• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Undervolting i9-14900HX

System Name Lenovo Legion Pro 7i
Processor 24-Core i9-14900HX (5.8 GHz)
Motherboard N/A
Cooling Legion ColdFront: Vapor
Memory 32GB DDR5 @5600MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 12GB 175W
Storage 2TB
Display(s) 16" WQXGA (2560 x 1600), IPS, 240Hz
Case Lenovo
Audio Device(s) 2 x 2W Harman Super Linear Speaker System - Nahimic Audio
Power Supply 330W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V4 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
I recently purchased a Legion Pro 7i, and plan on starting the (potentially) lengthy process of finding the highest, stable undervolt I can possibly get. I know I need to disable Thermal Velocity Boost, but does anyone have any other tips about settings or anything else before I get started?

Appreciate any input!

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I would start with the core and the P cache set to -100 mV. Also set mV Boost to 100. The ThrottleStop mV Boost feature in the FIVR window can help with stability when undervolting.

If the above is stable try setting all of the above, including mV Boost to -125 mV or -150 mV.

If you are stable at -125 mV, try running Cinebench for a baseline score. After that bump only the core to -150 mV and then -175 mV. Does increasing only the core offset improve your Cinebench scores or reduce temperatures when running Cinebench?

Once you are confident that the above voltages are 100% stable, you can start working on adjusting the E Cache voltage in ThrottleStop. Start at -100 mV and see how things go. If stable try more, if not stable try less.

The 13900HX and 14900HX are very similar. You should be able to find some YouTube videos that show ThrottleStop undervolt settings for these processors. Spend lots of time testing with your fav games. Some CPUs need a little more voltage to be game stable compared to how much voltage they need to be Cinebench stable. No need to immediately find the perfect voltage settings. Take your time. Make small adjustments and keep track of what you are doing so if you reach a point where you are not stable, you can easily go back to the previous voltage setting that was stable.