• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrading a Dell XPS 8700

Maineiac

Hi everyone. I have a Dell XPS 8700 that needs better cooling. It's an i7 3.6ghz, 8gb DDR3 1600 RAM. I have an Nvidia 1050 t1 video, and it's running a bit hot. This case has only 1 rear fan. I'd like to change out the case, but from what I have gathered it may be hard to get one to work with the way the Dell power button is wired. Also, there is only 1 chassis fan connector, a 3 pin I believe. How would I power up multiple fans? I am considering this case: https://www.newegg.com/black-montech-air900-elegant/p/2AM-00CN-00003

Any advice would really be appreciated. I am on a very limited budget, so I cannot afford anything outrageous. Thanks

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Do you have a link to your source about the power button issue?

If you remove the side panel of your Dell and follow the wires from the front panel power switch, where do they go? If they are two wires from the switch that look something like this that connect to two pins on the motherboard, then connecting the power button should not be a problem.

However, Dell has a long history of using proprietary parts and configurations that don't comply with the industry standard, the ATX Form Factor. :( This means moving the power supply or motherboard itself to a new case may present challenges too.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
You can power more fans using molex connectors. Adding a fan to the bottom front of the case and the side panel slit will help with air flow.

I would check the I/O connectors before any move as Bill stated they are notorious for using proprietory hardware.

Maineiac

I googled for info and this older thread popped up. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/switching-dell-xps-8700-to-new-case.2565416/

The power supply won't be an issue. I am using a Thermaltake TR2- 600w that I had on a build I did a few years ago.

Case fancier than yours
I'm on my phone so it's hard to tell from your pic even when I zoom in but #18 your power button does look proprietory. Looking at the message board you linked it has people splicing the power and reset wires to make them work. It's doable but is it really worth the hassle?

Also what is a "bit hot"?

Last edited:

Maineiac

My Firestorm shows the GPU running around 60c when playing games. That seems pretty hot.

Case fancier than yours
My Firestorm shows the GPU running around 60c when playing games. That seems pretty hot.
You have zero issues. 60c for a gpu while gaming is cold. You can worry about case air flow when it's constantly above 80c while gaming.

Case fancier than yours

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Maineiac

I was thinking of a better fan, since they aren't expensive. Thanks for the suggestion.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Its a crap case designed to be serviceable for a lot of their machines on as many product lines as possible. if they can get away with using the same case for as long as they can with all of their models then thats what they will do as it will save them money from having to contact their manufacturer and have them retool all their machines to make newer cases, not to mention all the extra materials they have to pay for for something more fancy.

Its all made to meet a certain budget.

Maineiac

Well, SSD and fan are on the way. I also got the cable so I can mirror my Windows HD onto the SSD. Should be a simple process, at least I hope it will be lol.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
get a 120mm bi metal hole saw and make some new fan holes

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
get a 120mm bi metal hole saw and make some new fan holes
We used to do this often back in the day - making "blowhole" (top) fan locations. Blowhole fans are very effective at increasing cooling efficiency but if your case sits on or near the floor, the top mounted fan may produce some undesirable fan noise. And I hate fan noise!

One word of caution - take everything out of the case before drilling your 6 holes (one pilot hole, one big hole for the air vent plus 4 mounting screw holes) and before edge grinding/finishing. Then blast out (or even carefully hose out) the interior to ensure no metal filings fall onto or into any of the electronics, or are left behind. A pain, but worth it.

You will need a grill too and I recommend getting a quality diamond lapidary wheel to finish the edges to save your knuckles from the jagged edge caused by the saw. Blood is hard to clean up. Last, covering the cut edge with edge trim gives it a professional appearance and offers more protection for your knuckles from the sharp edge of the sheet metal. Note that some local hardware stores sell this edge trim by the foot. You might check some auto parts stores too for car door edging/molding - but I have found case sheet metal to be too thin for the automotive variety.

Be sure to position the fan hole far enough back so the mounted fan does not interfere with an optical drive - but not so far back that it interferes with a top mounted power supply. You may have to opt for a 92mm or 80mm fan if not enough room so before to measure before buying the hole saw. But note smaller fans tend to make more noise as they must spin faster to move the same amount of air as larger fans. :( I really hate fan noise!

Since blowhole fans typically exhaust heated air out, you won't need an air filter. But if you decide to cut the hole in the side panel for an intake fan, a dust filer might be a good idea. But note side panel fans sometimes disrupt the desired flow of air through the case and in some situations, actually degrade cooling - unless they blow directly into a tube and channel the air directly onto the CPU or GPU. But also understand side panel fans cause more vibration in the large panels - thus may make more noise. Did I mention I hate fan noise?

If all this seems like a lot of money, it is. So I would not invest that sort of money unless adding fan holes to cases is something you will do more than once. If this is likely the one and only time, then I would just go for a new, quality and quiet case instead.

Maineiac

I am actually going to try to install an intake fan at the front of my case. The front bezel is easily removed and the plastic can be modified to make room for a 120mm fan. There's plenty of holes in the front of the metal, and I can easily feed a molex power connector through to power it. The fan should mount easily enough. Do you know where I could get a mesh screen or filter that I could install in the bezel? I was thinking of making a hole and covering it with something that looks decent. No metal work involved at all.

Last edited:
Case fancier than yours
I am actually going to try to install an intake fan at the front of my case. The front bezel is easily removed and the plastic can be modified to make room for a 120mm fan. There's plenty of holes in the front of the metal, and I can easily feed a molex power connector through to power it. The fan should mount easily enough. Do you know where I could get a mesh screen or filter that I could install in the bezel? I was thinking of making a hole and covering it with something that looks decent. No metal work involved at all.
You can buy fan dust filters on Amazon and Newegg or simply use a screen door/window repair kit.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro

If you google adding a fan to your case there are countless numbers of threads where owners have said they werent able to because the case didnt support it. Some of these hits are even from the Dell community forums themselves.

I think Dell are running with some antiquated system where OEMs used to have plastic 'shrouds' that would house the fan that could simply 'clip in' inside the case - Every big mainstream OEM builder like HP, CompaQ, IBM, Fujitsu etc etc etc used to do this.

If adding a fan was easy and straightforward - why did the guy in the link i posted in my previous post have to get power tools involved??

Honestly - google it if you havent already done it.

Maineiac

Buuuut...if you connect the fan directly to your power supply, it will always be on, right? No thermostat involved. Looks to me like it's just a matter of making room. And maybe some minor drilling if the holes don't line up for attaching the fan. Could even use tie-wraps if all else fails. I will google it though. Thanks.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Buuuut...if you connect the fan directly to your power supply, it will always be on, right?
Not only will it always be on, but it will always run at full speed and loudness. However, you can always get a fan speed controller.

Maineiac

Oh nice, they also have those with temp readouts. This gives me ideas! Thanks