• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which version of Linux offers the best battery life for Intel e-core owners?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I have read a few articles now talking about well optimized Linux has become at using e-cores to conserve battery life on laptops, and I was wondering does it matter which version of Linux? or do you just need to be on like Linux Kernel 6.5 or newer to get those benefits?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I have read a few articles now talking about well optimized Linux has become at using e-cores to conserve battery life on laptops, and I was wondering does it matter which version of Linux? or do you just need to be on like Linux Kernel 6.5 or newer to get those benefits?

Yeah for the most part. But thankfully I think all the current LTS distros even slow ones like mint have upgraded by now? Shit I think even debian stable is on 6.1. 6 being the big leap in new hardware compatibility.

For e-cores specifically Intel and AMD are both pushing tons of patches you can see some intel specific stuff here:

but specifically especially for meteor lake and up you want to be on 6.5 and up. They are both still pushing a lot of architectural changes for both current 6.10-rc and the coming 6.11 cycle. At least for the NEW archs, it remains to be seen if they have a massive effect on the older archs but battery life is pretty good already.

Not only the kernel plays a role, but several factors play a role in this area.
You can see that your CPU/GPU usage is as close to 0% as possible when the system is idle.

For example, xmonad will probably draw less CPU/GPU power than KDE Plasma and Gnome.

The best method to see which system configuration draws the least power on your laptop is via an energy meter.
You simply take the battery out of the laptop and then you see how much power the laptop draws in idle status with all apps closed.

ELV Energy Master Profi II is a very accurate energy meter at lower loads.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
mods you can close this thread, I just realized I can never use Linux for work when I travel. my company informed me I have to use their proprietary VPN from Cisco networking or w.e that company is called, its custom one just for my company, and it has no Linux option that I can see.

lol well, that was a huge waste of time. sorry everyone.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
mods you can close this thread, I just realized I can never use Linux for work when I travel. my company informed me I have to use their proprietary VPN from Cisco networking or w.e that company is called, its custom one just for my company, and it has no Linux option that I can see.

lol well, that was a huge waste of time. sorry everyone.

Does it happen to be Cisco AnyConnect? If so... https://intercom.help/privatevpn/en/articles/6385644-anyconnect-setup-guide-for-fedora-linux

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
it does, and i have to login with my company credentials. this might work!

I don't need to mess with it just yet, but i bookmarked this thanks

I had to use the same VPN and it worked out of the box for me with Fedora.