• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why is SteamOS taking so long to come to desktop for AMD users, when ChimeraOS is the same thing almost?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard B650M-HDV/M.2
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT
Storage KC3000 1TB
Display(s) NZXT 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
Just a general question here to better my understanding. I know Valve stated, or at least I remember reading about it when Deck OLED came out, but they said SteamOS on Desktop was a major priority for them. This would be AMD only systems I imagine, at least at first...

Anyways, ChimeraOS if you actually use it, it loads up and feels a lot like SteamOS. You even login to your steam account as the first order of business when installing ChimeraOS. To me anyway it felt very similar to SteamOS. So, my question is, what is the hold up? Why not give us a SteamOS for Desktop for AMD only users? Then bring Nvidia functionality later on or w.e. I know both SteamOS and ChimeraOS are based off Arch Linux, I really wish Gabe would just offer some money to Chimera team and Arch team, and unite all three teams together, Arch, Chimera, and SteamOS team. Give us one hell of a good desktop OS for gaming!

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I know Valve stated, or at least I remember reading about it when Deck OLED came out, but they said SteamOS on Desktop was a major priority for them. This would be AMD only systems I imagine, at least at first...
No, what they actually said is that they really want to prioritize making the OS available for use in other HANDHELDS. Currently it’s not just AMD, it’s very Deck specific. Desktop version is a distant pipe-dream, if it even ever comes. (Link)

So, my question is, what is the hold up? Why not give us a SteamOS for Desktop for AMD only users? Then bring Nvidia functionality later on or w.e.
Oh yes, a limited desktop OS without the support for two most widely spread hardware vendors. Grand idea, what could possibly go wrong? Seems like a very smart resource usage on the part of Valve.

Give us one hell of a good desktop OS for gaming!
It exists already. It’s called Windows. Nobody, not even Valve (I mean, I say “even”, but they are a gnat compared to MS), will be able to reasonably challenge it in this space. There is a reason why Steam Machines and the previous iteration of Steam OS were dismal failures and Valve wisely switched their focus to a different niche, one they felt was quite open.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30
Storage KC3000 1TB
meh alright I will just stick with ChimeraOS, its basically same thing anyway from what I have used of it so far.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
i had a miniPC that loaded linux with STEAM in big picture mode ... (well it dual booted Win8.1 and that ... ) it worked fine ;) well it was basically the "Steam Machine" from DELL/Alienware (for once an Alienware PC was not too bad :laugh: )

my take would be : Versatility for most users ...

Give us one hell of a good desktop OS for gaming!
although it would be great ... it would be limited to Steam ... and gaming is not only Steam (well you can add non Steam game to it, to launch on Win only... that's what i do with my GoG games :D )
same argument as the one why i would not take a SteamDeck versus an Ally or a Legion Go, and the price :laugh: , it's not only the difference in power

my desktop Win 10 AMD/AMD gaming? great... my handeld Win 11 AMD/AMD Gaming? well same
SteamOS and ChimeraOS? tried, ChimeraOS is interesting although still limited in the number of game, i'd say 30% of my Steam and GoG library, SteamOS well ... we know the result, although a deck would be tinkerable, the price and hardware didn't click for me (basically a 512gb deck was priced higher than the ally, locally, for me :oops: )

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
I hope one day it will be a "gaming" oriented OS.
I don't use more than 20 % of Win 10 ecosystem.
But as always *if* an gaming OS will see the light of the day, it will get bigger and bigger and loose what it made it special
Like the chromebooks, when they came up, the OS was light, now it's like a normal OS, growing each update, with tons of un unuseful stuff.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
There is no such a thing as AMD-only OS or Nvidia-only OS.
Any Linux distro would run on either, as both vendors (and more) provide linux drivers for their hardware. Even your deck has Nvidia drivers (that it has no use for).
I really wish Gabe would just offer some money to Chimera team and Arch team, and unite all three teams together, Arch, Chimera, and SteamOS team
That would go against the philosophy of Arch.

So, my question is, what is the hold up? Why not give us a SteamOS for Desktop for AMD only users?

Many people don't realize it, but Valve is not a large company in terms of employee numbers. Their priority is the Steam Deck.
I'm fairly certain that, in addition to keeping the Steam platform running and game development and other tasks, is more than they can comfortably handle.

What I'm wondering is why ChimeraOS isn't extremely popular?
I recently sold a GAME BOY pocket, PS one, and the first Xbox with a bunch of games.
What really struck me is how easily these were sold. Old gaming consoles are probably one of the second-hand items that are easiest to sell.
And these were an Xbox (the first) and PS one, the resolution of which is really poor compared to, for example, a PS3/4/5.

For these types of very outdated items, people make an effort to pick them up and still pay quite a lot of money.
But then ChimeraOS that supports dozens of console platforms, no one talks about that?

You can easily put together a cheap and compact PC that you use as a console with which you can easily play thousands of these old console games and also the latest sharp games.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30
Storage KC3000 1TB
There is no such a thing as AMD-only OS or Nvidia-only OS.
Any Linux distro would run on either, as both vendors (and more) provide linux drivers for their hardware. Even your deck has Nvidia drivers (that it has no use for).

That would go against the philosophy of Arch.

just fyi, ChimeraOS is AMD only systems. it says right on their website download page. AMD CPU and GPU required for ChimeraOS

Many people don't realize it, but Valve is not a large company in terms of employee numbers. Their priority is the Steam Deck.
I'm fairly certain that, in addition to keeping the Steam platform running and game development and other tasks, is more than they can comfortably handle.

I recently sold a GAME BOY pocket, PS one, and the first Xbox with a bunch of games.
What really struck me is how easily these were sold. Old gaming consoles are probably one of the second-hand items that are easiest to sell.
And these were an Xbox (the first) and PS one, the resolution of which is really poor compared to, for example, a PS3/4/5.

For these types of very outdated items, people make an effort to pick them up and still pay quite a lot of money.
But then ChimeraOS that supports dozens of console platforms, no one talks about that?

You can easily put together a cheap and compact PC that you use as a console with which you can easily play thousands of these old console games and also the latest sharp games.

I honestly have no idea why more people don't use ChimeraOS, at least AMD only users. It literally is the best gaming OS out there, unless you are like @GreiverBlade and don't have many games that will run on it. one cool thing about ChimeraOS website is they have a game search function, so you can type what games you might play, and see if it is compatible, its basically their version of Steam Verified.

Vast majority of games I am playing work just fine on ChimeraOS, also I like that it supports emulators so easily. As I currently am enjoying some Playstation 2 nostalgia.

ChimeraOS is lightweight too, very small in size. I like that. It also uses the latest Linux Kernel, gets updated consistently alongside Arch Linux, etc. So far my experience has been great, I love ChimeraOS. It literally feels just like SteamOS if it was on Desktop lol

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I honestly have no idea why more people don't use ChimeraOS, at least AMD only users. It literally is the best gaming OS out there, unless you are like @GreiverBlade and don't have many games that will run on it.
Real talk? I would think that, awareness aside, it’s precisely because it’s a “gaming OS”. And not in a way of “oh, we tweaked and tuned it for lower latency”, but in the “turn your desktop into a console with all its limitations” way. Most people are PC gamers because they want that holistic device experience. They find it convenient for their work PC to be able to be turned into their play PC without actually doing anything. One moment you are writing papers/rendering or editing videos/day trading/code/recording music/whatever, then, with a click, you call up a launcher or just launch a game and you’re chilling. Chimera OS is a straight up antithesis of this since it wants to avoid desktop mode as much as possible. So as a general use OS, which is why people are actually on PC, it does not pass the muster. And it’s also not recommended by the devs themselves to dual-boot it, so… what’s even the incentive then for someone whose PC isn’t just a toy?

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30
Storage KC3000 1TB
Real talk? I would think that, awareness aside, it’s precisely because it’s a “gaming OS”. And not in a way of “oh, we tweaked and tuned it for lower latency”, but in the “turn your desktop into a console with all its limitations” way. Most people are PC gamers because they want that holistic device experience. They find it convenient for their work PC to be able to be turned into their play PC without actually doing anything. One moment you are writing papers/rendering or editing videos/day trading/code/recording music/whatever, then, with a click, you call up a launcher or just launch a game and you’re chilling. Chimera OS is a straight up antithesis of this since it wants to avoid desktop mode as much as possible. So as a general use OS, which is why people are actually on PC, it does not pass the muster. And it’s also not recommended by the devs themselves to dual-boot it, so… what’s even the incentive then for someone whose PC isn’t just a toy?

I understand all of that... I never said it was for everyone... Linux isn't for everyone in general, it's a niche audience. I have a work laptop I do all my business on, then for gaming is a separate drive/build with ChimeraOS as of right now. I like it personally. Not saying its for everyone. Macbook isn't for everyone either, but it exists...

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
ValveTime(tm) + Testing

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."

Kind of hard to compare I suppose. It's too geeky, people generally aren't Linux/BSD nerds and don't have either the time nor the willingness to learn how it works. Even I opted to just get an old Mac mini for retro game emulation, it's fast enough for that.

Somewhat OT, but modded Game Boys are all the craze right now. I have a modded Pocket with a DMG-themed case and an IPS kit, it works but the build is of bad quality and the motherboard is quite damaged, it's was cheap and works anyhow... on the other hand I have a complete in box, near-mint grape Japanese Color with matching serial that i've been dying to throw an IPS kit, USB-C and rechargeable conversion and a Pokémon-themed shell on... but haven't the heart to drop the money to import the parts nor screw it up since it's in such immaculate condition for a 25 year old handheld.

My flashcart is only an EZ-Flash Jr., it's a rudimentary cart despite RTC support (needs to reboot to write savedata to SD, very picky with compatible SDs as well) and it's a battery hog, using it with the IPS screen and Duracell AAAs I barely get 2 hours out of my Pocket. I had an Everdrive-GB X7 a long time ago but sold it as I needed money to upgrade my PC, and kind of regret it, street prices on genuine Krikzz hardware went significantly up around here since the Ukraine conflict started.

It's too geeky, people generally aren't Linux/BSD nerds and don't have either the time nor the willingness to learn how it works.
That's largely a myth.
For example, the person who came to pick up my PS one and GAME BOY pocket has lost quite a lot of time to make an appointment.
Then he has lost quite a lot of time to make the trip to pick up the PS one at my house.
Then, unlike other buyers, he was also quite suspicious.
And he lost almost fifteen minutes to check that the PS one and GAME BOY were working properly and that there were no chips in the discs and that the GAME BOY was working properly.
He has lost at least 1h30 time to make the purchase of these items.
For myself and many other people, it takes a maximum of 45 minutes to install ChimeraOS and configure some things.
In the time it took the above person to buy a PS one and GAME BOY, I already had ChimeraOS installed and was already playing 45 minutes of more fun games than the ones I sold.

Even I opted to just get an old Mac mini for retro game emulation, it's fast enough for that.
In many games Linux outperforms Windows for console emulation and some of the PS3 game emulations are quite demanding.

My flashcart is only an EZ-Flash Jr., it's a rudimentary cart despite RTC support (needs to reboot to write savedata to SD, very picky with compatible SDs as well) and it's a battery hog, using it with the IPS screen and Duracell AAAs I barely get 2 hours out of my Pocket.
A battery-powered GAME BOY pocket normally has up to 10 hours of battery life.
That is a big difference.
But you can often also use it via a direct connection to the power grid.
I would rather use it without batteries if you really want to use that flashcard.

System Name Specs Last Update: 8/April/2024
Processor Intel Core i5 9400f 2.9GHz/4.0 Turbo (NoOC)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370M D3H rev. 1.0
Cooling be quite! Dark Rock Slim 180W TDP (The Silent Wings 3 120mm Fan)
Memory Corsair Red Line 8x2 16GB 3000MHz (NoOC) DDR4-3000 15-17-17-35 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R) V1.35 ver 4.24
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce MSI 980 Ti Golden Edition (NoOC)| Spare: GTX 650 Ti 1 GB
Storage Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB | Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | Cold Backup: WDC Black 930 GiB WD1003FZEX
Display(s) Asus VG248QZ 1920x1080 144hz 24" (Current: 60hz)
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair 850W RMi
Mouse Logitech M187 wireless (First day of use 30-9-2021)
Keyboard Logitech K270 wireless
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC 2021 / Linux: Candidates: Bazzite - Linux MX - Tuxedo - Kubuntu
Hey Space Lynx!
It is called Bazzite

1- Designed to be immutable like the SteamOS (Hard to brick) -Check
2- Updates are safe, should an update comes with things you don't like, you can easily go to the previous update. "Nvidia driver update broke something you needed? No worries, rebase to the last known good release and pin it so that it's retained as long as needed". -Check
3- Designed for Desktop (KDE/Gnome) -Check
4- Designed for Steam Deck -Check
5- Designed for Handhelds -Check
6- AMD/Nvidia/Intel -Check
7- HDR and DisplayLink support -Check
8- Game related packages and apps preinstalled and game controllers support -Check
9- Extra Hardware Support -Check
10 - Fan and overclocking controllers for AMD and nVidia -Check
11- DistroBox preinstalled, a container for linux apps and can take advantage for hardware capabilities -check
12- Input Remapper, RPG, Android emulator and tablets support -Check
13- Has Flatseal and Warehouse (Flatpack managers) and Gear Lever (AppImage manager) preinstalled -Check

What is Bazzite According to the devs:

Definition 1:
Bazzite is a custom image built upon Fedora Atomic Desktops that brings the best of Linux gaming to all of your devices - including your favorite handheld.
Definition 2:
Bazzite is an OCI image that serves as an alternative operating system for the Steam Deck, and a ready-to-game SteamOS-like for desktop computers and living room home theater PCs.
Bazzite is built from ublue-os/main and ublue-os/nvidia using Fedora technology, which means expanded hardware support and built in drivers are included.

Check the features in detail from the github link.
I haven't tried it yet but I see it solves the problems surronding Nobara Linux that I chose and tried in the past. This is the SteamOS alternative that is actually built for Desktop and other devices in mind but with up-to-date packages and many extras. Unlike the SteamOS that Valve doesn't has the focus to develop for desktop use and thus not recommended to use for that.

This is from Bazzite github page:

"Why​

Bazzite started as a project to resolve some of the issues that plague SteamOS, mainly out of date packages (despite an Arch base) and the lack of a functional package manager.
Despite this project also being image-based, you are able to install any Fedora package straight from the command line. These packages will persist across updates (So go ahead and install that obscure VPN software you spent an hour trying to get working in SteamOS). Additionally, Bazzite is updated multiple times a week with packages from upstream Fedora, giving you the best possible performance and latest features - all on a stable base.

Bazzite ships with the latest Linux kernel and SELinux enabled by default with full support for secure boot (Run ujust enroll-secure-boot-key and enter the password ublue-os if prompted to enroll our key) and disk encryption, making this a sensible solution for general computing. (Yes, you can print from Bazzite)"

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30
Storage KC3000 1TB
thanks, I will keep my eye on this one.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
"We don't package drivers for x" != "y-only OS."
But you sure can build the kernel in a way that won't boot on Intel anymore...

Who's to say that's not the case here?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30
Storage KC3000 1TB
fyi, only reason I really made this thread is because ChimeraOS is just like SteamOS in everything but name (in my experience using it anyway), so I just thought it strange that SteamOS wasn't ported to desktop yet for AMD only users, that's all. meh, but you can just use ChimeraOS if you are AMD only, it's literally the same thing. lol

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
fyi, only reason I really made this thread is because ChimeraOS is just like SteamOS in everything but name (in my experience using it anyway), so I just thought it strange that SteamOS wasn't ported to desktop yet for AMD only users, that's all. meh, but you can just use ChimeraOS if you are AMD only, it's literally the same thing. lol
Do you still need proton? I dabbled for a day or two with Linux mint and proton with Steam and gave up because the drivers for my 4060 low profile kept crashing and couldn't recover the screen.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30
Storage KC3000 1TB
Do you still need proton? I dabbled for a day or two with Linux mint and proton with Steam and gave up because the drivers for my 4060 low profile kept crashing and couldn't recover the screen.

proton is turned on by steam through this just like steamOS yeah.

also it is AMD only OS so your 4060 you can't use ChimeraOS, it simply won't work right as it is optimized for AMD only systems like SteamOS is

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
So I gave ChimeraOS a try out of curiosity. I have a Xeon CPU, but an AMD GPU, and it works just fine. HZD has been my benchmark for these things, and I noticed that it held the CPU to a solid 60FPS, where every other OS will let the CPU breathe. I didn't have Vsync on, so I guess maybe that's intentional since it thinks it's a Steam Deck? At any rate, I also tried Ubuntu 23.10, and it actually beats Windows 10 and 11 in the same benchmark. Amazing how far Linux, Valve, and Proton has come.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30
Storage KC3000 1TB
So I gave ChimeraOS a try out of curiosity. I have a Xeon CPU, but an AMD GPU, and it works just fine. HZD has been my benchmark for these things, and I noticed that it held the CPU to a solid 60FPS, where every other OS will let the CPU breathe. I didn't have Vsync on, so I guess maybe that's intentional since it thinks it's a Steam Deck? At any rate, I also tried Ubuntu 23.10, and it actually beats Windows 10 and 11 in the same benchmark. Amazing how far Linux, Valve, and Proton has come.

yeah I am waiting for around August, then I am going to move (possibly permanently) to the latest beta branch of Ubuntu. Current beta branch expires in July.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
yeah I am waiting for around August, then I am going to move (possibly permanently) to the latest beta branch of Ubuntu. Current beta branch expires in July.
I'm really close to just going full linux for games. I've played Destiny 2 for a long time, but Bungie have always been turds about Linux/Proton support. Even battle eye has Linux support, so their support excuses sound pretty lame. I don't really like how they've changed the game since they went free to play, so I'm not far from quitting them. I don't play it that much anymore.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30
Storage KC3000 1TB
I'm really close to just going full linux for games. I've played Destiny 2 for a long time, but Bungie have always been turds about Linux/Proton support. Even battle eye has Linux support, so their support excuses sound pretty lame. I don't really like how they've changed the game since they went free to play, so I'm not far from quitting them. I don't play it that much anymore.

my only issue is I can't get cutscenes in FFXIV to work right, but gameplay will work strangely.

that's really the only thing keeping me on Windows.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
That's largely a myth.
For example, the person who came to pick up my PS one and GAME BOY pocket has lost quite a lot of time to make an appointment.
Then he has lost quite a lot of time to make the trip to pick up the PS one at my house.
Then, unlike other buyers, he was also quite suspicious.
And he lost almost fifteen minutes to check that the PS one and GAME BOY were working properly and that there were no chips in the discs and that the GAME BOY was working properly.
He has lost at least 1h30 time to make the purchase of these items.
For myself and many other people, it takes a maximum of 45 minutes to install ChimeraOS and configure some things.
In the time it took the above person to buy a PS one and GAME BOY, I already had ChimeraOS installed and was already playing 45 minutes of more fun games than the ones I sold.

Yes, but again, you know how to use Linux and you have extensive knowledge about it, if you asked that same guy "how to write an fstab properly" he'd look at you as if you were actually crazy, guaranteed. Spending an hour driving and then checking out if the hardware is good before committing to a purchase is nothing when you can just put a disc in and play, that's why consoles exist to this day after all.

In many games Linux outperforms Windows for console emulation and some of the PS3 game emulations are quite demanding.

I don't think this is relevant

A battery-powered GAME BOY pocket normally has up to 10 hours of battery life.
That is a big difference.
But you can often also use it via a direct connection to the power grid.
I would rather use it without batteries if you really want to use that flashcard.

You're talking about a normal Game Boy Pocket, not one that has been fitted with a modern IPS screen (and it's a basic kit as well, none of the power delivery system upgrades are present), nor a flashcart... the flashcart uses power, but nowhere near the IPS screen. Besides it's fine, I play on my Color most of the time. I saw they made an OLED screen for the Color, I'm so tempted...