• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why are my internal DVD writers not recognized on SATA 2

IanM

My computer with Motherboard Gigabyte B85M-D3H has developed a strange problem. I can't get any DVD writers to be recognized through my SATA cables at all. In fact my old Samsung SH-244 started grinding during a write at one time and I thought it was dead. No it's not, apparently, as I connected it via a SATA USB adapter cable and it works fine through USB. Likewise, the other drives I tested are recognized through USB. But if I connect them to SATA on the motherboard none are recognized.

For a long time I had an old IDE drive running through an internal adapter card but as it was slowing everything down too much I decided to remove it. I wonder if maybe it has interfered with the SATA connections somehow. It almost seems as though three of my SATA ports have been switched off, but I can't remember doing this, at least not intentionally.

I am sure it must be something simple but I have few computer skills when it comes to hardware and driver issues. I am hoping somebody on this forum may be able to shed some light on this problem.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
The ports might be switched off in the BIOS. Or maybe your SATA ports are configured to run with the old IDE protocol when the drive needs AHCI, or vice versa.

IanM

The ports might be switched off in the BIOS. Or maybe your SATA ports are configured to run with the old IDE protocol when the drive needs AHCI, or vice versa.
You must be correct as I looked in BIOS and noticed that the "Hot plug" settings were all disabled on every port except on my hard drive. I enabled them and re-booted and my dvd drives were instantly recognized, and they seem to be working.

IanM

I checked the settings again and all seems fine. That doesn't really explain why my old DVD was grinding and unable to read any disc, but now it is working again. I wonder if something went amiss when it hit a bad sector writing to a DVD and the computer reacted by shutting down all of the ports except the hard drive? That is really the only thing that makes sense because I never manually switched them off. Or maybe they disable by default if there is no longer a connection to a working device? Whatever the case, it is now all working, thank you.

System Name Nebulon B
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-4800
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
You must be correct as I looked in BIOS and noticed that the "Hot plug" settings were all disabled on every port except on my hard drive. I enabled them and re-booted and my dvd drives were instantly recognized, and they seem to be working.
"Hot plug" usually just means that you can unplug the drive on the go without risking damage, but I'm glad it solved your problem. :)