• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lenovo Workstations Owners Club

System Name D30 w.2x E5-2680; T5500 w.2x X5675;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
So, a little (sad) update...my Lenovo C30 died. Just woke up few days earlier to a quiet room. Started it up, only to smell some smoke from the back of the casing. :confused::(

So now, I am without that machine...but already found a substitute, arriving in next few weeks, so keep tracking of this topic. :cool:

System Name D30 w.2x E5-2680; T5500 w.2x X5675;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
So any update?
Yes. So here it goes:
  1. Got some nice computer ordered from Australia, only to find out it was shipped to wrong address inside Australia. So eBAY needed to give me back my money from seller - that costed me some 2~3 weeks time. :(
  2. Then I was searching for another replacement, but could not find any. As I wanted to make an upgrade from C30 to something better & not going with slim design of C30. But the prices were ridiculous (to say the least) for that replacement which I was looking for!
  3. Tried even looking outside eBAY, but could not find anything interesting in web stores. I mean, I did find another affordable in Bosnia & Herzegovina (neighboring country), only to find out that shipping is not acceptable or reasonable. & with a small kid, I can't afford to make a 1 day trip to go pick it up!
  4. Almost gave up, only to find out 2 days ago, that one eBAY store inside EU (in Austria) halved the price on system that is an upgrade from C30 & in which I can put most of my C30 parts in - including my mSATA SSD card (with my OS inside).
So, I am not going to say more. Only that I needed to promise my wife to get rid of one Dell T5500 in order to accommodate C30 replacement. So right now, I am preparing one of my T5500 to be sent to my best man, for his kids to play - it only has 1060 on it, but it is good enough. ;)

So, keep tracking of this topic & soon I will post more! :cool:

Yes. So here it goes:
  1. Got some nice computer ordered from Australia, only to find out it was shipped to wrong address inside Australia. So eBAY needed to give me back my money from seller - that costed me some 2~3 weeks time. :(
  2. Then I was searching for another replacement, but could not find any. As I wanted to make an upgrade from C30 to something better & not going with slim design of C30. But the prices were ridiculous (to say the least) for that replacement which I was looking for!
  3. Tried even looking outside eBAY, but could not find anything interesting in web stores. I mean, I did find another affordable in Bosnia & Herzegovina (neighboring country), only to find out that shipping is not acceptable or reasonable. & with a small kid, I can't afford to make a 1 day trip to go pick it up!
  4. Almost gave up, only to find out 2 days ago, that one eBAY store inside EU (in Austria) halved the price on system that is an upgrade from C30 & in which I can put most of my C30 parts in - including my mSATA SSD card (with my OS inside).
So, I am not going to say more. Only that I needed to promise my wife to get rid of one Dell T5500 in order to accommodate C30 replacement. So right now, I am preparing one of my T5500 to be sent to my best man, for his kids to play - it only has 1060 on it, but it is good enough. ;)

So, keep tracking of this topic & soon I will post more! :cool:
That's a heap of suckage. I hope things go better for you soon!

That's a heap of suckage. I hope things go better for you soon!
So, finally the item arrived...but I had to pick it up myself, as the delivery company messed up. o_O

My wife was ready for a divorce for zillionth time, after I came home with 140x100x60cm big cardboard box & told here it is a computer. :cool:
But all was well, as it is only replacement for older one. Tested & everything is OK, works well.

See pictures of my Lenovo D30 machine:
IMG_9836.jpeg

& one compared to older one Lenovo C30:
IMG_9837.jpeg

The configuration that it got is:
2 x Xeon CPU E5 2640 6c/12tper CPU
128 GB RAM DDR 3 ECC
500 GB SSD (actually 2x256GB in RAID)
nVidia K4000
Windows 11 pro

So only yesterday upgrade was to turn it on, do all Updates, make some configs in Windows & replace nVidia Quadro K4000 with nVidia Quadro RTX 4000. :cool:

Last edited:
As promised, here is the work I did on the Lenovo ThinkCentre I've had for a few years. I've talked about this little system previously in the Nostalgia thread.
LenovoThinkCentreRebuild-01.jpg

It a very lean & clean looking system and fit perfectly into my mini entertainment center where it's home will be.

While doing research for something else, I discovered that this system can take a specific SATA RAID card supported by the BIOS. But for whatever reason, the drive doesn't show up in the post screen.
LenovoThinkCentreRebuild-BIOS.jpg

LenovoThinkCentreRebuild-PostScreen.jpg

Weird. Still the extra drive shows up in Windows so it's all good.

Couldn't find a low-profile bracket for it, so I took the bracket off and used some static-free plastic foam block cut to fit secured with medical grade labels acting as tape.
LenovoThinkCentreRebuild-05.jpg

This system previously had a Radeon R7-250X low-profile. It was the best low-profile GPU that had WinXP support. As I now use a different system for XP duties, this one will now have Win7 and that demanded a better GPU installed for this little beast. I had considered a Quadro K1200, but after looking at performance numbers concluded that it would be bottlenecked by the Core2Quad. So I settled on the K620. It's still being bottlenecked by the C2Q, but not very much. It's a good pairing and the K620 still does MUCH better than the R7-250X. The power savings are a factor to. The K620 is a 40W part whereas the 250X was a 70W part. The PSU in this system is only 280W so that 30W savings is important, especially considering that I'm adding in a PCI SATA card with an HDD.
LenovoThinkCentreRebuild-03.jpg

With that SATA PCI card installed I can now add an addition drive, which as you can see above, is a 1TB drive I had sitting unused. The drive under it is a 960GB Crucial SSD setup as the OS drive.
LenovoThinkCentreRebuild-04.jpg

And of course since this system will have no internet access, Windows 7 is the OS of choice. Yes, Yes. Of course, OpenShell is used to keep the Start Menu agreeable. I also still use RocketDock, and as you can see, Winamp.
LenovoThinkCentreRebuild-Win7Desktop.jpg

All in all, a fun rebuild that will serve it's purpose well. I really like that I have a C2Q in the house and still serving useful duties!

Last edited:
It is time for some update...so here it goes:
  • Wanted to update the procs, but as the system is type 4223 - so only E5-26XX V1 can go on it! o_O (decided to update the motherboard later on...)
    For now, ordering of CPU is under way to change from hexa-core to octa-core! :cool:
  • Removed the previous coolers. Notice that is 2-heatpipes version & 2&1/2-heatpipes versions:
    IMG_9912.jpeg
  • Also, noticed that the (some amateur) put 2 types of pastes on the CPUs... :confused:
    IMG_9905.jpeg
  • So repaste was in order, as only that can be done:
    IMG_9916.jpeg
  • Checked out the 128GB RAM also, to see does it needs upgrade:
    IMG_9910.jpeg
  • Put the coolers back, but using the some old parts from Lenovo C30 system. Notice that it is now 2&1/2-heatpipes on CPU1 & 3-heatpipes on CPU2.
    & yes, I put isolation tape on the coolers in order to make more airflow through them!
    IMG_9920.jpeg
  • Put also Tesla P4 alongside Quadro RTX 4000, for this system.
    Why? Well, my BOINC application does great on it!
    IMG_9914.jpeg
    Running those on extra blower, as that seems to be best for noise & throughput of air (cooling).
  • All those coolers need some extra power. Which is provided by Arctic Cooler fan hub, which I prefer!
    IMG_9915.jpeg
When I finish with testing, old disks go in...so good by with Windows 11 & welcome to my old Windows 10 from C30! :toast:

Sorry for the lack of light, as it is done by night, when a kid goes to sleep. :cool: