• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[SOLVED] Router to replace my current modem-router

Hey everyone,

I'll begin by saying that I am very proficient with computers, but I am VERY clueless when it comes to networking. You'll have to excuse me for my ignorance.

To make a long story short - my current modem-router is very bad.
During team meetings the conversation constantly drops, the WiFi stops working every other day and it takes forever to restart it.
It is the basic model which I've received from my ISP. Horrible.

Unfortunately - I can't completely replace this modem-router because my internet provider uses a coaxial cable which I cannot find in other modem-router models.

1) I was told that by disabling the router-part (enabling Bride Mode) and connecting an external router - I could solve most (if not all) of my problems.
Is there truth to this? Why would disabling the router on my current modem-router and connecting a different router to it make a difference?

2) If number 1 is in fact true, which model should I get?
Since I am not planning on replacing the purchased model anytime soon, money is no issue. I'll take what is best and what will serve me for years to come.
There's currently a sale on the Asus RT-AX88U. Is it a good model?

Thank you :)

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
Motherboard ASUS w790E Sage SE
Cooling SilverStone XE360-4677
Memory 128gb Gskill Zeta R5 DDR5 RDIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 2TB WD SN850X | 2x 8TB GAMMIX S70
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case Thermaltake Core P3 Pro Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 Pro Workstation
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
1) I was told that by disabling the router-part by enabling Bride Mode and connecting an external router - I could solve most (if not all) of my problems.
Is there truth to this? Why would disabling the router on my current modem-router and connecting a different router to it make a difference?

There is truth to this. The reason being (and the second part of your question) is because the modem is acting as a EoC adapter. After it translates the signal, it passes it off to the router portion using an internal network bridge.

The Actual conversion is very simple. Most of the "hard" network stuff is happening on the router side.

Bridge mode is as simple as calling your ISP and telling them you want it in bridge mode.

As for #2. It depends. How are you using it? Are you using wifi? is everything on ethernet? Do you have or do you need a switch? #2 requires us to know more about YOUR usage than your ISP issues.

Bridge mode is as simple as calling your ISP and telling them you want it in bridge mode.

As for #2. It depends. How are you using it? Are you using wifi? is everything on ethernet? Do you have or do you need a switch? #2 requires us to know more about YOUR usage than your ISP issues.

Hey Solaris, thank you for the fast reply!
Thank you for making it clear. Makes me happy that I have ways to solve this :)

Regarding Bridge Mode - I actually found this option in my settings page (192.168.1.1):
1586714096151.png

Assuming this is what I am looking for and this is all I need to do, right?

Regarding my usages, I actually have a lot of devices that are being used simultaneously.

1) PC - Ethernet cable.
2) PC - WiFi
3) PC - Ethernet Cable to a Powerline Adapter (running through the house's electricity system) from my router's location to the PC's location
4) Work laptop - sometimes using an Ethernet cable, sometimes using WiFi
5) Laptop - WiFi
6) x3 Mobile Devices - WiFi

I mostly game on my PC, the rest of the house mostly streams Netflix / Hulu / YouTube, etc...

I cannot answer whether I need a switch or not, as I am not very familiar with networking equipment :confused:

System Name Ryzen3950X
Processor AMD Ryzen 3950X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H100x
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 4x8Gb 3200Mhz 14-14-14-31 :: testing Team 4133Mhz 18-18-18-38
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX-2070
Storage Samsung 960 250Gb M.2 plus a buttload of spinners
Display(s) Dell U2718Q 4K HDR
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Couple of speakers
Power Supply Seasonic 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Ergo trackball
Keyboard Velocifier wireless mechanical
Software Arch kernel 5.4.17-1-MANJARO
Benchmark Scores Cinebench 20: 9316 / 511
I had excellent service for years when my internet was provided by cable, by replacing your service provider's unit with a Motorola MG7550.

Google some reviews. An *excellent* choice if you don't need/want WiFi 6

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Unfortunately - I can't completely replace this modem-router because my internet provider uses a coaxial cable which I cannot find in other modem-router models.
Not sure why you can't find other options. There are many to choose from. Note that devices that integrate the cable modem and the router into one box are often called "residential gateways". And for the record, all cable broadband modems use coaxial cable, where DSL modems use phone lines.

I recommend you visit your ISP's website. They should provide a list of compatible devices. Then buy one from Amazon, Bestbuy, etc. And remember, you do NOT have to go with an integrated cable modem/router (residential gateway). You can always just buy a modem like the Arris SB8200 then buy a separate wireless router. Buying your own cost more in the beginning, but typically pays off in a year or two since you won't have to pay rental fees. And going with separate devices is the way to go IMO - for several reasons all related to more options and flexibility for you.

I always buy my own and I always buy separates.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
VR HMD Quest 3
Hey Solaris, thank you for the fast reply!
Thank you for making it clear. Makes me happy that I have ways to solve this :)

Regarding Bridge Mode - I actually found this option in my settings page (192.168.1.1):
View attachment 151264

Assuming this is what I am looking for and this is all I need to do, right?

Regarding my usages, I actually have a lot of devices that are being used simultaneously.

1) PC - Ethernet cable.
2) PC - WiFi
3) PC - Ethernet Cable to a Powerline Adapter (running through the house's electricity system) from my router's location to the PC's location
4) Work laptop - sometimes using an Ethernet cable, sometimes using WiFi
5) Laptop - WiFi
6) x3 Mobile Devices - WiFi

I mostly game on my PC, the rest of the house mostly streams Netflix / Hulu / YouTube, etc...

I cannot answer whether I need a switch or not, as I am not very familiar with networking equipment :confused:

That looks like the setting to me. I would give it a try. But see @Bill_Bright response below. Thats pretty much exactly what I would recommend.

Not sure why you can't find other options. There are many to choose from. Note that devices that integrate the cable modem and the router into one box are often called "residential gateways". And for the record, all cable broadband modems use coaxial cable, where DSL modems use phone lines.

I recommend you visit your ISP's website. They should provide a list of compatible devices. Then buy one from Amazon, Bestbuy, etc. And remember, you do NOT have to go with an integrated cable modem/router (residential gateway). You can always just buy a modem like the Arris SB8200 then buy a separate wireless router. Buying your own cost more in the beginning, but typically pays off in a year or two since you won't have to pay rental fees. And going with separate devices is the way to go IMO - for several reasons all related to more options and flexibility for you.

This. If switching your existing modem into bridge mode still causes issues after you have used your own router then get a separate modem. There are tons and tons and tons to choose from both modem and router wise and it will take up pages of forum arguments with no real end solution, if you choose to go down that rabbit hole.

Suffice to say the above is perfectly reasonable and in fact is pretty much the modem id have recommended.

I had excellent service for years when my internet was provided by cable, by replacing your service provider's unit with a Motorola MG7550.

Google some reviews. An *excellent* choice if you don't need/want WiFi 6

Thanks for that, I'll have a look!

That looks like the setting to me. I would give it a try. But see @Bill_Bright response below. Thats pretty much exactly what I would recommend.

This. If switching your existing modem into bridge mode still causes issues after you have used your own router then get a separate modem. There are tons and tons and tons to choose from both modem and router wise and it will take up pages of forum arguments with no real end solution, if you choose to go down that rabbit hole.

Suffice to say the above is perfectly reasonable and in fact is pretty much the modem id have recommended.

Thank for the assistance fellas.

I am from Israel, they are not being sold here unfortunately.
The modem you've linked from Amazon does not ship to Israel as well :(

My ISP does not specify which modems they support on their website and to be honest they are extreme douches when you want to buy your own.
From what I've read - they simply refuse to associate your new hardware in their systems. It's illegal, but they do that.
I don't want to purchase a few hundred dollars worth of equipment and then get stuck with it.

Regarding the options you've mentioned, residential gateways vs. separate modem and separate router - I am no hardcore networking guy,
so to say I won't be using anything besides plugging it and letting the internet flow is probably true.
I'd prefer a residential gateway simply for aesthetics. I probably won't maximize the full potential of buying a separate modem and router.

Considering all of this, does this change the way you believe I should act, or do you still recommend I go the modem + router option?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yes, just put your current ISP gateway into bridge mode and then use your own equipment to handle your internal network. You can probably find another residential gateway with an integrated cable modem, but they are all pretty junk compared to what you can get with a separate router. Switching the ISP gateway into bridge mode should turn it into a essentially a modem, and it should assign one device plugged into(usually) ethernet port1 a public IP address.

AS for what router to get, I'd personally build a pfSense machine and add an external network switch and access point.

AS for what router to get, I'd personally build a pfSense machine and add an external network switch and access point.

Well this sounds... Technical. Too technical for me.
I'm more of a plug-and-play when it comes to this :p

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
Hey everyone,

I'll begin by saying that I am very proficient with computers, but I am VERY clueless when it comes to networking. You'll have to excuse me for my ignorance.

To make a long story short - my current modem-router is very bad.
During team meetings the conversation constantly drops, the WiFi stops working every other day and it takes forever to restart it.
It is the basic model which I've received from my ISP. Horrible.

1) I was told that by disabling the router-part (enabling Bride Mode) and connecting an external router - I could solve most (if not all) of my problems.

2) If number 1 is in fact true, which model should I get?
Since I am not planning on replacing the purchased model anytime soon, money is no issue. I'll take what is best and what will serve me for years to come.
There's currently a sale on the Asus RT-AX88U. Is it a good model?

Thank you :)

Bridging won't help it can even make it worse, you are adding one more point of failure.
You need a better modem and a better router.
But if the connection from the service provider is not stable none of the above will mater.
I assume you are using something like Pulse Secure VPN that needs stable Internet more than speed whre dropping packets can greatly affect the VPN connection.
PS hope you don't have Comcast.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The modem you've linked from Amazon does not ship to Israel as well
It was a suggestion but more just to illustrate they sell modems (and wireless routers) separately.

If your ISP does not let you use your own, then they should still offer you options to rent.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
VR HMD Quest 3
Just get a router with wifi and put your modem in bridge mode.

You can get a better router later, after you have tested it a bit.

It was a suggestion but more just to illustrate they sell modems (and wireless routers) separately.

If your ISP does not let you use your own, then they should still offer you options to rent.
They do, I have one now, but it is pure garbage. Everything that they offer.

Just get a router with wifi and put your modem in bridge mode.

You can get a better router later, after you have tested it a bit.
Guess that's what I'll do. I'll get a cheap router from a friend and try to do this.
Any recommendations for a router that is worth buying, though?

TP-LINK, NETGEAR & ASUS is mostly what is being sold in my country.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
VR HMD Quest 3
If you can just give us a list of models you are able to buy within your price range and we can probably pick it out for you.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
They do, I have one now, but it is pure garbage. Everything that they offer.
That's too bad. But as Solaris suggested you could still use their modem and get your own wireless router. And should you move or a competing ISP comes around, you can use the new wireless router with whatever modem they offer.

If you can just give us a list of models you are able to buy within your price range and we can probably pick it out for you.
Well as I've mentioned, money is not an issue since I plan on keeping this for a long time - 10 years at the very least.
I'll just buy whatever you believe is best and that will serve me for the longest time :)

This is some of what is currently being sold and I'm willing to buy, if it justifies it.
You can pretty much ignore the prices, they are probably much much higher than what you're expecting since it's a lot more expensive here in Israel.
I believe I can get any of these for cheaper from Amazon / during sales.

Nighthawk AX8 - 530$
Asus RT-AX88U - 360$ (on sale now for the next 1:30 hours)
Linksys EA9500 - 417$
NETGEAR XR500 - 416$
NETGEAR X6 - 304$ (on sale)
Asus RT-AC86U - 255$ (on sale)
Linksys WRT3200ACM - 292$

And the list goes on and on.. You may take a look at this site:

It is in Hebrew when you enter it, but you can click the USA flag to convert it to English
1586721028970.png

That's too bad. But as Solaris suggested you could still use their modem and get your own wireless router. And should you move or a competing ISP comes around, you can use the new wireless router with whatever modem they offer.

I'd appreciate your input on this as well :)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
VR HMD Quest 3
Honestly, I would never pay anywhere close to that for a consumer router.

With that said, I understand your looking for simple.

In which case the RT-AC86U is probably; honestly your best bet.

You are in no way shape or form going to notice or benefit from the features the others provide with your current network utilization.

Honestly, I would never pay anywhere close to that for a consumer router.

With that said, I understand your looking for simple.

In which case the RT-AC86U is probably; honestly your best bet.

You are in no way shape or form going to notice or benefit from the features the others provide with your current network utilization.
If anything cheap would fit, then perhaps I can go cheaper?

The D-LINK DIR-882, for example. 139$
TP-Link Archer A9 - 149$
TP-Link Archer C9 -164$

Are these good enough, or is the RT-AC86U still worth the added cost?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name RogueOne
Processor Xeon W9-3495x
VR HMD Quest 3
I'm not a huge fan of either dlink or tp-link but I've only used their enterprise gear, which is generally done by different departments.

I would still get the RT-AC86U since many here have good experiences with asus routers. Its also something you can grow to utilize if you ever get bitten by the network bug.

I'm not a huge fan of either dlink or tp-link but I've only used their enterprise gear, which is generally done by different departments.

I would still get the RT-AC86U since many here have good experiences with asus routers. Its also something you can grow to utilize if you ever get bitten by the network bug.

Works for me.
I actually ordered the AX88U since I got it for nearly the same price as the AC86U.
Looking (purely) at the specifications, the AX88U appears to be better than the AC86U and they cost me nearly the same (30$ difference).

I can still cancel my order and order the AC86U if you believe I made a mistake - but if not, I think that about solves my problem.
Thank you very much for all of your help!! :)

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
If your Internet provider is HOT, you can acquire DOCSIS3 cable modem-router and be done with it.

But first make sure its the router to blame... HOT's cable infrastructure is known for not being stable.

Last edited:

After thinking about it, I think it's best I go with a separate modem and router setup so that I am not bound to HOT.
I'll be able to move to any company I want that way.

Thanks for the recommendation, though. I've learned something new :)