• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tales of two inadequately cooled cards, from both sides

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS A520M-K
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix CJR OEM DDR4-3200 @ 4000 20-22-20-48
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Some of you might know I bought GTX 1070 Katana, a single slot GTX 1070. From reviews, GTX1070 was a bit below my previous card, Vega 56 but I wanted to share something interesting.

My Vega 56 was a reference cooler card, unmolded die (HBM have different height from the GPU die, VERY HARD to get even heatsink pressure after repasting) and previously used for mining. Because I live in humid, tropic country with no air conditioning the temperature of the card always high (about 80C++, the hot spot is even worse while gaming) so I have to downclock the card quite a bit, to around 1300-1400MHz at 900mV to maintain adequate temperature and thus this is how I operated this card all the time with a custom fan profile (default fan was way too slow and barely any airflow).

Originally I traded my Vega 56 with this card because I desperately need some money at the time, plus I really wanted this niche card because it reminds me of my younger self, running X1800GTO and 9600GT single slot cards.

Indeed the thing I read online was right. It will quickly throttle down to 1519MHz stock clock after gaming for 15 minutes or so on heavier title like Witcher 3, Metro Exodus, Shadow of Tomb Raider etc. For my Vega there was some interesting tool like OverdriveNTool and recently AMD Memory Tweak to finetune the memory timings to squeeze every single framerate from the card.

I only found MSI Afterburner to tweak the card, there was nvidia Inspector but that mostly deal with driver profile. After some read I could tweak the GPU Boost frequency/voltage curve to finetune the boost frequency to desired voltage in Afterburner. After a day tweaking I was surprised by the result. The card steadily handle boost clock of above 1800MHz running at around 900mV with custom fan profile, the fan wasn't noisy and gets noisy at 80% and above. Even so its WAY quieter than any blower fan I use. I'd say 80% of this card is like 40% for Vega reference blower. At this speed, this card is definitely faster than my underclocked Vega56. It could reach over 100fps at certain location in Metro Exodus 1080p Ultra, simply amazing for this thin card!