• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

When are we going to see CEC support from Nvidia and/or ATI?

streetfighter 2

CEC, for any one who doesn't yet know is Consume Electronics Control which is part of the HDMI standard. Among it's features is the ability to control multiple components from one remote without having to program the remote. More info

I've looked into adding CEC externally with goofy USB adapters but it seems ridiculous and just a temporary patch. I've heard some notebooks support CEC but it was added by the manufacturer and has nothing to do directly with Nvidia or ATI graphics hardware.

I've heard that Nvidia and ATI don't want to support CEC because HDMI is a licensed connector whereas DisplayPort isn't. Unfortunately none of my TVs or monitors have DisplayPort connection.

Are there any mobos which support CEC? When is CEC going to join the growing HTPC market? Will the ATI 6000 series support CEC? Why am I still whining?

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP
im having a hard time understanding exactly what purpose this would serve :wtf:
Edit: wouldn't this be something to take up with microsoft?

streetfighter 2

Great links, I have the same ones bookmarked. They are fascinating and useful but leave me wanting more. It seems like such a pain in the ass to program an interface when one will hopefully be available and backed by mainstream (ATI/Nvidia) hardware in the near future.

im having a hard time understanding exactly what purpose this would serve :wtf:
Edit: wouldn't this be something to take up with microsoft?

One of the things I'd like to see it used for is when I play a blu-ray/DVD on my HTPC and I want to stop/pause/play the movie using my receiver remote (which controls everything else in my home theatre setup). It's annoying to have to grab the multimedia keyboard every time I want to stop/pause/play a movie.

Additionally I have to independently switch off the computer whereas the rest of my components all power off with one button on my receiver remote. I want everything to be integrated so that my friends and family stop asking me how to watch movies on my home theatre. I also want an unlimited supply of beer, not just a kegerator that needs a refill every two days. But that's another story...

I don't see what Microsoft has to do with this directly. There needs to be hardware support before CEC can be implemented in software. ATI/Nvidia cards do not implement CEC while still conforming to the HDMI spec because CEC is optional. Nevertheless CEC is a feature that seems to be begging for availability in the HTPC market.

System Name Ladpot ◦◦◦ Desktop
Processor R7 5800H ◦◦◦ i7 4770K, watercooled
Motherboard HP 88D2 ◦◦◦ Asus Z87-C2 Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Mixed gases ◦◦◦ Fuzion V1, MCW60/R2, DDC1/DDCT-01s top, PA120.3, EK200, D12SL-12, liq.metal TIM
Memory 2× 8GB DDR4-3200 ◦◦◦ 2× 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 ◦◦◦ heaps of dead GPUs in the garage
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 2TB ◦◦◦ Samsung 840Pro 256@178GB + 4× WD Red 2TB in RAID10 + LaCie Blade Runner 4TB
Display(s) HP ZR30w 30" 2560×1600 (WQXGA) H2-IPS
Case Lian Li PC-A16B
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S / Contour RollerMouse Red+
Keyboard Logitech Elite Keyboard from 2006 / Contour Balance Keyboard / Logitech diNovo Edge
Software W11 x64 ◦◦◦ W10 x64
Benchmark Scores It does boot up? I think.
I guess it's time to carpetbomb ATi/nV support email/forum with requests for future h/w support.

Processor Intel I7 4770k
Motherboard Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87
Cooling NZXT Kraken X60
Memory Gskill Sniper 2x8GB 2400 MHZ
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 780Ti GHZ Edition
Storage Samsung 240 Pro 256 GB
Display(s) Asus PB287
Case NZXT Phantom 840
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Core 3d on Motherboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 7 Pro
I havn't looked into CEC in awhile because I havn't purchased any home theater components lately but when I was looking CEC was pretty much useless because it was proprietary to each manufacurer. I don't know if it was hardware or software related but the only way to gurantee that CEC would work for all your devices was if they were all made by the same manufacurer. Have they fixed this? If not how will the ati/nvidia tech work with other manufacturers?