• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What fixed stuttering and random framerate spikes in games for me

aska33j

Hi everyone! this marks my first post here

I was experiencing stuttering in every game. I have spent months trying to find a solution and had no luck. i couldnt even tell what the issue was and that alone was frustrating
PC SPECS:

- Ryzen 5 5600 PBO 4.65ghz
- Radeon RX 6600 UV+OC
-KINGSTON FURY 16gb 3200mhz
- ASUS B450MK2
- ADATA SU680 1tb
- MSI MAG 600W
Win 10 pro

Explaining the issue:
in every game i played i had random frame spikes. the stutter was very noticible and was annoying. the spikes happen when entering a new scene or for example a random explosion and the game would stutter. if you`ve experienced this you know what i mean.

What i tried

- updated the bios
- XPM on and off
- hpet on and off
- Cstate on and off
- ULPS on and off
- Disable ftpm
- High performance and balanced power plan no difference
- SAM on and off
- Tried default clocks
- stress test ram cpu and gpu
- played offline
and many more i forgot

ive tried every combination of settings just to see what helps in hopes to dignose what the issue was and pinpointing the source of the stutter. was it the cpu, gpu windows, ram?

And the solution is:
lets start with windows then bios
download power plan explorer https://www.mediafire.com/file/wt37sbsejk7iepm/PowerSettingsExplorer.zip
run as admin
Capture2.PNG

uncheck the options i pointed and hit apply at the bottom. do not touch anything else. All this does is show the options in the power settings.

Go to power settings and select balaned plan> change advanced power settings.
go to pci express > link power settings > OFF.
processor power management > core parking min cores 100% > idle demote 100% > idle promote 100% >minimum processor state 5% > maximum processor state 100%.
press apply and ok. reboot windows

open device manager and disable high precision event timer (HPET) under system devices

Disable ULPS> open registry editor press control+F and search for EnableUlps and change the value from 1 to 0.
we are done with the changes on windows. Just make sure you have the latest drivers for cpu and chipsets

now onto bios

XPM ON
SAM ON
ftpm disable
GLOBAL CState disable
Navigate to ( depends on what motherboard you have ) ASUS amd CBS/ CPPC DISABLE/ CPPC preferred core DISABLE. This option had the most impact. literally no more stutters for me.

I have been testing these settings for the past 3 weeks now and i can finally the frame spikes are completely gone. ive tried many games; The First Descendant, Space Marine 2, Granblue Relink, CS2, RE4, Lies of P, HITMAN.
keep in mind some games run like trash or have stutters no matter what your hardware is. like resident evil 4 with the scope or traversal stutter or Hogwarts legacy.

I hope this fixes everything for you. if i remembered any other settings i changed ill post it here.