• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sound Card and PCI Slot problem

System Name ASUSTek Computer Inc.
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 945
Motherboard ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3
Memory 2x4 GB DDR3 Kingston
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 7790, 1 GB GDDR5, 128-bit
Storage Western Digital 500 GB SATA3
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 793DF 17 inch CRT
Case Delux DLC-MG760 450W Silver/black
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio SB0570 + Genius SW-5.1 Home Theater
Power Supply Enermax NAXN 450W
Mouse Genius, Black
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Version 2003, Service Pack 2
I had since 2005 a 5.1 sound card called CMI8738 and it worked OK with my 5.1 system, which is exactly like this one:

genius 5.1.jpeg

but last week the speakers started making weird noises, even when I moved the scroll from my mouse. I thought my sound card has malfunctioned, so I took it out from my PC and I used the onboard sound card until yesterday. The weird noises disappeared, which confirmed my suspicion that the CMI sound card had indeed malfunctioned.

Nevertheless, this onboard audio (it's VIA) doesn't sound as good as my previous one, the sound is not as clean and nice and etc, and on internet YouTube only plays on the frontal satellites.

So I just bought another one (second-hand, of course), today it arrived, it is a Creative Audigy SB0570, I inserted it into the PCI slot, I uninstalled the drivers for the onboard sound card, I restarted the PC, I entered the BIOS and I disabled the onboard audio, then I installed the drivers for this new card, and although according to the settings everything looks OK, have a look:

111.png

only 2 satellites are working, a frontal one and a rear one. The rest of them don't, neither does the subwoofer.

I selected 5.1 in Control Panel too, but the problem persists:

222.png

Besides, it keeps telling me that I have a new hardware, look:

333.png

And in Device Manager it shows there are some problems with the PCI slot:

444.png

I didn't know what to do anymore, so I started switching the jacks in the sound card, but it didn't solve my problem. Right now I set them normally, that means black is in the black, green is in the green, and orange is in the orange.

Then I went again in the BIOS and I enabled the onboard audio, thinking it might help with the PCI problem, but it didn't.

Please help me make this Creative Audigy sound card work properly!

I use Windows XP 32-bit Service Pack 2.

Attachments

• 111.png
    111.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 308

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Pull the card, clean pci slot on mobo and the pci blade on the card.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 3
Software Win 11 Pro x64
Try the Audigy drivers from Daniel K

Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio SB0570 + Genius SW-5.1 Home Theater
Mouse Genius, Black
Keyboard Dell
OK, here is what I've done: I reinstalled my Windows XP and I installed again the drivers of the card, then I played a bit with the settings, and I went to EAX Settings, where I noticed that if I check "Enable CMSS 3D Surround" and I choose "Stereo Surround" then all the speakers sound OK:

zzz1.png

If I choose CMSS instead of Stereo Surround, then they don't work OK.

And then, if I go to Speaker Settings and to the tab Bass Management and I raise the volume to the max for both Subwoofer Volume and Bass Redirection, then my subwoofer sounds pretty OK:

zzz2.png

But strangely, the Bass Boost tab doesn't work:

zzz3.png

Now, is this how I was supposed to configure the settings from the start for the card to work with my Genius 5.1 system? Or I just messed around with the settings and I managed to do something which makes all the speakers work?

Is this how it all should be? Someone please tell me!

Mouse Genius, Black
Keyboard Dell
Did you install Daniel_K's drivers as suggested?

You should not bother trying to fix anything until you use those drivers.
Those drivers don't work, I downloaded them from the link in this thread and the Setup says something like "Cannot find the appropriate hardware, Setup will now close" or something like that. Maybe it's because they are not for my card model (SB0570) or because my XP has SP2, not SP3, who knows...

This is my card:
zzz4.png

Mouse Genius, Black
Keyboard Dell
Sorry, you did post the model in your OP and I missed it. Daniel_K's drivers won't work for that.

It should all be working if you have selected 5.1 everywhere. Not sure where the issue is.

On my X-fi card the software can see what jacks are connected. Do you have anything like that?

View attachment 225853

No, I don't have anything like that in my driver/software. Aside from the pics I already posted with my driver, I only have this in Control Panel:

zzz5.png

zzz6.png

But I believe the jacks are connected well, I mean each color goes into the corresponding hole: the black jack in the black hole of the card, the orange in the orange and the green in the green.

Mouse Genius, Black
Keyboard Dell
Oh damn... I'm not good with Reddit... I heard about it, but I never used it before, it's complicated...

Look, if I remember correctly, I downloaded the driver from here:

actually it's here:

and with these settings that I explained in the post with many pics above the sound is pretty good, I mean all the speakers sound OK including the woofer. So my question remains: is this how it's supposed to sound? Or it should have sounded OK (all the speakers) before I modified those settings in Enable CMSS3D Surround?

Mouse Genius, Black
Keyboard Dell
If you have a 5.1 source you should hear sound out of all speakers.

I do, but only after modifying those settings like I described before.

YouTube sounds OK, but before it didn't, just like Winamp or MP3 playing in general.

So, what should I do? Leave my driver's settings like this? Is it normal?

PS: the link you gave me is for the PDF manuals, not for the driver. I stumbled upon it too when searching for the drivers. You didn't check careful enough.

The actual driver is here:

But that doesn't matter, what matters is knowing if what I did with the settings is right, or if it was just some happy coincidence that made all my speakers work.

System Name Mini efficient rig.
Processor R9 3900, @4ghz -0.05v offset. 110W peak.
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M DS3H, bios f41 pcie 4.0 unlocked.
Cooling some server blower @1500rpm
Memory 2x16GB oem Samsung D-Die. 3200MHz
Video Card(s) RX 6600 Pulse w/conductonaut @65C hotspot
Storage 1x 128gb nvme Samsung 950 Pro - 4x 1tb sata Hitachi 2.5" hdds
Display(s) Samsung C24RG50FQI
Case Jonsbo C2 (almost itx sized)
Audio Device(s) integrated Realtek crap
Power Supply Seasonic SSR-750FX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Redragon K539 brown switches
Software Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 + Windows 10 21H2 LTSC (patched).
Benchmark Scores Cinebench: R15 3050 pts, R20 7000 pts, R23 17800 pts, r2024 1050 pts.
OK, here is what I've done: I reinstalled my Windows XP and I installed again the drivers of the card, then I played a bit with the settings, and I went to EAX Settings, where I noticed that if I check "Enable CMSS 3D Surround" and I choose "Stereo Surround" then all the speakers sound OK:

View attachment 225847

If I choose CMSS instead of Stereo Surround, then they don't work OK.

And then, if I go to Speaker Settings and to the tab Bass Management and I raise the volume to the max for both Subwoofer Volume and Bass Redirection, then my subwoofer sounds pretty OK:

View attachment 225848

But strangely, the Bass Boost tab doesn't work:

View attachment 225849

Now, is this how I was supposed to configure the settings from the start for the card to work with my Genius 5.1 system? Or I just messed around with the settings and I managed to do something which makes all the speakers work?

Is this how it all should be? Someone please tell me!
Probably its simply because CMSS is made for dual speakers or headphones. Not for a 5.1. Same for "bass boost" thing, afaik its designed for headphones.

Mouse Genius, Black
Keyboard Dell
OK people, I got great news!

This is what I did: I kept searching through the comments of some guys from my country who bought this soundcard, and most of them said that the official drivers from Creative are crap, and that this card model needs the modded drivers from Daniel K, particularly the Support Pack 2.7. They said that after testing several drivers, they are convinced that these are the best drivers for this soundcard. So I searched for them and I found them here:

OK, I downloaded these drivers, I uninstalled the previous ones (the official Creative ones) I restarted my PC and I installed these modded drivers... and SURPRISE!!!

These drivers are TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

They really make THE BEST out of this card!!!

But pay attention, you still need to play with the settings, I attach some more screenshots for people to see and understand.

What you need to do is open the Creative Console Launcher, so that you see this:

yyy1.png

Then you go to Speakers and Headphone and select your desired configuration, like here:

yyy2.png

You can also test the channels there, to hear how each speaker sounds.

Then, while you're still there, you can also control the Bass of the Woofer, like here:

yyy3.png

As you can see, now I don't have anything disabled when it comes to Bass, like I did with the previous drivers.

Then you can go to EAX Effects if you wanna have some special effects for your sound:

yyy4.png

Then YOU MUST go to X-Fi CMSS 3D-and YOU MUST check/select "Enable X-Fi CMSS-3D Surround" and YOU MUST choose "Stereo Surround" if you want all the speakers to sound properly, INCLUDING THE SUBWOOFER! Like here:

yyy5.png

Then you go to X-Fi Crystalizer and you enable it, and set it to maximum. I set it to maximum because after repeated tests I concluded that this is how it sounds best for me:

crystalizer.png

As for the Equalizer, it's your own choice whether you use it or not, it's like the one Winamp has:

yyy6.png

Same for the Mixer, it resembles the Volume Control from Windows:

mixer.png

Next, you go to Performance and you should probably set it to 96 kHz for Master Sampling Rate and to 24 Bits for Bit Depth:

yyy7.png

And as for the Digital I/O (Digital Output Sampling Rate) I left it to 96 kHz too:

yyy8.png

By the way, here is how it looks in Control Panel, it is now detected as Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio:

yyy9.png

yyy10.png

Same in Device manager:

yyy11.png

OK, that's pretty much it. Now, even if you have a nice 5.1 system like I do, IT MUST WORK!

And I tell you, I just tested for about 3 or 4 hours lots and lots of my music, MP3 files, video files (MP4 files) and games, and now everything sounds EXCEPTIONAL! The subwoofer's bass and vibrations are now very dense, much more powerful than before, I hear all sorts of vibrating sounds I never heard before, like all the sounds the woofer makes kinda got variegated, so to speak. And also the rest of the speakers sound way louder and clearer than before, especially after enabling the X-Fi Crystalizer the sounds really are more crystaline, the treble (or however it's called) is cleaner and sharper, everything truly got improved!

Bottom line: I managed to fix the problem myself and anyone can consider this post as a small tutorial on how to install the appropriate drivers for this soundcard.

So, once again, this is the Creative Audigy SB0570 soundcard, here are some photos of it:

It's probably exactly like the one in this video:

and here is the link for these great drivers which MUST WORK, at least under Windows XP SP2 32-bit:

Scroll until almost the bottom, and the download link is there, at "Download Now -> P17X_SupportPack_2_7.zip local download <<-- Backup Server"

PS: if anyone still has problems with this card, or the download link for these drivers doesn't work, please message me here, I should get a mail about it and I will come here and try my best to help you. If I don't answer, just Google "creative audigy support pack 2.7" and with a bit of luck you will find these great drivers!

In my opinion, the thread can now be closed.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• yyy6.png
    yyy6.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited: