• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Launches Nintendo Licensed SanDisk Pokémon microSD Cards

Nomad76

News Editor
Staff member
Western Digital announced it has expanded its portfolio of Nintendo-licensed SanDisk microSD cards with the launch of new cards inspired by Pokémon, one of the world's most successful entertainment franchises. In partnership with The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo, Western Digital is introducing the SanDisk Pokémon Snorlax microSD Card (1 TB), the SanDisk Pokémon Gengar microSD Card (512 GB) and the SanDisk Pokémon Pikachu microSD Card (256 GB).

Built for the popular Nintendo Switch Systems, the SanDisk Pokémon microSD cards allow users to add games to their libraries instead of doing the extra work of downloading, deleting and re-downloading games to make more space. The unique design of the SanDisk Pokémon card series captures the likeness of iconic Pokémon first discovered in the Kanto region of the Pokémon world, making these cards a must have for fans across the globe.

The SanDisk microSD cards are licensed cards for the Nintendo Switch Systems. The new cards provide handheld gamers with ultra-reliable SanDisk brand performance driven by custom Flash Management Techniques which means gameplay stays uninterrupted. With up to 100 MB/s read speeds and up to 90 MB/s write speeds, gamers can enjoy moving onto the next level seamlessly.

"We're excited to bring new and unique memory cards to the Pokémon community through our continued partnership with Nintendo," said Susan Park, Vice President, Consumer Products & Strategic Partnerships, Western Digital. "For more than 28 years, the Pokémon brand has captured and continues to capture the hearts and minds of gamers and fans globally. Together we are helping fans get the most out of their gaming experience."

Pricing for the SanDisk Pokémon Snorlax microSD Card (1 TB) will start at $129.99 MSRP, the SanDisk Pokémon Gengar microSD Card (512 GB) will start at $54.99 MSRP, and the SanDisk Pokémon Pikachu microSD Card (256 GB) will start at $32.99 MSRP. The new cards will be available for purchase through the Western Digital Store, and select e-tailers and retailers.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name B20221017 Pro SP1 R2 Gaming Edition
Processor AMD Ryzen 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus ProArt X670E-Creator
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR5-6000 CL30 64GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB + Samsung 870 Evo 4TB
Display(s) Samsung CF791 Curved Ultrawide
Case NZXT H7 Flow
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software Windows 11
These are going to be constantly out of stock everywhere.

Over here, right where you can't see me !
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Do cookies come with these milk products, or do we have to buy them separately ?

I prefer chocolate chip, or chewy peanut butter btw :D

Sunlight91

So after 20+ years of Pokemon franchise and 9 generations they still use only GEN1 Pokemon. Can you even play Gen1 on Switch?

Datasheet if anyone is interested

512GB1 SanDisk® Pokémon™ Gengar microSD™ Card for Nintendo Switch™ (Up to 100MB/s2 read speed, up to 90MB/s2 write speed, 4K UHD,3 V30, U3)

A bad datasheet from sandisk and western digital. I did not expect anything else.

Looking up missing information:

• V30 (Video Speed Class 30): minimum write speed of 30MB/s
  • U3 (UHS Speed Class 3): minimum write speed of 30MB/s

Nonsense to market the same "write speed" with two different standards.

Anyway, no guaranteed read speed.

System Name Hulk
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming Wi-Fi
Cooling Custom water
Memory 32GB 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) 4090
Display(s) LG 42C2 + Gigabyte Aorus FI32U 32" 4k 120Hz IPS
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 700
Keyboard Logitech G815 GL-Tactile
VR HMD Quest 2
Omg I want the Gengar one! I know it's dumb, especially considering you won't even see it when it's in the unit, but I still really want it!