• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Filthy, Rotten, Nasty, Helpdesk-Nightmare picture clubhouse

System Name The Blind Grim Reaper
Processor Xeon X5675 Westmere-EP B1 SLBYL 4.20ghz @ 1.256v
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
Cooling Noctua CP12 SE14, Redux Noctua 1500rpm fan Arctic F14 x3 for intake and exhaust
Memory Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 x6
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Single Fan Model
Storage Crucial mx300 750gb main system + 1TB mx500 for games and music
Display(s) 22 inch samsung curved
Case NZXT Phantom 530 black
Audio Device(s) Nvidia HDMI through HDMI adaptor for output sound for turtlebeach x12 headset
Power Supply Antec HCG 850 watt
Mouse no brand
Keyboard normal usb keyboard
Software Windows 10 22H2 v1 (main is) and Windows 11 22H2 v2 on WD 250gb 7200rpm (testing purposes os)
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 = 2046cb

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Wasup! I've been slacking for the past few months, but it doesn't mean I haven't collected any "gems" from my workshop.
First one is my least favorite type of repair: when you get good stuff abused at construction sites and auto repair shops.
This one wasn't really that filthy, but had no sound (not muffled, but fully absent). At first I thought the audio codec was dead, but then I found out the real reason....
IMG_20240601_151651.jpg
Few careful minutes with a powerful neodymium magnet and it came back to its original state with "full range of sound", or at least as much as those puny Dell latitude speakers can muster.
IMG_20240601_151706.jpg

And the next one is definitely the worst. Combines two things that I whole-heartedly hate - stupidity and lies.
My buddy's nephew sent over his Pixel 5a. Said "it was working fine, but all of a sudden rebooted and never came back to life". Looking at it, I immediately suspected water damage because the lens cover was foggy. Called him to ask some clarifying questions - and as far as I've gotten is "maybe I walked in the rain with it". Then I opened the poor little bastard to see if maybe it's just a faulty charging port or charge controller, and to my surprise I saw this:
IMG_20240610_124551.jpgIMG_20240610_124600.jpgIMG_20240610_124606.jpg

Everything was soaked and dead. Not even a single part can be reused as donor. Come to find out he jumped in the lake with it.
Still don't understand why people almost always lie when it comes to liquid damage.... Either they don't want to look stupid, or maybe they think that if they believe it hard enough - the damage will go away somehow. Seen and heard this on many occasions, both with phones and beer-soaked laptops. Only had a few customers(regulars) that weren't ashamed to admit they made a whoopsie, which saved both my time and their time.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Wasup! I've been slacking for the past few months, but it doesn't mean I haven't collected any "gems" from my workshop.
First one is my least favorite type of repair: when you get good stuff abused at construction sites and auto repair shops.
This one wasn't really that filthy, but had no sound (not muffled, but fully absent). At first I thought the audio codec was dead, but then I found out the real reason....
View attachment 351599
Few careful minutes with a powerful neodymium magnet and it came back to its original state with "full range of sound", or at least as much as those puny Dell latitude speakers can muster.
View attachment 351600

And the next one is definitely the worst. Combines two things that I whole-heartedly hate - stupidity and lies.
My buddy's nephew sent over his Pixel 5a. Said "it was working fine, but all of a sudden rebooted and never came back to life". Looking at it, I immediately suspected water damage because the lens cover was foggy. Called him to ask some clarifying questions - and as far as I've gotten is "maybe I walked in the rain with it". Then I opened the poor little bastard to see if maybe it's just a faulty charging port or charge controller, and to my surprise I saw this:
View attachment 351601View attachment 351602View attachment 351603

Everything was soaked and dead. Not even a single part can be reused as donor. Come to find out he jumped in the lake with it.
Still don't understand why people almost always lie when it comes to liquid damage.... Either they don't want to look stupid, or maybe they think that if they believe it hard enough - the damage will go away somehow. Seen and heard this on many occasions, both with phones and beer-soaked laptops. Only had a few customers(regulars) that weren't ashamed to admit they made a whoopsie, which saved both my time and their time.
Lol. I had a device die to water damage - but I would have explained it the same way, because I dried it out and it worked fine for a week.

It wasn't a phone though.