• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

was transfering images and the nvme was on 0kb/s then said not responding

transferring images I shot. it was erratic at times with speeds. and then it went to 0kbs/ and said not responding. the drive is 2 months old. I did chkdsk with a restart. took 7 minutes and all was good. w10 doesnt show anything regarding its findings. is there a slash letter that can give a log? I did /r

lexar NM790 1tb. I transfer files with an kingston sd card reader 3.2 and memory cards are lexar 128gb sd UHSII. ive seen this combo goto 250MB/s

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
transferring images I shot. it was erratic at times with speeds. and then it went to 0kbs/ and said not responding. the drive is 2 months old. I did chkdsk with a restart. took 7 minutes and all was good. w10 doesnt show anything regarding its findings. is there a slash letter that can give a log? I did /r

lexar NM790 1tb.

You are a TPU user since Sept 23, 2023 and you still haven't filled your system specs...

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
I have 4 pc's and a laptop. this one is ryzen 5600x gtx 1060 32gb
Motherboard model? Is there a ssd heatsink? Is it mounted properly? One possibility is overheating.

Personally I will threat a one time crash as something that can happen sometimes. If it happen more times you probably have an issue.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
Memory card - as in flash storage over USB inside a card reader that can easily overheat or lose connection?

Reading back that sentence I see at least a few prominent failure modes that would come directly to mind long before an otherwise functional NVMe drive.

Motherboard model? Is there a ssd heatsink? Is it mounted properly? One possibility is overheating.

Personally I will threat a one time crash as something that can happen sometimes. If it happen more times you probably have an issue.
I wont take any chance. rma on the nvme. I cant take any chance. b550m aorus elite.

Memory card - as in flash storage over USB inside a card reader that can easily overheat or lose connection?

Reading back that sentence I see at least a few prominent failure modes that would come directly to mind long before an otherwise functional NVMe drive.
I shoot tons of pictures as a pro. for years. never had an issue with any transfer. I did have corrupt files year back, but it was a bad reader.

sd card isnt overheating. it only comes out slightly warm. it cant overheat if its on 0kb/s and not transfering anything cause the nvme is hanging.

I RMA the lexar nvme. I love lexar brand but im not taking any chance with my pictures. firecuda in another pc runs like a monster with tons of files. you throw anything at it and it never hiccups. this lexar is supposedly faster and is worrying me . temps are up to 57-58 at the end. but the lock up happened towards the first 10% of the whole transfer so it didnt have a long time of even working/heating up.

Do the full ~

Also this was from the card or to it & anything happened just before it stopped transferring?
I transfer things to the disk through either sd card/reader, or a sata ssd with a usb connector. for programs and drivers I installed. it also seemed to hesitate with that. it seems to hang for a few seconds before starting the transfer. and boot up seems longer then even my offline windows 7/ firecuda pc. both these pc have important images for editing. I was expecting this nvme to detroy the firecuda 520 or at least match it as its specs are higer and its running at 4.0/4x and the firecuda is 4.0 but in a 3x pci motherboard

lexar nvme has to go. complete bummer. I need to clone this over to an ssd., I think ill install the lexar ssd to the ryzen pc and then when I get the nvme back, ill use it to do the workload on editing and keep sata ssd for os and programs only.

dissapointed with lexar on this. I have many of their UHSII memory cards and 2 ssd. im thinking this nvme is new to the market and may have bugs it needs fixing

btw with chkdsk it gives no information other then showing percentage of the scan wiht the windows logo and then when its done load w10.

is there a way to see a log of the drive scan?

found it here ForceOfflineFix

Last edited: