• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Screen started to go on and off for a split second.

Hasaryo

About 2 months ago, 1 week after I bought the system I bought about 1 month ago, the screen started to go on and off for a split second. To explain, my monitor turns off and on for a split second. This problem sometimes repeats every 2 weeks, sometimes 3 times a day. It doesn't happen every time I turn it on or after a certain period of time. My video card lights are on as far as I can see through the glass of the case when the screen goes out. I don't think it's the monitor because I was using the previous system on this monitor. Here are the solutions I have tried so far:

1. I changed the HDMI cable.
  2. I did a BIOS update.
  3. I disconnected and reconnected the GPU and PCI power cable.
  4. I updated the GPU driver.
  5. I stress tested the system, no problem even though the temperatures rose during the test, the problem recurs whether the system is hot or cold.
  6. My monitor does not have DP input, I bought a DP - HDMI cable today and I will try it soon.
  7. I changed the pci16 option from auto to gen4 in bios settings.
  8. I made the output color format ycbcr422 from the nvidia control panel among the options I read here before.
Thank you for your help in advance.

I forgot to mention that I connected my speaker to the monitor's audio output. I get it from the video card via HDMI and from the monitor, and when the screen went off for a split second, the sound went on and off. Maybe there is a problem with the video card HDMI output, but the card is a new card.

System specs;

RYZEN 5 5600, ASUS PRIME B550-M K, GALAX RTX 4060 Ti, FSP Hyper Pro 650W 80+, HyperX Beast 2x8 GB DDR4 RAM

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Different monitor

System Name Locutus TT P90 open air case
Processor Intel I7 12700K
Motherboard Asus Z690 WIFI D4
Cooling NZXT 280 mm AIO
Memory 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600 DDR4
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 Holo LHR
Storage 3 various branded SSDs and 6 TB Seagate HD
Display(s) LG 32'' g-sync 144 Hz VA IPS
Case P90 open air case
Power Supply EVGA G2 1 KW
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 11 Pro

Had similar issue, I did every swap of HW possible and software uninstalls it came down to the Cablemod custom PCI-E 6 pin cable breaking contact upon thermal expansion, when I used the supplied EVGA cable it solved the random boot and shutdown issues. Find another cable and try it. I do custom PC builds for a living. The reboots and issues were totally random even occurred when making a new boot SSD or when gaming. See my pic the white cables to the GPU were the issue.

Mine would as crash in BIOS or idle desktop, I figured it out after seeing a customer touch his six pin PCI cable and it caused his build to reboot also. Cable mod are nice aesthetically but are flimsy in their lightweight design. The ATX pins wobble inside the Cablemod male connector resulting in a broken connection which will cause the GPU to lose power and reboot the PC. Have not had a 41 error or power reboot error in 2 yrs since replacing .

Hasaryo

Had similar issue, I did every swap of HW possible and software uninstalls it came down to the Cablemod custom PCI-E 6 pin cable breaking contact upon thermal expansion, when I used the supplied EVGA cable it solved the random boot and shutdown issues. Find another cable and try it. I do custom PC builds for a living. The reboots and issues were totally random even occurred when making a new boot SSD or when gaming. See my pic the white cables to the GPU were the issue.

Mine would as crash in BIOS or idle desktop, I figured it out after seeing a customer touch his six pin PCI cable and it caused his build to reboot also. Cable mod are nice aesthetically but are flimsy in their lightweight design. The ATX pins wobble inside the Cablemod male connector resulting in a broken connection which will cause the GPU to lose power and reboot the PC. Have not had a 41 error or power reboot error in 2 yrs since replacing .
thank you for your reply. i plugged it into a second pci cable that was in the psu but my problem persisted. by the way, there is no reboot shutdown problem when the screen goes off on my computer, even the gpu lights continue to light up. i will try with a new monitor soon. i hope the problem is with the monitor.

Cooling NZXT 280 mm AIO
Case P90 open air case
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 11 Pro
Do you get a warning in the windows event viewer?

Hasaryo

only 1 kernel power 41 (63) but it might be because I recently turned off my pc from the power button because my computer froze.

Cooling NZXT 280 mm AIO
Case P90 open air case
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 11 Pro
Mine would go black screen and reboot with this error randomly, came down to pci cable to GPU. Contact your PSU maker to see if new cables are compatible.

Last edited:
System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage Boot: Intel OPTANE SSD P1600X Series 118GB M.2 PCIE
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply EVGA 500W1 (modified to have two bridge rectifiers)
Software Windows 11 Home
Just had an issue with the display port; a little silicone oil on the connector seems to have fixed that issue.