• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

UV & idle voltages

Intrepidity

I can achieve a higher UV using "high performance" than any "balanced" mode as it maintain the idle frequency higher. Due to current uncertainty regarding Intel 13th and 14th gen CPU's I'll stick with balanced until further notice to not keep voltages higher than needed at idle for my 13900HX. I do use the "mV Boost @ 800 MHz" option which is currently at 150, but I still tend to crash with regular idle frequency 2GHz +/-. I can do stable -185 core at high performance while I max out at about -145 core using balanced mode. Any tricks I'm not aware of that won't increase idle frequency and voltage?

(I would love to mainly apply UV at high frequencies. Something like the turbo groups table, just for percentage of UV applied would be amazing. Probably a horrible idea based on lack of understanding of the technical limitations. Apply at MP above defined value.
MP46 100% (ex -185mV at MP46 and above)
MP40 80%
MP36 60%
MP32 40% (ex -185mV * 0,4 = -74mV)
(...)
)

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
The best trick is to enable the core C states. When a core has nothing to do, it will enter the low power C7 state. This disconnects idle cores from the internal clock so they are running at 0 MHz. It also disconnects the core from the voltage rail so it is getting 0 volts. No need to use the Balanced power plan to slow the CPU down. I enable the C states and run my 10850K at a constant 5000 MHz. Idle power consumption and temperatures are fantastic because the 10 cores are not doing anything.

Idle voltage that most monitoring software reports when a CPU is idle in C7 is meaningless. Whatever voltage is reported is not actually going to any cores that are in C7.

The idle core temps tell the real story. Individual cores are averaging 99% of their time in C7.

1721421411493.png

1721421895424.png

Intrepidity

Appreciate the response. Idle temps and power consumption are not an issue. I just want to be sure to minimize the risk of CPU degrading over time. C states enabled and idle cores spend most time in C7. The preferred cores are however more active during light load and would have a high voltage applied using high performance mode. I used to have it configured pretty much like you, but changed due to 13900 and 14900 series CPU's seemingly degrading even at lower power levels. Issues could be caused be the preferred cores degrading first due to voltage, no idea. There are also theories regarding traces, cache/ring degradation being the issue. I suppose the best course of action might be to just wait as I assume we will get to know exactly what's causing the issues at some point in the not to distant future. Laptop CPU's might or might not be affected. (Servers running the same CPU at identical power levels to my laptop have issues with CPU's degrading. You probably have more info than me anyhow.)

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
The root of the problem might be the very high turbo ratios and high voltage used when 1 or 2 cores are active. If you are worried about longevity, I would reduce the maximum P core turbo ratios. Post a screenshot of the ThrottleStop FIVR window if you want me to have a look. 6000 MHz for single core work loads sounds impressive but not worth it if the extra voltage might be the cause of premature degradation.

You probably have more info than me anyhow.
I know about this issue but I have not been gathering info like my typical OCD self. Intel has pushed their CPUs to the limit. I guess this was not such a good idea for long term durability.