• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sandybridge era build - weighing pros cons of new platform versus a GPU upgrade

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
As per system specs that is in fact my current setup ..still

I am acutely aware that CPUs, particularly at 1440p and higher are not something you purchase every year - as the architecture changes are not frequent.
Additionally performance is often marginal and worse, the power draw TDP tends to keep rising

As a result, from a gaming perspective, good CPUs can often be 'competitive' for years

Where I do find that you start to experience draw backs are within the other associated components such as motherboard, memory, storage devices etc.

Often though the biggest upgrade persons experience comes from the GPU. What bothers me about continuously updating the GPU and not the underlying platform is it's similar to putting a super charger on an engine and not improving other components. This is reducing the potential performance of the super charger

I feel it's appropriate to finally look at upgrading the platform for this computer, however knowing where to start is difficult - given that as aforementioned CPU changes don't often bring much in terms of grunt output
Though the rub comes in as mentioned before about the GPU. I am not naive to think that a new CPU and motherboard setup is going to bring the same frame rate jump as a new GPU, though it seems I have to get this done at some point as well as if nothing else, to ensure I am getting full value for the GPU

If budget only allowed a GPU upgrade or a platform upgrade but not both, do I continue down the path of the GPU on top of a weak platform, or finally update th platform and wait on the GPU?

For my requirements :

• Day to day use
  • Gaming
  • Some video watching (movies)

Other considerations: I don't stream, nor do large file transfer frequently however I have notied that my system has a bit of higher than desired latency when doing file transfers or internet downloads/torrents
Particularly when I get past a certain speed on my torrent download, the computer struggles noticeably, with pauses every few seconds until the download ends

In summary, am I better off finally updating teh platform and keeping my 1080TI, or jumping up a GPU
If I do it's likely a 4070 TI. It draws similar power and while I never cared about that before, I think I want to stay keeping it under 300 watts this time around
(I also have to consider that I won't be able to acquire a waterblock for a new GPu for a time, therefore something cool and capable out of the box is desirable)

As for Intel vs AMD I am not fussed
Budget (depends on what I choose, platform or GPU. For the former £500sh, for the latter £600-700sh)

Recommendations welcome

Thank you

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 7800x3D
Motherboard x670e Asus Crosshair Hero
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 2x32 Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Do a platform bump. My overclocked 4790k held back my 1080ti enough to see a difference once I got my 3700x.

Additionally performance is often marginal and worse, the power draw TDP tends to keep rising

Performance is almost never worse and power draw may be true for Intel but even they have 65W chips stilll that thwomp what was available even 2 years ago. AMD has been consistently delivering substantial performance gen over gen at the same or lower power since Zen 2 in 2019, though. Check out some reviews of the Ryzen X3Ds and see just how far things have progressed, then look at power draw numbers.

I think your outlook on the incline of CPU performance is woefully out of date, and it would be a wise idea to look into some modern reviews that show a wide selection of CPU models in your desired games. Even 5 years ago the 2600K with your tier of overclock (4.8-5GHz) was starting to languish at the bottom of the charts when paired with any then-modern high end GPUs, with games running as much as 2.5x faster on the newest chips of the time. And we've made 5 years of progress since.

Upgrade the platform. I love Sandy Bridge as much as the next person, but the sun has set for it for all but the most casual use cases.

System Name ROG
Processor i5-11400F
Motherboard ROG Strix Z490-H Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced
Memory GSkill RipJawsV 32Gb 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) GTX1060 6Gb AERO ITX OC
Storage NVMe WD Black SN750 Samsung EVO 840 SSD and Mechanical TBs...
Display(s) iiyama Black Hawk G-Master GB2745HSU
Case CM HAF-X
Audio Device(s) Yamaha AV Creative DTT2200
Power Supply Corsair RM-1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard MS Sidewinder X6
Software Windows 10/11
Yes i agree with previous post, i had to finally last year to gave up of my Asus M5F (Z77) with a 3770, served me well for a decade, i already knew that there was a visible performance hold.
Off course, due the current SSD market values and available M.2 interface, dropped also the 840 EVO and got a new WD SN750 Black NVMe for the OS.
The platform is the priority here against the 1080Ti, my opinion only, cheers.

System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire PULSE RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
Sandies and Ivies have long served their primary mission, and if you do upgrade now a new platform may serve you just as long. Just make sure then to get then a R9 or i9 to try assuring some longevity.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Great, appreciate it thus far

Performance is almost never worse and power draw may be true for Intel but even they have 65W chips stilll that thwomp what was available even 2 years ago. AMD has been consistently delivering substantial performance gen over gen at the same or lower power since Zen 2 in 2019, though. Check out some reviews of the Ryzen X3Ds and see just how far things have progressed, then look at power draw numbers.

I think your outlook on the incline of CPU performance is woefully out of date, and it would be a wise idea to look into some modern reviews that show a wide selection of CPU models in your desired games. Even 5 years ago the 2600K with your tier of overclock (4.8-5GHz) was starting to languish at the bottom of the charts when paired with any then-modern high end GPUs, with games running as much as 2.5x faster on the newest chips of the time. And we've made 5 years of progress since.

Upgrade the platform. I love Sandy Bridge as much as the next person, but the sun has set for it for all but the most casual use cases.

Did something happen between 2019 and recently, as there are plenty of articles about 'whether to upgrade Sanybridge' as last as 2019 and find that in gaming scenarios and average use, there was very marginal benefit in a CPU change(and I presume platform change as that would be required due to the sockets)
Any reports or illustrations you could share to support your point about a performance increase, particularly a noticeable one? I struggle to find modern benchmarks that include the 2600k or anything from that era that might be of similar performance

Curious though should that be accurate, then about performance budget value options in terms of a previous generation or models
I am also OK with buying used.

Just mindful that CPU and motherboard costs are a bit silly in some places compared to how they used to be(granted not like the GPUs).

Thinking someone is about to drop a PartsPicker link, because people love to do that

Last edited:
Curious though then about performance budget value options in terms of a previous generation or models

Depends on the budget I suppose, but even the lowliest i3-12100F put up fantastic numbers against older chips with the same core configuration (4c/8t). The i5-13400F is to my eye the current budget performance champion (though occupies what may be considered more of an "enthusiast" price point), check out TPU's review of it to get an idea of the power efficiency it has as well. On average it should be well over 3x faster than a 2600K and uses equal or less power.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 7800x3D
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Great, appreciate it thus far

Did something happen between 2019 and recently, as there are plenty of articles about 'whether to upgrade Sanybridge' as last as 2019 and find that in gaming scenarios and average use, there was very marginal benefit in a CPU change(and I presume platform change as that would be required due to the sockets)
Any reports or illustrations you could share to support your point about a performance increase, particularly a noticeable one?

Curious though should that be accurate, then about performance budget value options in terms of a previous generation or models
I am also OK with buying used.

Just mindful that CPU and motherboard costs are a bit silly in some places compared to how they used to be(granted not like the GPUs).

Thinking someone is about to drop a PartsPicker link, because people love to do that
There has been pretty big jumps in gaming performance, and daily usage performance coming off Sandy. I've got an i5 2400 on the shelf and it really can't hold a candle to say, an i5 6500/7500 that I've used and built for other people.

First gen Ryzen was comparable to Haswell/Broadwell in single threaded performance, so that might be what you saw.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
Sandy Bridge is out of date by now. You should look at something with at least 6 cores 12 threads, preferably 8/16 if you can afford it, to maximise the years you get out of it. If your budget is limited enough that you can only afford GPU or other upgrades, I would get CPU/Motherboard/ram first, NVMe ssd second, and then look at a new GPU. The 1080ti have more juice left than an i7 2600K.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Depends on the budget I suppose, but even the lowliest i3-12100F put up fantastic numbers against older chips with the same core configuration (4c/8t). The i5-13400F is to my eye the current budget performance champion (though occupies what may be considered more of an "enthusiast" price point), check out TPU's review of it to get an idea of the power efficiency it has as well. On average it should be well over 3x faster than a 2600K and uses equal or less power.
Thanks

note : Updated my post above after your reply I believe

What do you mean by 3x faster? I think we have to remember the CPU isn't what's (solely) affecting the framerate especially at higher resolutions
The only way I know how to see raw CPU performance in numbers is via those synthetic tests and for things such as file transfer rates, throughput, latency tests etc.

But how that translates to gaming..

There has been pretty big jumps in gaming performance, and daily usage performance coming off Sandy. I've got an i5 2400 on the shelf and it really can't hold a candle to say, an i5 6500/7500 that I've used and built for other people.

First gen Ryzen was comparable to Haswell/Broadwell in single threaded performance, so that might be what you saw.
Possibly though as mentioned in prior post I find it difficult to see modern benchmarks/articles that list the 2600ks or Sandybridge in the testing

As for performance as mentioned to Fouquin,for enough years it was clear that updating the CPU wasn't making much difference in gaming and that has prevailed late into the 2010s
So what happened in the past several years that change that? Did I miss some architectural jump?

Ya going to have to look at Ryzen again, but also will check out that 13400f recommendation

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 7800x3D
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Thanks

What do you mean by 3x faster? I think we have to remember the CPU isn't what's (solely) affecting the framerate especially at higher resolutions
The only way I know how to see raw CPU performance in numbers is via those synthetic tests and for things such as file transfer rates, throughput, latency tests etc.

Possibly though as mentioned in prior post I find it difficult to see modern benchmarks/articles that list the 2600ks or Sandybridge in the testing

As for performance as mentioned to Fouquin,for enough years it was clear that updating the CPU wasn't making much difference in gaming and that has prevailed late into the 2010s
So what happened in the past several years that change that? Did I miss some architectural jump?

Ya going to have to look at Ryzen again, but also will check out that 13400f recommendation
AMD came out with good stuff and got Intel off their @sses to actually do something. FX chips were too far behind to scare Intel, which same era as your 2700k.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
The 1080 Ti is still a bloody fine card. I'd do the platform upgrade.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Thanks

Well, games these days are moving towards 6 core/12 thread. Regardless of how well a quad core can run, you'll see major performance degradation going forward. Your memory bus is also affected by your CPU, and sandy's DDR3 bus is not very impressive today.

If you compare your sandy bridge to something modern on a current day game test, you'll be surprised. I remember, back in 2019 gamer nexus found the 2500k could barely manage 60 FPS even with an overclock in newer software. That was 4 years ago.

Consoles moved to 8 cores in 2013. They have since upgraded to 8 much faster cores with the PS5/series x. Sandy bridge could cope with having fewer threads by virtue of having much better perf/core then the consoles. Now the consoles not only have 8 cores but they are zen 2, which is notably faster then sandy was.
13100 and 13400 make way more sense for budget builds, and given how long CPUs last I doubt the extra money spent on AMD would matter. Occasionally you will find non Fs cheaper then Fs.

I mean 3x faster in general, but still not far off in games. Improvements to core count, core architecture, cache design, cache amount, IMC, included fixed function accelerators, improved instructions, MORE instructions, better code using more cores/threads, better use of core features and instructions... The list is long. You called out 1440p which is still affected by pure CPU performance. Again, reference that 13400F review where you can see some chips from 2018/2019 with more cores than your 2600K are still being outperformed by 2x at that resolution when paired with a modern GPU. Will you experience such a drastic increase while still running the 1080 Ti? No, probably not. But I expect you will see a noticeable improvement in smoothness and sustainable performance regardless.

Intel got stuck on Skylake and 14nm for 5 full years, where the only changes to performance were from directly increasing clock rates. Skylake (2015) was not a huge jump over Sandy Bridge at the same clocks, roughly 15% on its best day, and since the underlying architecture remained largely unchanged there were no dramatically improved instructions that came about. So I understand why you have the outlook you do, but like I said it's outdated.

Crash course on recent advancements: AMD released Zen 2 which just barely eclipsed Skylake, then Zen 3 which further exceeded Zen 2/Skylake by 5-10%, then Zen 3 with 3D V-Cache which exceeds regular Zen 3 by nearly 20%, then Zen 4 which is a smaller 5-10% bump but with a larger 10-15% clock increase, and now finally Zen 4 with 3D V-Cache which steps back in clocks but can deliver yet another 5-15% more performance in games. Intel released Rocket Lake which eclipsed Skylake by 5-15%, then Alder Lake which again eclipsed Rocket Lake by 5-15%. Both companies all the while have dramatically increased operating clocks with each architectural step, AMD going from ~4.1GHz peak turbo up to 5.3GHz or beyond, and Intel going from 5.1GHz to now 6GHz. So in a short ~4 year window average architectural performance is up a minimum of 35%, core clocks are up another 25%, and other overall improvements compound to this period of time being some of the fastest advancement in raw CPU performance since the 2006-2011 era that delivered you the i7-2600K you currently use.

System Name Aldersaur
Processor i5-12600KF with -0.07v
Motherboard ASUS TUF B660-plus wifi D4
Cooling Thermalright Burst Assassin equipped with Arctic P12 Max
Memory 2x16gb V-COLOR PRISM PRO RGB (Hynix-CJR) 4133mhz 18-25-25-43-1N-Gear1 @1.5v
Video Card(s) Gigacrap Eagle RTX 3070 ( with 8GB of buyers remorse )
Storage NVMe PNY CS3140 gen4 1tb, 240gb & 1 tb SATA ssd & 2tb HDD
Display(s) ASUS 1080p with 144hz
Case Azza hurrican from 2011(lol)
Audio Device(s) still good ol' ALC897/2/4? Realtek
Power Supply Fractal Ion 750W 80+ Gold - Fully Modular
Mouse CM MM730 hitam
Keyboard Gamen shit with partial Kailh box jade/navy/white/orange swap
VR HMD what is this?
Software still on windows 10
Benchmark Scores I am satisfied.
my older build is i5 2500k, so its even worse than OPs build. but i really2 dont regret jumping to i3-12100. the 1% low in some games is like 3-4 times* better than my old i5. and that was me pairing that with 1070! so yeah please upgrade the platform.
2600k with 4070 ti is like, idk, the kind of flex which dont really impress anyone. i mean 20-40$ CPU with 800$ GPU?

*(note:based on my feeling)

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Generic PS/2
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
You definitely should upgrade from Sandy Bridge. Get yourself either a 13th gen Core i5 or an equivalent Ryzen, a nice 32 GB RAM kit and the bottleneck will turn into the GPU instead. You will probably get more frames than you currently do with the 1080 Ti as is, but will also be ready for a GPU upgrade in the future.

Also, always nice to see older members of the forum return :toast:

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Reading through stuff now, will give it a better review later

my older build is i5 2500k, so its even worse than OPs build. but i really2 dont regret jumping to i3-12100. the 1% low in some games is like 3-4 times* better than my old i5. and that was me pairing that with 1070! so yeah please upgrade the platform.
2600k with 4070 ti is like, idk, the kind of flex which dont really impress anyone. i mean 20-40$ CPU with 800$ GPU?

*(note:based on my feeling)
I understand what you are saying and that is my concern as well
At what point do I stop throwing 2,000 rims on a car worth 400 so to speak

I think I will make the effort to platform upgrade, just have to get my ducks in a row
Decide
  • Which motherboard/CPU combination
  • RAM (oh boy, gotta go figure out what I should be using versus what is reasonable cost)
  • Possible move to PCI E SSD (?)

Should I be worrying about K series Intel chips, I read your summary Fouquin thanks though didn't see mention about F, vs K vs X and others

Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Software Windows 11 Pro
Should I be worrying about K series Intel chips, I read your summary Fouquin thanks though didn't see mention about F, vs K vs X and others
K-suffix are overclockable, with unlocked multipliers when using a Z series chipset. May also carry an S suffix (KS) for especially binned models.
F-suffix means no integrated graphics (not exclusive with K suffix - KF models).
X-suffix was for HEDT, and it's been some generations since the last model (10980XE).

System Name "Icy Resurrection"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX ENCORE
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S upgraded with 2x NF-F12 iPPC-3000 fans and Honeywell PTM7950 TIM
Memory 32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 7600 MT/s 36-44-44-52-96 1.4V
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 500 GB WD Black SN750 SE NVMe SSD + 4 TB WD Red Plus WD40EFPX HDD
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Pichau Mancer CV500 White Edition
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Classic Intellimouse
Keyboard Generic PS/2
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores I pulled a Qiqi~
The Intel Extreme series have been effectively replaced by the KS lineup. I've purchased a 13900KS (current team blue flagship) and received it recently, it's a beast of a CPU and I upgraded from the previous-generation Ryzen 16-core processor. Coming from the 2600K, you'll be mesmerized by these new chips' performance.

Buying an NVMe SSD is a must nowadays - they are not expensive and perform orders of magnitude faster than the traditional SATA SSD, even the cheapest options such as the WD Green line exceed SATA drives by a factor of 5-6, this is very very worth it.

As for the RAM, the sweet spot is universally recognized to be DDR5-6000. This is for both Intel (general board compatibility) or AMD (reasonable CPU memory controller limit), although you won't be missing much on anything else.

Do you have a budget in general? We could make you a pcpartpicker list :toast:

System Name Yes
Processor E5-2690 v4
Motherboard VEINEDA X99
Video Card(s) 2080 Ti
Storage NE-512 KingSpec
Display(s) G27Q
Case DAOTECH X9
Power Supply SF450
My 3.2ghz 14 core Xeon or the equivalent of 4.0ghx Sandy's IPC is limiting even a GTX 760 to 100Fps at 720p, but at $50 plus another 50 for motherboard with h81 chipset is unbeatable, save your money for new intel when they get into the 1nm era.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
The Intel Extreme series have been effectively replaced by the KS lineup. I've purchased a 13900KS (current team blue flagship) and received it recently, it's a beast of a CPU and I upgraded from the previous-generation Ryzen 16-core processor. Coming from the 2600K, you'll be mesmerized by these new chips' performance.

Buying an NVMe SSD is a must nowadays - they are not expensive and perform orders of magnitude faster than the traditional SATA SSD, even the cheapest options such as the WD Green line exceed SATA drives by a factor of 5-6, this is very very worth it.

As for the RAM, the sweet spot is universally recognized to be DDR5-6000. This is for both Intel (general board compatibility) or AMD (reasonable CPU memory controller limit), although you won't be missing much on anything else.

Do you have a budget in general? We could make you a pcpartpicker list :toast:
Ya I have some NVME SSD already around here though it was about whether to use a PCI E version. I cannot remember how to describe them NVME or M.2 or... I thought some go into M.2 slots and others into PCI E
I also dubious about whether SSD in a PCI E slot takes any bandwidth from the GPU(or other components)
Saw this on TPU's review of the 13400F
"Only PCIe x8 graphics when Gen 5 M.2 slot in-use"

As for budget, around £500-600 Sterling, give or take

Speaking ofpartpicker, I noticed the 12400F is on discount(?) currently vs 13400F
Any reason to avoid that one in favor of the latter?
For seventy or so more I can go with 13600k

And I cannot find any DDR 5 capable motherboards..?
1682440375034.png

I know Z690 can do them though they only show Z690 DDR4 capable products
My 3.2ghz 14 core Xeon or the equivalent of 4.0ghx Sandy's IPC is limiting even a GTX 760 to 100Fps at 720p, but at $50 plus another 50 for motherboard with h81 chipset is unbeatable, save your money for new intel when they get into the 1nm era.
I almost felt like this was in part a tongue in cheek comment about waiting for 1nm!

Last edited:
Software Windows 11 Pro
Speaking ofpartpicker, I noticed the 12400F is on discount(?) currently vs 13400F
Any reason to avoid that one in favor of the latter?
For seventy or so more I can go with 13600k
12400F has no E-cores, it is a 6 P-cores/12 threads cpu. 13400F has 4 E-cores (same as a 12600K, sans unlocked multiplier), so it is 6P+4E/16T.
13600K goes even beyond, it's 6P+8E/20T and it has unlocked multiplier. It does get a bit toasty though. If the 13600 non-K is available a little cheaper it may be a nicer option with the same 6P+8E and a lower power draw.

Last edited:
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
12400F has no E-cores, it is a 6 P-cores/12 threads cpu. 13400F has 4 E-cores (same as a 12600K, sans unlocked multiplier), so it is 6P+4E/16T.
13600K goes even beyond, it's 6P+8E/20T and it has unlocked multiplier. It does get a bit toasty though. If the 13600 non-K is available a little cheaper it may be a nicer option with the same 6P+8E and a lower power draw.
Only seeing 13600k for sale

Software Windows 11 Pro
Only seeing 13600k for sale
Well, the 13600 is listed on Intel Ark as launched Q1'23 but not even US websites have them listed for sale. Paper launch at its finest.
Is the 13500 available for you? Also 6P+8E/20T, just lower clocks.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Well, the 13600 is listed on Intel Ark as launched Q1'23 but not even US websites have them listed for sale. Paper launch at its finest.
Is the 13500 available for you? Also 6P+8E/20T, just lower clocks.
Checking...

Ya we have 13500 for about sixty less than 13600k and twenty more than 13400
( I think I'd prefer non F's so there's some graphics option if my card dies /stops working)

Though I could not see 13500's performance,am I over looking it here?
1682443110110.png

If going with 13600k
I landed on this
Goes over budget, might be skimping on the quality of the motherboard and RAM?
I looked at Wizzard's DDR5 round up and I saw less than five frames between 4800 and 6000 (and am assuming I could overclock the RAM if needed). Think I'd be more worried about the motherboard quality at that low end. I almost considered micro ATX to cut costs