• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermal pads for sticking heatsinks on VRM/VRAM, what thickness should I go for?

crystal6tak

Hey all!

First time posting here, please let me know if I did something wrong!

I’m wondering when using self-adhesive thermal pads to stick tiny heatsinks on VRAM/VRM on a graphics card, does the thickness matter? Normally the thickness is determined by the gap between the two object squishing against each other, but since I’m just sticking heat sinks on the PCB, what thickness thermal pads should I use then? 0.5mm? 1mm? 1.5mm?

Specifically, I have an EVGA 980 Ti FTW ACX 2.0 4996 and an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III I want to slap on. I’ll have to remove the front plate of the 980 Ti to install the Accelero cooler. Meaning it’ll reveal all the VRAM/VRM and what not that normally are cooled by the front plate. The thermal adhesive paste provided by Arctic creates pretty much a permanent bond between the PCB and the heatsink which I don’t want. I looked around and found the Alphacool Eisschicht self-adhering thermal pads 14 w/mK (17 too expensive) which I can buy at where I’m at. Problem is I don’t know whether to get the 0.5mm or 1mm variant.

Here’s a picture below showing the tiny silver heatsinks I want to stick on the VRM/VRAM

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
thin ones will transfer heat better.. thicker ones would only be for uneven surfaces..

trog

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I'd use the .5mm. As trog alluded to, the thicker ones are there to fill larger gaps between the heatsink and IC it is cooling... even surface or not.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Thermal pads are not adhesive and will not hold sinks on the card on their own. You want tape or epoxy.

Also the arctic epoxy is not a forever product. I tested their cooler and epoxy and was still able to remove the sinks by twisting them off when I was done.

Last edited:

crystal6tak

Thermal pads are not adhesive and will not hold sinks on the card on their own. You want tape or epoxy.
I was wondering that too. Alphacool's website states them as "self-adhesive". Looking online, adhesive thermal pad seems to a thing too. Although I can't find many reviews of this specific alphacool thermal pad anywhere that talk about their stickiness. I guess I'll be the guinea pig then :p

System Name Karl Arsch v. u. z. Abgewischt
Processor i5 3770K @5GHz delided
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Professional
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 240
Memory 4x 4GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Storage Samsung 830 - 512GB; 2x 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung T240 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Shinobie XL
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Cougar G600
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard CMStorm Ultimate QuickFire (CherryMX Brown)
Software Win7 Pro 64bit
Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I was wondering that too. Alphacool's website states them as "self-adhesive". Looking online, adhesive thermal pad seems to a thing too. Although I can't find many reviews of this specific alphacool thermal pad anywhere that talk about their stickiness. I guess I'll be the guinea pig then :p

If you read the datasheets they also mention that they need to be compressed to work properly. In your situation there will be no compression made. Also it does not state of those pads are sticky on one or both sides. Again, I still suggest you buy themral tape, or just use the epoxy that comes with the cooler.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i would epoxy them on.. just dont apply force and twist them off.. he he

i have done it many a time with RC airplane stuff and PC stuff .. electric speed controlers and the like.. they pass lots of amps and get pretty hot.. never had one fall off yet..

try and clamp them a bit as the stuff cures..

they will work better on a graphics card (or anythiing come to that) with some airflow blowing at or over them.. it dosnt have to be a gale but static air makes a good insulator..

trog

crystal6tak

If you read the datasheets they also mention that they need to be compressed to work properly. In your situation there will be no compression made. Also it does not state of those pads are sticky on one or both sides. Again, I still suggest you buy themral tape, or just use the epoxy that comes with the cooler.
There is one review out there that claims it's "Double-sided adhesive". He also said it was more sticky than phobya radiator... I have no idea what that means. Just read the datasheet, it states "double sticky surface" So I guess that confirms that. As to the compression thing...hmm, I was expecting the pads to be slightly clay/bluetac like (at least that's what it seems from videos), so I was thinking I could just compress it myself first? Then it'll stay in place? I have no idea. And which epoxy did you use? The one I got, which seems to be the same as this dude, a single unlabeled white tube (not two). That article also says on the third paragraph about how the bond is fairly permanent, while referencing to ripping of VRAM... Obviously if I could use the provided epoxy I'd gladly use it, but I can't seem to find anyone that talked about safely removing the the exact epoxy I got from Arctic.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/4-Stuck-VGA-...428798?hash=item19fc9e81fe:g:vx8AAOxyzi9ShzqE

These ones work really great (made of copper) used them on several GPUs in the past without them falling off opposed to the junk Arctic is bundling with their coolers.
Wait what, the one provided by Arctic is that bad?

Fujiopoly extreme are the best, but you pay for that too...
Can't find anywhere saying it's adhesive. Also not sold here at Spain unfortunately...

Hi there,

Gee that picture sure looks familiar! I'm pretty sure that's the picture of my R9 290 that I did with a universal water block.

Anyways id suggest you want something like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171696285466?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I did not use thermal pads in that picture.
I had no idea! I was just using it for reference :p. Great pic! 10/10 would use again. As to that epoxy, can I be sure I won't rip off any chips when trying to remove the sinks in the future? That's my main concern.

i would epoxy them on.. just dont apply force and twist them off.. he he

try and clamp them a bit as the stuff cures..

they will work better on a graphics card (or anythiing come to that) with some airflow blowing at or over them..

trog
But...trying to get them off is exactly what I want to do in the future...

Apologies, I thought they had an adhesive version.

You don't want to compress these yourself. The oils on your hand will take away the effectiveness of the adhesive. You should clean off all surfaces it will touch with isopropyl alcohol and a qtip or lint free towel/rag.

crystal6tak

Apologies, I thought they had an adhesive version.

You don't want to compress these yourself. The oils on your hand will take away the effectiveness of the adhesive. You should clean off all surfaces it will touch with isopropyl alcohol and a qtip or lint free towel/rag.
Not planning to do that at all lol, was thinking of getting the pad and heatsinks on the PCB, then use a textbook or something to place on top of the heatsinks acting as weight. Then leave it like that for a couple of hours.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Processor Core i9-9900k
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax ETS-T50 Black CPU cooler
Memory 32GB (2x16) Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 Ti Super OC 16GB
Storage 1x 1TB MX500 SSD; 1x 6TB WD Black; 2x 4TB WD Black; 1x 1TB BX500 SSD; 1x 6TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) Infievo 27" 165Hz @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-1000 Gold
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
then use a textbook or something to place on top of the heatsinks acting as weight

I don't think you need to to all that! My experience has been with VRM heatsinks that jist a little bit of pressure on the pad/tape for about 30 seconds will do the trick, which you can do with a finger.

I don't think you need to to all that! My experience has been with VRM heatsinks that jist a little bit of pressure on the pad/tape for about 30 seconds will do the trick, which you can do with a finger.
winner winner... chicken dinner!

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Seeing the original post pic reminds me of a 5870 I bricked trying to do the same thing. :(

System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
use ceramique2 and let it cure for 3 days :D
Watch out in the vrm area where a slipped sink can contact the inductors.
I've lost 2-3 cards like that :(
Even after applying LET to the area i thought it might would contact.

crystal6tak

Seeing the original post pic reminds me of a 5870 I bricked trying to do the same thing. :(
How did you brick it?

use ceramique2 and let it cure for 3 days :D
Watch out in the vrm area where a slipped sink can contact the inductors.
I've lost 2-3 cards like that :(
Even after applying LET to the area i thought it might would contact.
I was considering ceramic, would you happen to know how safe removing the heatsinks would be after it has cured?

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
How did you brick it?

Not entirely sure. I think a solder point broke off or something, one or two of the VRM choke cores felt loose.. Put it all together, back in the case, no video, nadda.

System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
How did you brick it?

I was considering ceramic, would you happen to know how safe removing the heatsinks would be after it has cured?
Very safe.
To be extra safe,don't sink the VRMs..too near the inductor contacts..I have lost 3 cards like that...or is it 4?

crystal6tak

Very safe.
Interesting! Have any recommendation for what ceramic thermal paste I should use? And how would I go with taking the sinks off in the future? Just twist them off? I've read someone talk about putting it in the fridge to make it brittle, is that necessary? Also, you talked about the sink slipping and shorting out the VRM, can you expand on that? I'd like to not make the same mistake.

EDIT:
Saw you recommended ceramique 2, searching that up now.

EDIT2:
Are you sure the ceramique 2 is sticky enough to keep the heatsinks on the VRM/VRAM without support? I haven't found anyone that have used it for such application. I only found results for the previous product, the ceramique 1 which from this super old thread (post 4 onwards) says the ceramique 1 is not sticky enough.

EDIT3:
So umm...I ordered some Sekisui 5760 thermal tape instead lol. Hopefully aquacooling approves the cancellation of my order on the alphacooling pads...

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit SE
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage Nextorage NE1N 2TB ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
Last edited:
System Name BTXTREME
Processor QX6800 SLACP Core2 Extreme
Motherboard Dell 0WG864 LGA775 BTX
Cooling Dell T9303 heatpipe cooler, Delta GFB1212VHG 2 motor fan.
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Video Card(s) Sapphire Dual BIOS R9-285 ITX O/C 2GB DDR5
Storage Crucial M500 240GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Case Dell Dimension E 520 MT
Audio Device(s) onboard sound with Logitech Z523 speakers
Power Supply EVGA B2 750W semi modular
Mouse Logitech wireless (two installed)
Keyboard Logitech wireless backlit
Software Win7-64, Throttlestop 6.00 overclock
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
I suggest using Arctics 2 part cleaner to get a good bond. The tape should be sufficient to hold the aluminum sinks , the copper ones are much heavier and I've used tape with them. The epoxy will transfer heat better than tape though mostly because it ends up thinner.