• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ubisoft To Shut Down The Crew Servers On March 31st 2024 Deeming the Game Unplayable.

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
The Crew 1, including all its editions, and virtual currency packs, will be delisted from all online stores. The game will remain playable until March 31st, 2024, for all The Crew 1 owners. After this date, the servers will be shut down, which means that the game will not be accessible anymore on any platform, including PC / Xbox 360 / Xbox One / PlayStation 4 / Amazon Luna and Ubisoft+.
I enjoyed playing The Crew but what I didn't realise is that I never really 'owned' the game, but purchased a license to play it, obviously not ad-infinitum.
What worries me now is the state of my other favourite games like The Division which, although not ostensibly designed as single player, it's the way I play it. I never play multiplayer by choice and I was always under the impression that The Crew was mainly single player , but perhaps I was mistaken.
Ubisoft, in its announcement, then bangs on about how much The Crew means to the company, blah, blah, but we all have to move on and will never be able to play it again.
There are mutterings of an offline patch, but frankly I'm not hopeful.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Yeah the harsh reality kicks in when you meet it face to face right?

Ive played these games too but I kinda avoid them now and frankly also never really manage to get attached to them anymore. It just works that waywhen you dont control your content anymore. Fallout 76 was the last one I spent money on I think, and it just confirmed all fears I had about online gaming and/or any game that logs you into a games' servers before you can actually play. It could be gone tomorrow.

Its a shame, really, because I like games like The Division et al for many of the same reasons I like single player games. Heck I played MMOs as a solo'er lots of the time too. But between just vanishing overnight and the constant push to make you open your wallet.. I just cant anymore.

Oh shit no actually last game spent on was Darktide... another such game I cant truly fall in love with, so much potential and yet...

Last edited:
System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
They dream to turn gaming into "Games as a Service". Shutting down games whenever they want. :shadedshu: Here's some literature:

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
2K does this with all their MP franchises too. Bought NBA 2K, you will be guaranteed screwed in a few years after that year number version is pass the sale date. It's the biggest scam that isn't really talked about much.

System Name Stugots V
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright PA-120 Black
Memory 2 x 16GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual RTX 4070
Storage 500GB WD SN750 | 2TB WD SN750 | 6TB WD Red +
Display(s) Dell S2716DG (1440p / 144Hz)
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element | Audioengine HD3 + A8 | Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro (250)
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Leopold FC750R
Software Win 10 Pro x64
^ Which is even more BS since most sports games are just glorified roster updates (looking at you Madden)...

AsRock

TPU addict
And all because they want control, as the one thing that would solve this would to make games with dedi servers that the user could run.

They don't want to do this of course.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
2K does this with all their MP franchises too. Bought NBA 2K, you will be guaranteed screwed in a few years after that year number version is pass the sale date. It's the biggest scam that isn't really talked about much.
Its not a scam though, people know this by now.

The power of peer pressure and tiny minds. You can't fix stupid. We could regulate a bit better though.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Honestly, at this point I feel like it should be somehow mandatory for the devs of such “live service” games to either release an offline patch before shutting down the servers, or being obligated to release the code for the server structure so that community can run their own. You know, that thing Ross Scott is always harping on about.
Not going to happen, obviously, but this is such a goddamn waste in terms of game preservation. And people wonder why I refer to AAA games as disposable products.

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95

The power of peer pressure and tiny minds. You can't fix stupid. We could regulate a bit better though.
Ofc its a fkn scam. They don't print anywhere on the ads or any literature that the game is going to poof disappear in a few years. There is no warning ppl from buying DLC that all that is again going to poof before they buy it. Not everyone knows lmao. SCAM!!!

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
YouTuber, Accursed Farms is considering taking legal action against Ubisoft over this and has asked his subscribers to email him in order to gain more plaintiffs for the lawsuit.
How this will transpire is anyone's guess and he maintains that it's a legal grey area.

Processor AMD 5900x
Cooling Hardware Labs
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
YouTuber, Accursed Farms is considering taking legal action against Ubisoft over this and has asked his subscribers to email him in order to gain more plaintiffs for the lawsuit.
How this will transpire is anyone's guess and he maintains that it's a legal grey area.
It's gonna be a helluva mountain to climb, but I wish that tuber and his army of 330k followers whom I assume to have bought said game are able to turn this into something that gains traction.

D

Deleted member 57642

That's the worrying part - even pure cringe for Non-NPC humans: It looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck... but it's not a Duck, anymore... simply because it's something that was stipulated in the EULA (End-user license agreement)/TOS (Terms of Service) - and nobody reeds those - just smashes the Accept button to play their game. For the time being at least - cause the EULA/TOS clearly says something like: "If you're stupid enough to spend money on our Games... Services - we can't help but laugh in your face - while reminding you that it's within our legal rights to end your account - just because we woke-up in the wrong side of the bed and feel like hurting someone that day."

Wish this was just a meme/joke but almost every EULA/TOS actually says that - even tho the wording is sugarcoated. :banghead:

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Good luck. I would like to play Marvel Heroes, remember that ARPG? It wasn't even like people were not playing it. Then it had no direct sequel either so good luck on that one.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Ofc its a fkn scam. They don't print anywhere on the ads or any literature that the game is going to poof disappear in a few years. There is no warning ppl from buying DLC that all that is again going to poof before they buy it. Not everyone knows lmao. SCAM!!!
But so many online games have come and gone. You can't not know this if you played online at least once. And even if it was printed, you can't really imagine what the feels are like unless you've experienced it once. Another big thing about online games vanishing is the way and the timing of them going out. Some go gracefully. Others are literally ripped out of your stomach.

They also don't print that they will use patches to keep the game 'interesting'. Whichever way that works, but mostly its just rehashing stats a bit so people play something else in the game for a while.

Still I get what you're saying. But where do you stop? I do agree with you, some disclaimer / some fat bar under every ad saying the game is a temporary thing wouldn't hurt.

That's the worrying part - even pure cringe for Non-NPC humans: It looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck... but it's not a Duck, anymore... simply because it's something that was stipulated in the EULA (End-user license agreement)/TOS (Terms of Service) - and nobody reeds those - just smashes the Accept button to play their game. For the time being at least - cause the EULA/TOS clearly says something like: "If you're stupid enough to spend money on our Games... Services - we can't help but laugh in your face - while reminding you that it's within our legal rights to end your account - just because we woke-up in the wrong side of the bed and feel like hurting someone that day."

Wish this was just a meme/joke but almost every EULA/TOS actually says that - even tho the wording is sugarcoated. :banghead:
Yep they truly do say that. Luckily we already know the EULA isn't worth a whole lot when it encounters actual law.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
But so many online games have come and gone. You can't not know this if you played online at least once. And even if it was printed, you can't really imagine what the feels are like unless you've experienced it once. Another big thing about online games vanishing is the way and the timing of them going out. Some go gracefully. Others are literally ripped out of your stomach.

They also don't print that they will use patches to keep the game 'interesting'. Whichever way that works, but mostly its just rehashing stats a bit so people play something else in the game for a while.

Still I get what you're saying. But where do you stop? I do agree with you, some disclaimer / some fat bar under every ad saying the game is a temporary thing wouldn't hurt.
Or, you know, the developers can just stop locking down the bloody online infrastructure to their proprietary MM services and make dedicated user hosted servers at least an OPTION. Hell, give the users an option of hosting an offline instance to experience all the content that isn’t directly tied to live updates and make it clear. I remember goddamn Blizzard explaining how Diablo 3 cannot possibly be offline since all the loot drops are server side. Like… nobody forced you to do it this way? Hell, you YOURSELVES acknowledged that it can work perfectly fine with the console release that had a full offline mode. That you never ported to the PC version because… reasons.
It might not all be a straight up scam, but it IS scummy to the extreme and hurts the hobby and the industry in the long run.

Back the 90s and early 2000s there used to be gamespy and allseeingeye which broadcasted multiplayer games being run. They should go back to this type of setup. Why lock multplayer? Open it up and let everyone play and host whatever they want. It used to be this way. The industry should go back to it.

D

Deleted member 57642

True, games like Ultima Online - set an unreachable standard. I mean, that MMO was released in 1997 and just can't die. This is from last month

"12/5/2023

Greetings,
We are pleased to announce Publish 116.3 is being deployed World Wide during each shard’s regularly scheduled maintenance beginning 12/6/2023. Please review the latest publish notes and happy holidays!
See you in Britannia,"

It's even more surprising (shocking - would be a better world), that this game was bought, is currently owned and published by Evil Arts.

Never played that one (kept hearing about it - around 2 decades ago - but even then its graphics proved to be a turn off for me - especially since it required a monthly fee). I did play Linage II for quite some time - and checked its status just now (out of curiosity), and... how about that: https://www.lineage2.com/en-us :twitch:

In all honesty, was expecting both of above titles - to be long gone. I'm actually among those - who can accept (even seems logical) - the death of a game that's long overdue. So, it wasn't really about that (the expectations to keep a dead horse in comma - breathing with the help of machines - just cause there's someone who's still fond of beating it). More like... you pay for something and they give you something else latter on - cause they changed the TOS/EULA. Could even be a Game (well Service or Brand) - that's still going strong and might have 10 more years of mileage - and yet - the "redefined" EUALA/TOS still says makes fun of you for pressing the Accept and still using their service. To make things worst - you're mainly laugh at for being a paying customer. At least the F2P crowd lost only time, then again... that's way way worst - cause Time is the most valuable currency. Tho, since I'm playing the game of society - i have to at least pretend that money makes the world go around. This being a practical/pragmatic debate. So yeah, you paid for a 3 star service and keep paying for years - then one day they just shut the doors to the club (while the music is still playing) - they give you a dildo and tell you to get lost (cause they sure did - lost all your info including the wallet filled with $100 bills).

Short story: They're normalizing/legalizing scamming as a practice - with the help of an EULA/TOS - and calling it a Service. And sure, an old school Judge is not buying it. But this bilion $ corps have an army of lawyers - and usually takes a mob of complaints for them to loose a case - related to one of this services.

That being said, IMO - the legal system NEEDS to be updated - to regularize this services and compel this modern scammers to actually give you what you're paying for. As in - actual ownership of that service, something you can download on a personal/private storage - even allowed "resell it" if you invested your time and money in that "service" but no longer use/want for whatever reason (another right that's been taken away by some gaming companies).

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Today when I opened Steam, there was a 140Mb download for The Crew which gave me the misguided impression that perhaps Ubisoft had relented on it decision to remove the game from its servers and thus make it totally unplayable.
Anyway, it turned out to be nothing more than a Ubisoft Connect update and although the game sort of launches, you have to quit because it can't locate the servers, blah, blah.
I then spotted a Steam post "Offline mode being developed by fans". It's a server emulator/revival project, so let's see how that goes!
EDIT

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Yeah its sad state of affairs.

I think if the player base is dwindled enough then the servers could likely be ran on VPS's. The cost of hosting scales down with the player base.

Square Enix approach to their online elements if I remember right has been something like this.

Lightning returns had online content during its initial year, but they didnt keep the servers online for every long, I am pretty sure within 18 months of launch, all online stuff was turned off in game, however interestingly it does still have online DRM checks. FF13-2 still has its online DRM checks as well.

FF15 comrades was developed primarily as a online multiplayer DLC for FF15, although you can choose to play it on your own with AI, to play the DLC you have to login to the online servers, regardless if multiplayer or not. Originally the game had 3 servers for NA, EU and Asia. Now wherever you are in the world you always login to the Asia server, NA and EU were shutdown some time ago, but they didnt completely pull the plug, just reduced the infrastructure. The console version daily quest isnt accessible anymore I read (not tested), but it is on the PC.
FF15 main game allowed players to use their comrades avatars (appearance) to replace the main character Noctis in game and players hiding treasures for each other, but I never experienced it, they introduced the feature after I stopped playing it, and it was removed in the last patch before my new run. Apparently this feature caused a lot of stuttering though. I expect the feature removal tied in with the infrastructure downgrade.

I tend to try to stick to offline only games. Although is a few exceptions every now and then.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential White
Keyboard Galax Stealth STL-03
Software Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 24H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Yeah its sad state of affairs.

I think if the player base is dwindled enough then the servers could likely be ran on VPS's. The cost of hosting scales down with the player base.

Square Enix approach to their online elements if I remember right has been something like this.

Lightning returns had online content during its initial year, but they didnt keep the servers online for every long, I am pretty sure within 18 months of launch, all online stuff was turned off in game, however interestingly it does still have online DRM checks. FF13-2 still has its online DRM checks as well.

FF15 comrades was developed primarily as a online multiplayer DLC for FF15, although you can choose to play it on your own with AI, to play the DLC you have to login to the online servers, regardless if multiplayer or not. Originally the game had 3 servers for NA, EU and Asia. Now wherever you are in the world you always login to the Asia server, NA and EU were shutdown some time ago, but they didnt completely pull the plug, just reduced the infrastructure. The console version daily quest isnt accessible anymore I read (not tested), but it is on the PC.
FF15 main game allowed players to use their comrades avatars (appearance) to replace the main character Noctis in game and players hiding treasures for each other, but I never experienced it, they introduced the feature after I stopped playing it, and it was removed in the last patch before my new run. Apparently this feature caused a lot of stuttering though. I expect the feature removal tied in with the infrastructure downgrade.

I tend to try to stick to offline only games. Although is a few exceptions every now and then.

Only because that's Final Fantasy - the rest of the games? They kill them off mercilessly. Even if they're fairly successful in their own right - if they're not pulling big numbers, SQEX will shutdown and pretend it never existed. What they did to NieR Re[in]carnation is unforgivable, that game was a love letter to every NieR fan, sure it was niche, but just the Japanese whales could have kept the game afloat and profitable for years to come. Extremely passionate fandom and I loved it dearly, and no offline version was provided.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I remember the good ol days of Quake II multiplayer where you could host your own server, or join known public servers that you found listed on websites that logged known hosts. Add the IP address or URL to your config list and then pick the one you want to join. It would even show you how full each server was. To this day, you can still play MP. There might even still be active servers out there. Studio hosting services sound good, but it's a dead end if that's the only way to play the game.

System Name Kuro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D@65W
Motherboard MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO
Memory Corsair DDR5 6000C30 2x48GB (Hynix M)@6000 30-36-36-48 1.36V
Video Card(s) PNY XLR8 RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16G@200W
Storage Crucial T500 2TB + WD Blue 8TB
Case Lian Li LANCOOL 216
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7
Power Supply MSI MPG A850G
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS + Windows 10 Home Build 19045
Benchmark Scores 17761 C23 Multi@65W
I don't mean to go strawman philosophical, but just maybe it would be helpful to recall that the time, itself, is limited in the end. Enjoy it while it lasts. :oops:

Doesn't stop me from limiting myself to entirely offline and DRM-free games these days, though! And none of that quite make it feel any better when they take it away, even if it's legal on paper. Not when PC gaming started for many with physical media, with no expectation from anyone to take those away after certain amount of time.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Also don't forget that killing off games gives the studios the option to "remaster" it and then rerelease it and make money off of it again. Gone are the days where these games were made by people who liked to play as much as we did.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Also don't forget that killing off games gives the studios the option to "remaster" it and then rerelease it and make money off of it again. Gone are the days where these games were made by people who liked to play as much as we did.
Hence why if it is not DRM free and requires the internet, I never pay more then rent price. $10 tops. Same price I paid to rent a game for a week as a teen.