• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Whats the difference between TUF gaming 4070 ti super oc and non oc?

System Name my system
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Rog strix b550 gaming wifi II
Cooling noctua nh-u12s se-am4
Memory corsair vengeance 32gb (2x16) 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce 8g (planning to upgrade to an asus TUF 4070 TI super soon)
Storage 1x 240gb kingston ssd (win) 1x500gb kingston m.2 1x1tb 870 evo ssd 2x1tb hdd (storage)
Display(s) gigabyte aorus cv27f
Case Sharkoon Rebel c50 RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative soundblaster x-ae5 plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 ATX 3.0
Mouse Logitech g502x
Keyboard Microsoft ernomic buisness
VR HMD none
Software win 11 64 bit home
Benchmark Scores To be tested, so none yet
Hello there.

Time is coming up soon that i can replace my 2070 with a 4070 ti super.
I heard that gigabyte aint as good anymore as they were when i bought my 2070, so since i switched from a normal asus mobo to an rog strix mobo, i thought to give asus a chance as well for my next gpu.
This means that i could either go for the rtx 4070 TUF non oc as the cheapest option, the TUF oc version as the middle one, and the rog strix version as the most expensive one.

Honestly, i think im not going for the rog strix here, as that one is around 100/120 euro more expansive compared to the TUF ones, and there goes my question.

I found out that the base clock of both the oc and the non oc are the same, and that the boost clock of the oc one is around 30 mhz higher compared to the non oc version.
Simply put for the older ones here on the forum: I owned a 386pc 25mhz pc back in my youth, so its basicly only that higher, and only for the boost clock.

So, is that the only thing? And does it really justify the premium price of around 40-50 euro more?
And while were talking about the price premium. Is the rog strix one that much better then the tuf one?

So, if someone have some (extensive) info about this, that would me much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings from Martijn

Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI B650 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NHU12S
Memory 2x16 GB GSKILL 6000MHZ CL28
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900 GRE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 PRO
Display(s) LG 32GP750 31.5" 2K QHD (2560 x 1440) 165Hz Gaming Monitor
Case Coolermater HAF 650
Audio Device(s) BeyerDynamic Amiron Home
Power Supply Seasonic 850W Gold
That is the only difference. No justification for the premium.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
Just buy the base model it's the same as the oc varient likely performs the same as well. The strix is a waste of money if asus included a better warranty or it actually performed better in a meaningful way sure but it doesn't so unless the aesthetics are worth the price premium to you skip it.

The oc models are almost always for sucker's who fall for marketing BS.

In my experiences other than Nvidia direct CS is trash from every aib so I wouldn't lock myself to any one partner card get what you like the best from an aesthetic or noise normalize performance perspective. I tried an asus tuf 4090 and the coil whine was unbearable and switched to a gigabyte model so it always just depends.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours

nonsense, Asus clearly has a tuffer test these cards must pass in order to receive the prestigious brand of "Tuf gaming" just like in their routers, keyboards, mobos, gaming chairs, etc., otherwise they would just be slapping on some colorful stickers & lights on their regular items while charging a exorbitant premium and I for one would never fall for such trickery.

System Name my system
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce 8g (planning to upgrade to an asus TUF 4070 TI super soon)
Storage 1x 240gb kingston ssd (win) 1x500gb kingston m.2 1x1tb 870 evo ssd 2x1tb hdd (storage)
Mouse Logitech g502x
VR HMD none
Just buy the base model it's the same as the oc varient likely performs the same as well. The strix is a waste of money if asus included a better warranty or it actually performed better in a meaningful way sure but it doesn't so unless the aesthetics are worth the price premium to you skip it.

In my experiences other than Nvidia direct CS is trash from every aib so I wouldn't lock myself to any one partner card get what you like the best from an aesthetic or noise normalize performance perspective. I tried an asus tuf 4090 and the coil whine was unbearable and switched to a gigabyte model so it always just depends.
Thing is, i preferably do not want to buy my cards online at nvdia's store directly so to say. Thing with shipping for "if" warranty comes into effort.
For me the best option would be a physical store, preferably one thats close to me, and I'm lucky there is quite a good one not far from my house where i know one employee that build my pc too.

So, besides going for the direct option from nvidia. Is asus a good choice then?
I mean, there are so much different brands, and let me tell a little story:

My very first card actually was an evga fx5200. Later i moved to an evga 7600, 8800, 9800, 260, 460, 660 (which my brother has now) 970, and now my current 2070.
Almost all these cards where from either evga or gigabyte where the exception is that the 660 is from asus.

I always thought that evga made the most decent cards, but they stop making it. Gigabyte was quite good too, especially (at least in my case) of getting a replacement card when some of my cards failed (my 460 and my current 2070 got replaced very quick via my store and never had problems again after the replacement)

But ofcourse there are other brands as well, but its so hard to tell which brands are good, and which arent, cause i dont have experience with other brands ofcourse.
I mean, gigabyte seems not good anymore cause the 12vhwpr connector could do some weird stuff, of which i forgot the name again, that is not included in warranty. So i preferably wont want a gigabyte anymore.
And as evga stopped making cards, i came to asus only cause i know them from the mobo's (always had an asus board btw, never switched there) and thought, cause of their specific gaming line-ups (tuf and rog) that i couldnt go wrong there.

But is that a right assumption, or are there other companies who might bring even more decent gpu's on the table, besides nvidia itself.
Shame that at the physical stores they dont sell "nvidia itself" ones, and that you "have" to go with an aib. But still.

Thats why i put up this long post, to know from you all "if" there "maybe" (and yes, i know thats a lot of ifs and maybes) another brand that makes decent aib's.

So thanks in advance again!

System Name His & Hers
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Storage lots of SSD.
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
nonsense, Asus clearly has a tuffer test these cards must pass in order to receive the prestigious brand of "Tuf gaming" just like in their routers, keyboards, mobos, gaming chairs, etc., otherwise they would just be slapping on some colorful stickers & lights on their regular items while charging a exorbitant premium and I for one would never fall for such trickery.

Talking about the OC models of identical cards so Tuf OC vs Tuf where typically the difference in performance is less than 1% even a base model vs the best AIB model the difference is less than 3% typically.

Thing is, i preferably do not want to buy my cards online at nvdia's store directly so to say. Thing with shipping for "if" warranty comes into effort.
For me the best option would be a physical store, preferably one thats close to me, and I'm lucky there is quite a good one not far from my house where i know one employee that build my pc too.

So, besides going for the direct option from nvidia. Is asus a good choice then?
I mean, there are so much different brands, and let me tell a little story:

My very first card actually was an evga fx5200. Later i moved to an evga 7600, 8800, 9800, 260, 460, 660 (which my brother has now) 970, and now my current 2070.
Almost all these cards where from either evga or gigabyte where the exception is that the 660 is from asus.

I always thought that evga made the most decent cards, but they stop making it. Gigabyte was quite good too, especially (at least in my case) of getting a replacement card when some of my cards failed (my 460 and my current 2070 got replaced very quick via my store and never had problems again after the replacement)

But ofcourse there are other brands as well, but its so hard to tell which brands are good, and which arent, cause i dont have experience with other brands ofcourse.
I mean, gigabyte seems not good anymore cause the 12vhwpr connector could do some weird stuff, of which i forgot the name again, that is not included in warranty. So i preferably wont want a gigabyte anymore.
And as evga stopped making cards, i came to asus only cause i know them from the mobo's (always had an asus board btw, never switched there) and thought, cause of their specific gaming line-ups (tuf and rog) that i couldnt go wrong there.

But is that a right assumption, or are there other companies who might bring even more decent gpu's on the table, besides nvidia itself.
Shame that at the physical stores they dont sell "nvidia itself" ones, and that you "have" to go with an aib. But still.

Thats why i put up this long post, to know from you all "if" there "maybe" (and yes, i know thats a lot of ifs and maybes) another brand that makes decent aib's.

So thanks in advance again!

Asus is fine they make excellent PCBs again though the biggest difference between models of the same type of card is going to be noise some are much quieter but you will have to compare specific models in noise normalized conditions to know which has the better cooler.

By Nvidia direct I'm talking about an FE model with warranty through Nvidia they've been the best to deal with now that evga is all but dead. Obviously this can all vary by country.

Last edited:
System Name my system
Mouse Logitech g502x
VR HMD none
Asus is fine they make excellent PCBs again though the biggest difference between models of the same type of card is going to be noise some are much quieter but you will have to compare specific models in noise normalized conditions to know which has the better cooler.
So, is asus the top company right now then for aib's? or is there even a better one that i might not have heard of?
I mean, we have msi, pny, zotac etc, but afaik, they aint as good as asus. But ofcourse there are other companies as well.

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
So, is asus the top company right now then for aib's? or is there even a better one that i might not have heard of?
I mean, we have msi, pny, zotac etc, but afaik, they aint as good as asus. But ofcourse there are other companies as well.

To me they are all the same better to look at two specific 4070ti you like and decide if the price premium is worth it. Most people have brand loyalty to the point that anything they don't own is trash but every company makes both good and meh products and somtimes bad ones.

The tuf is an excellent card going by reviews the one I tried had bad coil whine but that was a sample of 1. I've never had an Asus gpu die on me and overall quality is typically good so if that's what you like I wouldn't have any reservations.

System Name my system
Mouse Logitech g502x
VR HMD none
The tuf is an excellent card going by reviews the one I tried had bad coil whine but that was a sample of 1.

Is there nothing that can be done to coil whine, besides replacing the fans or the card itself?

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Is there nothing that can be done to coil whine, besides replacing the fans or the card itself?

There is but honestly I'd just return it till I get one without it also how much it bothers someone varies as not every person has the same sensitivity to hearing. Some gigabyte models have fan issues that cause them to make noise no brand is perfect.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
No such thing as a “top” company when it comes to GPU AIBs. Varies wildly from gen to gen and model to model. If we are talking specifically 4070TiS, then the Asus Strix is the overall best cooler. Not worth the extra they want for it, though. Nothing wrong with the Non-OC TUF.
As far as coil whine is concerned - it’s a lottery. You can get two identical GPUs and one will exhibit it, the other won’t. If you buy a card and the whine is unbearable and is present in all conditions- return. If the whine is present only in some ridiculous scenario, like pushing 700 FPS in some old game - keep it, that’s mostly an irrelevant thing practically speaking.

TechPowerUp reviewed the reviewed the non-OC Asus RTX 4070 Ti Super TUF and that might be worth looking at. Fixing a maximum amount you are prepared to pay and selecting a card that fits the budget is probably the best way to go.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
30Mhz and maybe a couple watts more powerlimit headroom.
or in numbers: less than 1% difference.

At my local PC store there is a price differential between the Asus non-OC and OC RTX 4070 Ti Super TUF cards. Funny thing is the Asus RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16GB ProArt OC Edition is the same price as the non-OC TUF and its spec is the same as the OC TUF. So one solution could be don't get TUF get ProArt...

asusproartrtx4070tisuper.png

System Name my system
Mouse Logitech g502x
VR HMD none
There is but honestly I'd just return it till I get one without it also how much it bothers someone varies as not every person has the same sensitivity to hearing. Some gigabyte models have fan issues that cause them to make noise no brand is perfect.

Indeed, might be the best option there. Honestly i think my new seasonic focus 850w has some form of coil whine. But its only hearable when there is no other sound coming out of my large living room. So if i turn on the tv while browsing, or just game, then its almost non hearable.
Thing is that i had the psu built in by my store, but not bought the psu there. So they have to remove it, and then i can get it rma'd and then the store have to built it in again. To much of a hassle for me honestly. And it might not even have to be coil whine. It might be just that the fan sounds normally, and i "think" its coilwhine.

As far as coil whine is concerned - it’s a lottery. You can get two identical GPUs and one will exhibit it, the other won’t. If you buy a card and the whine is unbearable and is present in all conditions- return. If the whine is present only in some ridiculous scenario, like pushing 700 FPS in some old game - keep it, that’s mostly an irrelevant thing practically speaking.

On my old tower, one of the fans had coil whine which was annoying. So i unplugged that fan, but ye, thought so myself of that lottery. With components wether its for pc, or whatever, you never know if there is something wrong ofc.

TechPowerUp reviewed the reviewed the non-OC Asus RTX 4070 Ti Super TUF and that might be worth looking at. Fixing a maximum amount you are prepared to pay and selecting a card that fits the budget is probably the best way to go.

I read that review top to bottom already! Very nice review indeed, and that also made me wanna go for it!

Like i said, just a tiny bith more then my old 386 pc :D

At my local PC store there is a price differential between the Asus non-OC and OC RTX 4070 Ti Super TUF cards. Funny thing is the Asus RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16GB ProArt OC Edition is the same price as the non-OC TUF and its spec is the same as the OC TUF. So one solution could be don't get TUF get ProArt...

Might gonna check that pro art one too! Thanks for letting me know that one even exists :)

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
On my old tower, one of the fans had coil whine which was annoying. So i unplugged that fan, but ye, thought so myself of that lottery. With components wether its for pc, or whatever, you never know if there is something wrong ofc.
That was probably the fan motor/bearing scratching, vibrating or rattling or other kind of mechanical noise, not coil whine. Could also be impellers resonating with the case. Fans don’t typically produce coil whine. I suppose it’s theoretically possible (the motor IS technically a pair of coils), but I never encountered such a case. It’s a phenomenon entirely electric in nature and stems from the current flowing through electrical components making them vibrate at certain frequencies. It’s not a noise made by a moving mechanical part.

System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / RX 480 8 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / FSP Epsilon 700 W / Corsair CX650M [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
I double down on gents' sayings: there's no point in going the "OC" option; want more juice, apply manual overclocking/undervolting, and who knows, perhaps you're a lucky one and your "non-OC" model can beat some records.

Also this generation is basically the same crap amongst all major and semi-no-name vendors so if your main limitation is the shop's warranty rather than the vendor's then just grab either the cheapest, or the coolest, or the most silent, or the most gorgeous device, you name it. Brand, name, OC/non-OC, Super or Duper, it all doesn't matter, pure marketing. If we take me for example I'd get the GPU with the best performance per dollar ratio amongst those with overkill VRMs. I don't mind my GPU screaming whilst stressed, or it being even fuglier than my nightmares. Fans must blow after all.

System Name my system
Mouse Logitech g502x
VR HMD none
I double down on gents' sayings: there's no point in going the "OC" option; want more juice, apply manual overclocking/undervolting, and who knows, perhaps you're a lucky one and your "non-OC" model can beat some records.

Also this generation is basically the same crap amongst all major and semi-no-name vendors so if your main limitation is the shop's warranty rather than the vendor's then just grab either the cheapest, or the coolest, or the most silent, or the most gorgeous device, you name it. Brand, name, OC/non-OC, Super or Duper, it all doesn't matter, pure marketing. If we take me for example I'd get the GPU with the best performance per dollar ratio amongst those with overkill VRMs. I don't mind my GPU screaming whilst stressed, or it being even fuglier than my nightmares. Fans must blow after all.

Honestly i cant agree with you more here for the saying fans must blow after all.
But i think my questions are answered.

Still gonna go then with that non oc tuf version.

Thanks for everyone that replied :)

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Honestly i cant agree with you more here for the saying fans must blow after all.
But i think my questions are answered.

Still gonna go then with that non oc tuf version.

Thanks for everyone that replied :)

Seems like a solid well built card and in person it's extremely nice. Report back with how you like it whenever you receive it and have time to put it through it's paces.

As for the tuning, I'd touch no VRAM overclocking as the Ti Super has rather overkill bandwidth for 1080p. Only the core clock is worth experimenting on, unless you switch to 2160p or any other heavy artillery.

System Name my system
Mouse Logitech g502x
VR HMD none
Seems like a solid well built card and in person it's extremely nice. Report back with how you like it whenever you receive it and have time to put it through it's paces.

Will do! But its not before the end of may. I will combine some already saved money with the money i will get from my bday, together with some salary. So I will open most likely a new topic when I have the card, and have played with it.

As for the tuning, I'd touch no VRAM overclocking as the Ti Super has rather overkill bandwidth for 1080p. Only the core clock is worth experimenting on, unless you switch to 2160p or any other heavy artillery.

I was never an overclocker. So i will just keep the card at its base, and not tinker with it :)
And also my screen is quite modern, with hdr and g-sync, but still is only 1080p. And its only one and half year old, so no reason to upgrade yet :)

with hdr and g-sync, but still is only 1080p
I'm quite the opposite here: basic 60 Hz, no HDR but 3840x2160. Framerate isn't impressive (6700 XT is about as swift as 2080 Super) but I don't complain. Your 4070 Ti Super will destroy everything at 1080p.

I just bought the Asus Tuf Super OC 4080 and the thing is built like a tank. Solid well built board. I have 0 complaints. Thing is aweomse and stays quiet and cool. Hope that helps you.

Def would buy it again!

System Name Old friend
Processor 3550 Ivy Bridge x 39.0 Multiplier
Memory 2x8GB 2400 RipjawsX
Video Card(s) 1070 Gaming X
Storage BX100 500GB
Display(s) 27" QHD VA Curved @120Hz
Power Supply Platinum 650W
Mouse Light² 200
Keyboard G610 Red
No tangible difference whatsoever.

Just get one with the best looks to your eyes, that's it. These are great looking cards IMO:
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER Windforce
MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16G Ventus 2X
KFA2 GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER EX Gamer
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER Gaming
PNY GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER XLR8 Gaming
ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER (the one you're interested in)
MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16G GAMING X SLIM
GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER Master (last but not least)