• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[TechSpot] AMD admits to restraining chip supply to keep higher CPU and GPU prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

The article states,

"In a Tuesday evening investors call, AMD CEO Lisa Su tried to calm investor anxiety by pointing out that the company has been, and will continue to, undership GPUs to "balance supply and demand." Of course, that's just another way of saying, "we're going to keep prices inflated by lowering our output."

Well, I have to say... I used to respect AMD a lot for giving me such amazing childhood memories when I couldn't afford Nvidia and Intel. I think I am at a point now I'd rather pay a premium for Nvidia (at least they produced enough stock for those who wanted it).

Intel and Nvidia for me, now to sell my 6800 xt and msi b550 mobo/ram. Fuck this noise.

Last edited:
System Name AMDWeapon
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard X670E MSI Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 ARGB with Silverstone Air Blazer 2200rpm fans
Memory G-Skill Trident Z Neo RGB 6000 CL30 32GB@EXPO
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900 GRE Red Devil
Storage Samsung 870 QVO 1TB x 2, Lexar 256 GB, TeamGroup MP44L 2TB, Crucial T700 1TB, Seagate Firecuda 2TB
Display(s) 32" LG UltraGear GN600-B
Case Montech 903 MAX AIR
Audio Device(s) Corsair void wireless/Sennheiser EPOS 670
Power Supply MSI MPG AGF 850 watt gold
Mouse Glorious Model D l Pad GameSir G7 SE
Keyboard Redragon Vara K551P
Software Windows 11 Pro 24H2
Benchmark Scores Fast Enough.

The article states,

"In a Tuesday evening investors call, AMD CEO Lisa Su tried to calm investor anxiety by pointing out that the company has been, and will continue to, undership GPUs to "balance supply and demand." Of course, that's just another way of saying, "we're going to keep prices inflated by lowering our output."

Well, I have to say... I used to respect AMD a lot of giving me such amazing childhood memories when I couldn't afford Nvidia and Intel. I think I am at a point now I'd rather pay a premium for Nvidia (at least they produced enough stock for those who wanted it).

Intel and Nvidia for me, now to sell my 6800 xt and msi b550 mobo/ram. Fuck this noise.
Nooo, turn away from the green and blue light!

Seriously though, that's f****ed up. I've only been into AMD for a few years too. Maybe I'll keep this bullshit in mind when I upgrade in a few years. Wow.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Nooo, turn away from the green and blue light!

Seriously though, that's f****ed up. I've only been into AMD for a few years too. Maybe I'll keep this bullshit in mind when I upgrade in a few years. Wow.

yep, it sure isn't supposed to be how supply and demand capitalism works, that's for damn sure. For me this hurts deeply, as I have loved AMD so much for the last 20+ years. Am I overreacting a bit, yes, but also I make ok money now as an older adult, and honestly I think I'd rather just support Intel and Nvidia due to this attitude from AMD. Nvidia does have better drivers, even as an AMD fanboy I was always willing to admit that overall, can't complain my 6800 XT has been great, but I was still willing to admit even then Nvidia is better.

I honestly love how Nvidia has gone with oversized coolers, and everything runs nice and cold, vs my 92 celsius hotspot temp being "normal" according to AMD. I also like how Intel engineers thinned down the die size after the 8700k issues to keep temps colder, there are pros and cons to every company, but honestly AMD has lost me on this one. I don't agree with this mindset.

System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64
We knew that let's see if the other side will admit it too. I tried to go with an all AMD system for the 1st time in a very long time but couldn't find a GPU.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
We new that let's see if the other side will admit it too. I tried to go with an all AMD system for the 1st time in a very long time but couldn't find a GPU.

4070 ti and 4080 never sold out of stock once, and Intel cpu's same story. during the pandemic it was different story, but the latest launches the case has been plenty of stock for Intel and Nvidia. yes you are paying a premium price for Nvidia, but you are getting superior technologies as well with DLSS3 and Frame Generation, better cooling solutions, high quality PCB's, better drivers.

I am DONE being a budget gamer, thanks to this article from TechSpot, I honestly am ready to just pay the premium for a 4080 at this point.

fyi, I wanted a 7900 xtx on launch - had to settle for a 6800 XT BECUASE OF THIS BS MINDSET come to find out today. fuck that.

AsRock

TPU addict

The article states,

Well, I have to say... I used to respect AMD a lot for giving me such amazing childhood memories when I couldn't afford Nvidia and Intel. I think I am at a point now I'd rather pay a premium for Nvidia (at least they produced enough stock for those who wanted it).

At least they being honest about, not as we did not know anyways. Sure nVidia's not doing it right ? hahaha.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
At least they being honest about, not as we did not know anyways. Sure nVidia's not doing it right ? hahaha.

How is Nvidia doing it if they have been in stock since launch date? During the crypto boom all companies were dipshits, every single one of them, I am not saying that. I am saying right here in the now present time.

Intel and NVIDIA provided plenty of supply. I waited a long ass time to do my dream build, and was dead set on a 7900 XTX. FUCK AMD FOR THIS! I hated that I had to settle for a 6800 XT after I was patient for so long.

Xii-Nyth

The article states,

and you think they are any better? Nvidia held back 30 series which now caused there overstock situation

Space Lynx

Astronaut
and you think they are any better? Nvidia held back 30 series which now caused there overstock situation

They did not, the crypto boom fucked up all the numbers, those days are done. I am talking about the here and now, ffs.

wolf

Better Than Native
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
AMD has lost me on this one. I don't agree with this mindset.
With all this, I go back to my regular mindset of they're not the good guys, but nobody is, they all want maximum profits and do business driven, anti-consumer stuff to get there.

No company is a saint, and they do shit like this to varying extents depending on many dozens of factors, who has a market leading position, inventory levels, production capacity, value add features etc, which is why I try to ignore it and just rate the products themselves, all their features and nuances, at the prices they're available at to me, and try leave the political side out of it.

For a select few of course, AMD can do no wrong and the bar of what's acceptable closely follows the bar of what AMD does... I lump all them in together, my tolerance for this crap is VERY low and they've all somersaulted over it multiple times, so they sure as hell don't get a pass if the others don't.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
these are all businesses that operate to make money. THinking some are friendlier than others is insanity

exactly, and when the crypto boom happened Nvidia churned out cards faster than anyone cause they were making money. supply and demand... Nvidia had plenty of supply for 4070 ti and 4080, I don't like Nvidia much, but they have not pulled a stunt like this to my knowledge that AMD has pulled here.

With all this, I go back to my regular mindset of they're not the good guys, but nobody is, they all want maximum profits and do business driven, anti-consumer stuff to get there.

No company is a saint, and they do shit like this to varying extents depending on many dozens of factors, who has a market leading position, inventory levels, production capacity, value add features etc, which is why I try to ignore it and just rate the products themselves, all their features and nuances, at the prices they're available at to me, and try leave the political side out of it.

For a select few of course, AMD can do no wrong and the bar of what's acceptable closely follows the bar of what AMD does... I lump all them in together, my tolerance for this crap is VERY low and they've all somersaulted over it multiple times, so they sure as hell don't get a pass if the others don't.

AMD was budget king for decades, giving kids like me countless memories in the original Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Stronghold, Civ 3, so many fucking memories - none of it would have happened if AMD was not budget king - THAT is why I respected AMD so much for so long.

AMD no longer plays that role. Now AMD actively hinders that role according to this TechSpot article.

Therefore, I conclude you are right, maybe all companies do fucking suck, but my money is going to nvidia and intel from now on.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5

The article states,

You...realize that in the same PCWorld article Nvidia spokesman also stated that they were 'adjusting inventory' the same way as AMD?

Dramatic and overblown reaction much? No one should be this loyal to any company, period.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You...realize that in the same PCWorld article Nvidia spokesman also stated that they were 'adjusting inventory' the same way as AMD?

Dramatic and overblown reaction much?

They didn't lower shipments though, cause 4070 ti and 4080 is in stock everywhere since day 1... AMD is actively limiting stock to affect prices... your argument makes no sense.

System Name Cyberdyne Systems Core
Processor AMD Sceptre 9 3950x Quantum neural processor (384 nodes)
Motherboard Cyberdyne X1470
Cooling Cyberdyne Superconduct SC5600
Memory 128TB QRAM
Storage SK 16EB NVMe PCI-E 9.0 x8
Display(s) Multiple LG C9 3D Matrix OLED Cube
Software Skysoft Skynet
None of them are your friends. And brand loyalty to the monster is stupid.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
They didn't lower shipments though, cause 4070 ti and 4080 is in stock everywhere since day 1... AMD is actively limiting stock to affect prices... your argument makes no sense.

Don't link an article if you don't even read all of it.

However, Nvidia beat both of them to the punch. In November, CFO Colette Kress told investors that the company was combating declining demand by lowering shipments.

"We still see gaming is solid, and we're continuing to watch each and every day in terms of the sell-through that we're seeing," Kress said. "So we have been undershipping. We have been undershipping gaming at this time so that we can correct that inventory that is out in the channel [sic]."

AMD isn’t the only one doing it, either.

“We’re continuing to watch each and every day in terms of the sell-through that we’re seeing,” Nvidia CFO Colette Kress said to investors in November. “So we have been undershipping. We have been undershipping gaming at this time so that we can correct that inventory that is out in the channel.”

I didn't say anything about 40 series stock. Clearly, this is a much bigger problem for AMD since the XTX is still AWOL (it's like it's 2020). I'm addressing the article and the justification for moving to nvidia and intel......based on the idea that AMD is the only one doing this. Like, buy what you will when you want to, this is a pretty dumb reason lol.

Like I said, brand loyalty to any company is inane.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Don't link an article if you don't even read all of it.

Like I said, brand loyalty to any company is inane.

I did read all of it. Undershipping is different than actively making sure it is not in stock...

Edit: I am well aware Nvidia is no amazing company, that isn't the point of my decision to go to them. I have said everything I wanted to say in previous posts, so if others don't understand where I am coming from, that is fine. I don't have much else to say really.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Firstly, maximising profit margins are nowadays the main target for any company. Also, AMD didn't make many XTs to allow inventory of 6000s to be cleared first. nVidia on the other side used the crazy high pricing to do so (which is much worse for pc customers imho). When this is done, XTs will get a discount and will be found easily on the shelves. My 5c.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Firstly, maximising profit margins are nowadays the main target for any company. Also, AMD didn't make many XTs to allow inventory of 6000s to be cleared first. nVidia on the other side used the crazy high pricing to do so (which is much worse for pc customers imho). When this is done, XTs will get a discount and will be found easily on the shelves. My 5c.

sounds good to me, Nvidia and Intel is getting my money moving forward, I wish all the best to AMD. Take care folks, thread is done for me. :toast:

also, AMD would have made more money off of me, if you know 7900 XTX was in stock, as I am sure they get a higher profit margin off of that vs the 6800 XT I bought, also 6800 XT sales out fast to this day and all last year, I know because I kept an eye on the Reddit PC sale thread. they won't be getting any money from me now, thanks to capitalism my money is going elsewhere.

I am going to request to close this thread, I said all I wanted to say. Go here if you wish to discuss it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.