• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Trying to Fix a "Fake" NVidia Graphics Card

Kornepheros

I have a "fake" NVidia GTX 1050 Ti graphics card, and I'd like to try to get it running. Could someone help me by answering a couple of questions? First, here is the basic information I know about this graphics card, starting with a GPU-Z report:
Fake 1050 Ti.PNG

GPU: GF116-200-KA-A1 (probably a GTS 450 Rev. 2?)
20210529_083657.jpg

BIOS Chip: Pm25LQ020
20210529_083949.jpg

Memory: K4G10325FE-HC04 (GDDR5 - 8 chips, 4 on front, 4 on back of PCB = 1GB?)
20210529_084010.jpg
20210529_083823.jpg
20210529_090816.jpg

Connectors: HDMI, VGA, DVI
20210529_085214.jpg

I have a CH341A programmer with a clip that fits the BIOS chip. I installed AsProgrammer 1.4.1, but it does not appear to include the specific BIOS chip I need to flash (Pm25LQ020). I tried a different option (I think it was Pm25LD020) and it seemed to read and write okay, but I'm not confident this will work. Is there some way I can get the specific BIOS chip (Pm25LQ020) as an option in AsProgrammer? Or maybe using one of the other chip options is okay? Or maybe I should be using another piece of software to flash this chip?

The other problem I have is identifying which BIOS to flash onto the chip. Looking in the TechPowerUp database, the card that fits this description best is the ASUS GTS 450 (ENGTS450/DI/1GD5), but I'm not certain about this. I filtered TechPowerUp's VGA Bios Collection down to 16 possible BIOS options that look like they would work with the ASUS card, and eventually settled on one that has the same core/boost speed and flashed it onto the chip (using, like I said, the wrong chip option in AsProgrammer). It seemed to work, as far as I could tell. But when I tried to use the card, it wasn't recognized as an Nvidia card, only as a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, so I couldn't install any drivers:
After Flash.PNG

It could take forever to try to find the correct BIOS to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Corey

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
If it reads and writes and then the chip verifys ok, it worked. Not much else to say.

System Name Black Box II
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus Wifi
Cooling Chromax Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) TeamGroup 3200MHz
Video Card(s) XFX Merc RX 6900XT Limited Black
Storage WD Black SN770 (1TB), Crucial P1 (1TB)
Display(s) LG 34UC79G-B, BenQ GL2760-B
Case CoolerMaster CM 690 III
Audio Device(s) Speakers: Altec Lansing 251 | Microphone: Tonor Q9
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 Core
System Name Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-45-R715)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard AMD Promontory / Bixby FCH
Cooling Acer Nitro Sense
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Graphics (Cezanne) / NVIDIA RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
Storage WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ
Display(s) BOE CQ NE156QHM-NY3
Software Windows 11 beta channel
Processor Intel Core2 Duo E7500 2.93Ghz
Motherboard "Intel G31 express"
Cooling stock cooler w/ silver tape
Memory 2x 1GB 1x 2GB DDR2 667mhz
Video Card(s) Intel Graphics :(
Hi, I have exactly the same card as you (except mine has a power connector), I did a great study on this, and I will help you with some information that was very useful to me:

1. They are defective boards, which were recovered and turned into fake. This means that, if it's the same case as mine, your memories are defective, and only worked with clocks of at most 800mhz (1600mhz).

2. There is no compatible bios, it is necessary to modify the rom with a hex editor, only a skilled assembly programmer will be able to do that.

3. I was able to edit the rom so that it is no longer displayed as fake on gpu-z, and correctly recognized as GTS 450, however, I was unable to configure the memory, I was able to stably download the memory to 2GB. There are some mods out there that will make it show 1gb on gpu-z, but it doesn't work stable, as it will only stick 512mb (showing 1gb), as soon as the game exceeds 512mb it will crash.

4. Don't worry about PM25LD020, the bios is only 60kb, choose pm25LD10 it will record normally (this is just to tell the record company the memory size of the chip, if you say the chip is 128kb, when in fact it is 256 , the only thing that will happen is that it will only read 128kb from this chip.)

5. I recommend the 382.33 drivers, some cards are not 39x.xx compatible

I downloaded ALL firmware files from techpowerup, and used a diff program to analyze the files and find a rom that was at least similar. I only got rom from other fake cards. There is no compatible rom, because GDDR5 cards don't work with such low frequencies. By the way, I also searched for ddr3, and there was nothing like it. I opened them all up in a hex editor to compare. The one that came closest was Palit/gainward (the bios of this board was definitely modified from a palit/gainward, but the code part of the vram memory is different.

I'm sure it's palit/gainward, as this is the only manufacturer that doesn't use a board id, but an internal serial, for example:

Any board:
Copyright (C) 1996-2010 NVIDIA Corp.
GF106 Board - 10600011

Palit/gainward boards:
Copyright (C) 1996-2011 NVIDIA Corp.
BIOS-P/N@N7959

- I'd like to play around with her firmware more, but I don't have the peg, so I was forced to unsolder the chip and solder it to a 341 adapter every time I made changes. I did this over 100 times, until my two adapters failed. I don't have the money to buy the preacher right now. If you're willing, send me your rom, and I'll make the changes for you, then you save it to your board and see if it works.

Take a look at my last post for more information https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/fake-gtx960-help-finding-the-correct-bios.280962/page-2

Last edited:
Olá, tenho exatamente a mesma placa que você (exceto que a minha tem um conector de alimentação), fiz um ótimo estudo sobre isso, e vou te ajudar com algumas informações que foram muito úteis para mim:

1. São placas com defeito, que foram recuperadas e transformadas em falsas. Isso significa que, se for o mesmo caso que o meu, suas memórias estão com defeito, e só funcionavam com relógios de no máximo 800mhz (1600mhz).

2. Não há bios compatível, é necessário modificar a rom com um editor hexadecimal, apenas um programador de montagem qualificado será capaz de fazer isso.

3. Consegui editar a rom para que ela não fosse mais exibida como falsa no gpu-z e reconhecida corretamente como GTS 450, no entanto, não consegui configurar a memória, consegui baixar de forma estável a memória para 2 GB . Existem alguns mods por aí que farão com que ele mostre 1gb no gpu-z, mas não funciona de forma estável, uma vez que irá manter apenas 512 MB (mostrando 1 GB), assim que o jogo exceder 512 MB ele irá travar.

4. Não se preocupe com PM25LD020, o bios tem apenas 60kb, escolha pm25LD10 ele gravará normalmente (isso é apenas para informar a gravadora o tamanho da memória do chip, se você disser que o chip tem 128kb, quando na verdade é 256, a única coisa que acontecerá é que ele lerá apenas 128kb deste chip.)

5. Eu recomendo os drivers 382.33, algumas placas não são compatíveis com 39x.xx

Baixei TODOS os arquivos de firmware do techpowerup e usei um programa diff para analisar os arquivos e encontrar uma rom que fosse pelo menos semelhante. Eu só recebi rom de outros cartões falsos. Não há rom compatível, porque as placas GDDR5 não funciona com essas frequências baixas. A propósito, também procurei por ddr3 e não havia nada parecido. Abri todos eles em um editor hexadecimal para comparar. O que mais se aproximou foi Palit / gainward (a bios desta placa foi definitivamente modificada de palit / gainward, mas a parte do código da memória vram é diferente.

Tenho certeza que é palit / gainward, pois este é o fabricante único que não usa um id de placa, mas sim um serial interno, por exemplo:

Qualquer placa:
Placa GF106 - 10600011

Placas palit / gainward:
BIOS-P / N @ N7959

- Gostaria de brincar mais com o firmware dela, mas não tenho o pino, então fui forçado a dessoldar o chip e soldá-lo a um adaptador 341 toda vez que fiz alterações. Fiz isso mais de 100 vezes, até que meus dois adaptadores falharam. Não tenho dinheiro para comprar o pregador agora. Se estiver disposto, mande-me seu rom e farei como muda para você, depois salve-o em seu quadro e veja se funciona.

Dê uma olhada na minha última postagem para obter mais informações https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/fake-gtx960-help-finding-the-correct-bios.280962/pag

Olá, tenho exatamente a mesma placa que você (exceto que a minha tem um conector de alimentação), fiz um ótimo estudo sobre isso, e vou te ajudar com algumas informações que foram muito úteis para mim:

1. São placas com defeito, que foram recuperadas e transformadas em falsas. Isso significa que, se for o mesmo caso que o meu, suas memórias estão com defeito, e só funcionavam com relógios de no máximo 800mhz (1600mhz).

2. Não há bios compatível, é necessário modificar a rom com um editor hexadecimal, apenas um programador de montagem qualificado será capaz de fazer isso.

3. Consegui editar a rom para que ela não fosse mais exibida como falsa no gpu-z e reconhecida corretamente como GTS 450, no entanto, não consegui configurar a memória, consegui baixar de forma estável a memória para 2 GB . Existem alguns mods por aí que farão com que ele mostre 1gb no gpu-z, mas não funciona de forma estável, uma vez que irá manter apenas 512 MB (mostrando 1 GB), assim que o jogo exceder 512 MB ele irá travar.

4. Não se preocupe com PM25LD020, o bios tem apenas 60kb, escolha pm25LD10 ele gravará normalmente (isso é apenas para informar a gravadora o tamanho da memória do chip, se você disser que o chip tem 128kb, quando na verdade é 256, a única coisa que acontecerá é que ele lerá apenas 128kb deste chip.)

5. Eu recomendo os drivers 382.33, algumas placas não são compatíveis com 39x.xx

Baixei TODOS os arquivos de firmware do techpowerup e usei um programa diff para analisar os arquivos e encontrar uma rom que fosse pelo menos semelhante. Eu só recebi rom de outros cartões falsos. Não há rom compatível, porque as placas GDDR5 não funcionam com essas frequências baixas. A propósito, também procurei por ddr3 e não havia nada parecido. Abri todos eles em um editor hexadecimal para comparar. O que mais se aproximou foi Palit / gainward (a bios desta placa foi definitivamente modificada de palit / gainward, mas a parte do código da memória vram é diferente.

Tenho certeza que é palit / gainward, pois este é o único fabricante que não usa um id de placa, mas sim um serial interno, por exemplo:

Qualquer placa:
Placa GF106 - 10600011

Placas palit / gainward:
BIOS-P / N @ N7959

- Gostaria de brincar mais com o firmware dela, mas não tenho o pino, então fui forçado a dessoldar o chip e soldá-lo a um adaptador 341 toda vez que fiz alterações. Fiz isso mais de 100 vezes, até que meus dois adaptadores falharam. Não tenho dinheiro para comprar o pregador agora. Se estiver disposto, mande-me seu rom e farei as alterações para você, depois salve-o em seu quadro e veja se funciona.

Dê uma olhada na minha última postagem para obter mais informações https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/fake-gtx960-help-finding-the-correct-bios.280962/page-2
Por favor envie mensagem pra esse email marciom1martins635@gmail.com pra modificar minha rom pra 2gb q n estou conseguindo

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hi! I also have Pm25LQ020 BIOS chip in my XFX RX470 and I have error flashing using ATI Flash. I got error reading from ROM. This GPU is a dual BIOS, both BIOS can't be programmed.
I also tried 1 + 8 method. Actually I tried both 1 + 8 and 1 + 5 but still can't flash it.
So I bought a CH341 programmer, but it can't read the BIOS chip. Programmer is working fine, I've tried flashing other cards with no problem.
I also experience hard time clipping the chip with the clip included with the programmer so I've desoldered the chip and mount to the adapter that is also included in the programmer.
Still can't detect the chip.
I also noticed that the chip is becoming hot even with just a minute plugged in the programmer.

So my questions are.

1. do I have a damaged BIOS chip?

2. if yes, can I replace them with other BIOS chip? What are the possible chips to replace it?