• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ThrottleStop does not Stop Throttling CPU Lenovo Laptop

asdfghjklz

Fore-note: I am not good at modifying my laptop, and usually just search random online tutorials : P

Problem:
Lenovo Laptop undesired CPU throttling at 75-80 degrees instead of the desired 97 degrees, CPU speed drops from >4.2 GHz to 0.8-1.2 GHz.

Tried and failed:
Restarting
Modifying BIOS settings for performance
Modifying Windows Registry to modify power plan for performance (reverted it now)
Using alternative software like Quick CPU (did not work, probably due to not having locked prochot option for Lenovo laptops)

System Info:
Power plan is at performance
I do not have WSL other than in Sys32
Screenshot 2024-07-19 145748.png

ThrottleStop (settings):
Screenshot 2024-07-19 150055.png

Note I did not touch any buttons other than "Options" and "Limits" (FIVR, TPL, etc. are left untouched).

Records:
Before resource intensiveness:
ThrottleStop log: 2024-07-019 Not Resource Intensive.txt
Screenshot 2024-07-19 155036.png

After resource intensiveness:
ThrottleStop log: 2024-07-19 Resource Intensive.txt
1721421875693.png

Note:
ThrottleStop has worked on this laptop before, but after reinstalling windows, clearing the D-drive, it seems to RARELY work anymore. It does work, but so inconsistently that I've decided to post the issue to the forums.

Fun note:
Laptop can reach 93-97 degrees on its own without ThrottleStop which is pretty interesting, namely when downloading (not running) Genshin Impact. This makes me think that it is the laptop that works when ThrottleStop seems to work.

Lets talk solvency, any ideas?

Attachments

• 2024-07-19 Resource Intensive.txt
    13.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 2024-07-19 Not Resource Intensive.txt
    12.4 KB · Views: 4
Solution
Always leave MMIO Lock checked. After you use ThrottleStop to lock this register, it will remain locked until the next time you reboot. You cannot unlock it while you are in Windows. You always need to reboot to unlock it. Most computers will also unlock this limit after you resume from sleep.

What is this wizardry!?
Your screenshot was showing that the MMIO PL1 power limit was being set too low. About 8W is too low. It makes for a cool computer but it kills the maximum performance of your CPU. The MMIO Lock feature disables the MMIO power limits.

If you want lower temperatures, clear the Disable Controls box and lower the PL1 and PL2 power limits. Having these both...

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Post a picture of the TPL window when your computer is power limit throttling.

Make sure the MMIO Lock box near the top right corner of the TPL window is checked.

1721424436021.png

Also post a picture of the Options window.

asdfghjklz

1721425128336.png

Umm, its working now with it turned off? What is this wizardry!?

(Which isn't good btw)
1721425751042.png

So would I uncheck or check the box when every time I want to stop or start throttling?

Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Always leave MMIO Lock checked. After you use ThrottleStop to lock this register, it will remain locked until the next time you reboot. You cannot unlock it while you are in Windows. You always need to reboot to unlock it. Most computers will also unlock this limit after you resume from sleep.

What is this wizardry!?
Your screenshot was showing that the MMIO PL1 power limit was being set too low. About 8W is too low. It makes for a cool computer but it kills the maximum performance of your CPU. The MMIO Lock feature disables the MMIO power limits.

If you want lower temperatures, clear the Disable Controls box and lower the PL1 and PL2 power limits. Having these both set to 64W is more heat than your computer can dissipate. Try setting them both to 25W or maybe PL1 = 25 and PL2 = 30 with the turbo time limit set to about 8 seconds or less. These settings will let you control how hot you want to run your CPU.

Solution