• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows vs Linux gaming benchmarks, by me

System Name Shirakami
Processor 7800X3D / 2200 IF & -30 CO
Motherboard Gigabyte B650i AORUS Ultra
Cooling Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX w/ ultra slim 2x120mm fans
Memory 2x24GB Hynix M-Die @ 6000 - 26-35-28-30 - 65k tREFI 1.55 VDD / 1.10 VDDQ / 1.10 SoC
Video Card(s) 6900 XT Reference / -120 mV @ 2.4 GHz
Storage 1 & 2 TB NVMe - 1 TB SATA SSD
Display(s) LG 34GN850 (3440x1440) 160 Hz overclock
Case Lian Li Q58
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Fedora Linux 40 operating system (daily)
I went for the most simple benchmark runs I could do in order to achieve a general idea of how much a difference in performance (CPU) there is between Linux and Windows. I tested three games, two of which I play quite often. FFXIV, Baldur's Gate 3, and Cyberpunk 2077. For all three games, I intentionally benchmarked in cities where the CPU is stressed the most and at low resolutions (720p) where my GPU will not be a bottleneck. In order to keep things simple and avoid test to test variance, all I did was hold "W" in order to move from one area of the map to another while passing by a multitude of NPC's. Here are images of the areas I tested:

Bench Scene 2077.pngBG3 Bench Scene .png1726167896493.png

I want to note two important things:
I'm fairly inexperienced at benchmarking, don't take these results as the end-all be-all.
My system is far from stock - I'm running DDR5 8000 in 1:2 mode for the synced infinity fabric & memory clock. It's also tuned to hold maximum clocks at all times due to being undervolted (5050 MHz)

This was done purely for my own curiosity to see how much performance I'm technically losing by switching to Linux on the games that I specifically play.
GE-Proton 9-13 was used on Linux (Fedora 40, fully up to date)

Linux results will be ON TOP, Windows results will be on BOTTOM

Linux (Cyberpunk 2077)
2077 Linux.gif

Windows (Cyberpunk 2077)
Cyberpunk 2077 windows.gif

Linux (Baldur's Gate 3)
BG3 Linux 9-13 GE.gif

Windows (Baldur's Gate 3) - I had to use Intel PresentMon on Windows, opposed to the Steam overlay.
BG3 Windows.gif

Linux (FFXIV) -- I double checked the results. FFXIV on Linux does not use Proton, it uses a custom WINE version according to the XIVLauncher developers. This is likely why it performs so much worse.
FF14 Linux 720p 2.gif

Windows (FFXIV)
FF14 Windows.gif

Last edited:
You can only compare a benchmark if it does exactly the same tasks with exactly the same graphics settings.
I don't know if this applies to your results/methods.

Cyberpunk normally performs fairly indistinguishably on both platforms.

Clear Linux used to be often faster than other Linux systems in many games, according to Phoronix.
He has tested this several times over the years and Clear Linux was always generally faster than the other Linux systems back then. (if you take the averages of multiple games)

Window managers often perform slightly faster than full desktop environments such as KDE Plasma/Gnome/Mate etc.
In my experience, FVWM and bspwm perform best among window managers.
FVWM performs fairly similarly to bspwm in OpenBSD which surprises me. I don't know if this is true on Linux systems.
I use picom in combination with bspwm to have no screen tearing and transparency effects. This configuration of picom works very well:
I also use Polybar with bspwm to have more desktop functionality. Clear Linux currently has Sway (wm) among its packages, it may be faster than Gnome.

For the PC games that have achieved the highest sales ever (e.g. Minecraft, World of Warcraft, RDR2), Linux is frequently faster than Windows.

You have games that are faster on Linux and games that are faster on Windows.
To get an (exact) overall picture of which is fastest, you would actually have to test at least 100 games that are among the most popular games ever.
But pretty much nobody has the time for this extensive test so nobody actually knows whether Linux or Windows is faster for the most popular games.

I have done several gaming-related benchmarks in the past.
If you have time you can test them sometime and post your results, I'm always interested in your results.

I am curious to know what results you get if you redo the three tests in bspwm and FVWM.
At first glance, bspwm and FVWM may seem ugly and useless.
Both are very powerful, and the number of things you can do with them is beyond the intellectual capacity of the average person.

Not only can you create very advanced configurations, the look of your desktop is also something that is in your control.

FVWM

FVWM seems like an obscure window manager but it used to be one of the most popular options for Linux in the 1990s.
It is still the default WM for OpenBSD.

Both bspwm and FVWM are entitled to more love from gamers as they deliver the highest fps.