal considerations.
........"

There is a mega shit ton to read about this topic. I started here:

All I know is that today seeds tend to be far afield which suggests that trolls have been intimidating homies for too long.

No surprise that some seeds are found in Russia, Bulgaria and some other malcontent locations. It is eye opening how many seeds there are lurking around in the Ukraine as well.

Disappointed to see so few seeds for open source distributions as well.

Last edited: