• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Where can I find the AM4 socket pinout

Status
Not open for further replies.
As above. I've got this Cpu from a friend Ryzen 7 1800x, he accidentally snapped the outer pin on the Cpu. Cpu working fine before the pin knackered. Don't have Motherboard yet.

Here is the photo
Screenshot_20190310_223339.jpg

I googled it but came up empty. it seems someone else had a similar issue and didn't find a pinout. Only AMD themselves know. As for that, hmm. Is likely going to be extremely difficult to repair it. IDK what to suggest . You might try it in the motherboard and see if it works , i don't think it will damage the board but not 100% sure. In that thread the OP reported some issues with audio (For some reason). YMMV

Edit: BTW this is not the AM4 socket.

Edit2: Lol it's socket 1150. dunno what they thought in that AM4 pin thread.

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Don't call the morgue yet.

First, try it and see if it works. Chances are fairly good it was just a ground pin or something. If it doesn't work, you can try sticking a piece of a paper clip in the socket matching where the missing pin is. I believe @cdawall has done something similar before?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

First, try it and see if it works. Chances are fairly good it was just a ground pin or something. If it doesn't work, you can try sticking a piece of a paper clip in the socket matching where the missing pin is. I believe @cdawall has done something similar before?

You probably won't find a paper clip small enough for that. I just use pins broken off of another crappy processor I don't care about.

Also, I've hear jewelers can often solder a new pin on.

Processor Core i7-13700
Motherboard MSI Z790 Gaming Plus WiFi
Cooling Cooler Master RGB something
Memory Corsair DDR5-6000 small OC to 6200
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB,,WD850N 2TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 11 Professional v23H2

I've done the same for a Pentium 4 with a pin from a header off a dead mobo.

sneekypeet

not-so supermod
Staff member
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I had this issue year ago....

Jeweler near me said he would have to apply too much heat to make it work. Maybe things have changed for them since 939 days, might be worth a look.

What I did to fix mine was grab some gold wire for crafting. It did take a couple of tries to cut it to the proper length to make contact yet not be too tall (when the socket is locked), but I revived a chip doing it.

Hopefully, you can just plug it into a socket and it works, but as other have mentioned, there are ways to get it back in action.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I had this issue year ago....

Jeweler near me said he would have to apply too much heat to make it work. Maybe things have changed for them since 939 days, might be worth a look.

What I did to fix mine was grab some gold wire for crafting. It did take a couple of tries to cut it to the proper length to make contact yet not be too tall (when the socket is locked), but I revived a chip doing it.

Hopefully, you can just plug it into a socket and it works, but as other have mentioned, there are ways to get it back in action.
Nice alternative. Perhaps copper wire would work as well, if you found the appropriate gauge?

This is why you don't close threads that points how to repair CPU pins, no matter how old the thread.

Find yourself an none working CPU with the same pin size. Get a soldering iron with a tiny tip, (mine is 0.2) & turn temperature to very high, mine is set-to 480c. Put the tip of soldering iron at the base of the broken pin (touching the solder pad & broken pin base at the same time).

The broken pin base should de-solder & in view you should see the full solder pad. Note that before de-soldering the PCB solder pad is mostly hidden & only a tiny part is visible as it mostly covered by the base of copper pin. If you can't see the mostly cover soldered pad, just put the soldering iron full contact on the broken pin with a bit of solder & try & slide off the base of the pin when hot enough, DO NOT FORCE IT. After you have de-soldered the broken pin, there is two method how two solder in the new pin.

If you look carefully at the OP screenshot, you can just about see the solder pad at each pin.

As for AM4 pinout, manufacture's of motherboards will have this information also.

Last edited:

sneekypeet

not-so supermod
Staff member
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Nice alternative. Perhaps copper wire would work as well, if you found the appropriate gauge?

Off the top of my head it was 18 or 22 gauge. Absolutely solid copper wire would work. Pretty sure my "gold" wire has a copper center under the plating.

Not confirm, but this maybe AM4 pinout. Use a metre to see if it tally-up. EDIT UPDATE: False information not AM4

0u7f31cdb2-51a05569-14ac7e53.png

Last edited:
System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
Can't you just sit the pin on the socket (assuming you still have it) and put the cpu on top of it?

Can't you just sit the pin on the socket (assuming you still have it) and put the cpu on top of it?

User(s) claim this works, but I don't see how it can work. You have to see how the socket works, so I suggest User(s) to find any dead motherboard & remove the top part of the CPU socket, It will surprised you. What I fear is, if the pin is just place in the socket, there is a risk it could be pull under the socket.
The pin can cause short circuit if it gets trap beneath the socket, & if it does get trap, there is no way to get it out, other than do a full de-solder of the CPU socket.

Nah, the lack of B2 and H3 tells me that it's AM3. Besides, AM4 has no pins in the center.

Got that from a Reddit Thread, so it's false information.

Last edited:
This is why you don't close threads that points how to repair CPU pins, no matter how old the thread.

Find yourself an none working CPU with the same pin size. Get a soldering iron with a tiny tip, (mine is 0.2) & turn temperature to very high, mine is set-to 480c. Put the tip of soldering iron at the base of the broken pin (touching the solder pad & broken pin base at the same time).

The broken pin base should de-solder & in view you should see the full solder pad. Note that before de-soldering the PCB solder pad is mostly hidden & only a tiny part is visible as it mostly covered by the base of copper pin. If you can't see the mostly cover soldered pad, just put the soldering iron full contact on the broken pin with a bit of solder & try & slide off the base of the pin when hot enough, DO NOT FORCE IT. After you have de-soldered the broken pin, there is two method how two solder in the new pin.

If you look carefully at the OP screenshot, you can just about see the solder pad at each pin.

As for AM4 pinout, manufacture's of motherboards will have this information also.
I was gonna say...I've actually soldered tinier shit with success(with a big ass chisel tip no less). So that's what I'd do. Nothing like a job done right! ;)

I was gonna say...I've actually soldered tinier shit with success(with a big ass chisel tip no less). So that's what I'd do. Nothing like a job done right! ;)

For a professional finish, I used a full infrared workstation. There is no sign that the CPU pin has been replaced with the naked eye, it looks normal. You can used a soldering iron to solder in the new pin, but there will be visible signs it has been repaired.

Processor Core i7-13700
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
What I fear is, if the pin is just place in the socket, there is a risk it could be pull under the socket.
For me with the Pentium 4 all it did was fall down into the socket. No contact was made.

Processor Ryzen 2600
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling AM3+ Wraith CPU cooler
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Software Linux Peppermint 10
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
A small strand of solid copper wire such as found for the wiring of a lighting ballast is the right size.
It has to be the solid (Non stranded) type wire. You can measure out how long it needs to be, cut it and then place it into the hole where the broken off pin would have gone and it should work. I've seen it done before but do be aware it's only suggested for chips ran at stock clocks and voltage due to the nature of the fix.

It is possible to resolder the pin but if your soldering skills aren't up to task it's best to let someone else do that.

For me with the Pentium 4 all it did was fall down into the socket. No contact was made.

This is the correct result I expect to see, open circuit. Besides it not a proper contact even if one was made using this method. ie possible intermittent HR/open circuit.

Last edited:
Will be updated this topic once the motherboard will be arriving tomorrow.

Last edited:
Processor Core i7-13700
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
This is the correct result I expect to see, open circuit. Besides it not a proper contact even if one was made using this method. ie possible intermittent HR/open circuit.
The only way it worked was to cut a slightly longer pin so it touched the PCB in the pin hole, and be in contact with the pad above. Not sure how that would work with the newer sockets.

The only way it worked was to cut a slightly longer pin so it touched the PCB in the pin hole, and be in contact with the pad above. Not sure how that would work with the newer sockets.

Yes that can work, but your still at the risk of intermittent contact. I know what you are saying, cut a pin a bit longer & force a good contact by the CPU pressing down on the pin. How reliable do you think this is. I would not trust it, you better off soldering a pin back on the base of the broken pin.

I would just try it; if you try to fix it, you may break it.

If it passes post, its probably fine. it won't power on self test if something is wrong...
there is a lot of ground or NC's on that pic assuming its an AM4 Pin out . good chance the broken pin is 1 of those.
I don't see this causing damage to the board or chip with a missing pin...

here is what i would do.

1. buy a cheap AM4 board
2. if it works keep it; if not return it.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C

There is a big problem with this, if the surface area in contact is really small and this happened to be a pin that carries power it may very well burn up killing the CPU for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.